Two `Murricans in a Hellcat take on The `Ring....

In the top speed run it took the Hellcat 2.3 miles to hit 203, they didn't have anywhere near that long of a run to supposedly hit 208. Definitely KPH, 140 MPH is a lot faster than you realise. The video of the Camaro run makes this obvious when comparing the two.

Painfully obvious. And yet, ....

Gents, my apologies, didn't want to spoil the thread with small details. It's an awesome car, and driver seems very good.

Gents, my apologies, didn't want to spoil the thread with small details. It's an awesome car, and driver seems very good.

He's an excellent driver. To take that brick around the Ring and only get a little squirrely ONE TIME... freaking amazing.

but it's kph :)

He's an excellent driver. To take that brick around the Ring and only get a little squirrely ONE TIME... freaking amazing.

but it's kph :)

Agreed! My buddy bought a Challenger (another porcine example of American engineering) and when I asked him "What's THAT like to drive?" the first thing out of his mouth said it all....

"She's a little chubby."

Agreed! My buddy bought a Challenger (another porcine example of American engineering) and when I asked him "What's THAT like to drive?" the first thing out of his mouth said it all....

"She's a little chubby."

Ha! A little chubby. The best description I ever heard of Mopar "handling" was directed at my 1969 Road Runner which was "it handles like a runaway truck on a frozen lake" and that was spot on!

Now, in a straight line few things are more fun than a big block Mopar with all four barrels open. That low rumble turns into a deafening roar and the front end jumps up while all the weight pushes down on those rear wheels while you hang on for dear life and laugh your ass off.

Ha! A little chubby. The best description I ever heard of Mopar "handling" was directed at my 1969 Road Runner which was "it handles like a runaway truck on a frozen lake" and that was spot on!

Now, in a straight line few things are more fun than a big block Mopar with all four barrels open. That low rumble turns into a deafening roar and the front end jumps up while all the weight pushes down on those rear wheels while you hang on for dear life and laugh your ass off.

Hey, I had a '69 Roadrunner, too - with a 440 Magnum engine... It accelerated like white heat but I always said it handled like a buckboard... I like your description better! Dangerous car for teenage boy...

Driver's got plenty of talent, too bad the powertrain is in a chassis that sucks. Was fun to watch right up until the first time a Porsche handed them their ass...
Yeah, it`s pretty hard to make a 4400-pound car handle and feel like a Lotus out on the track....being that it`s a street car, with a full compliment of safety and comfort items (power seats, windows, 8 airbags, AC, stereo, 38-various electric motors, etc.), it still turns in a very respectable performance....

So what was the lap time ?

You can get an idea if you do some math since the video is real time. I'm just not sure where the finish line is. They start at around :17 and if that red overpass is the finish line at 9:21 then they did it in about 9:04 which is very good considering top 10 times for supercars are between 7:14 (Lexus LFA) and 6:44 (Lambo Aventador) and piloted by professional drivers.

Almost certainly the speedo was kph. It changes at the push of a button from MPH to KPH. My personal opinion is that it's pretty clearly KPH.

Almost certainly the speedo was kph. It changes at the push of a button from MPH to KPH. My personal opinion is that it's pretty clearly KPH.
The main reason I thought "MPH" rather than "KPH" was that he was up around redline in fifth gear, which is likely faster than 140-ish mph....

The main reason I thought "MPH" rather than "KPH" was that he was up around redline in fifth gear, which is likely faster than 140-ish mph....
Possible. I don't know what the gear ratios are on those and I'm too lazy to look it up. :D

My Dodge Cummins 5-speed takes about 5 minutes to get to 65mph. And then it is a total white knuckle ride.
Thats all.

Assuming it only has 5 gears... the Hellcat uses the ZF 8HP which has... you guessed it by the name... 8 gears.

Definitely KPH - at the start they’re rolling slow through the pits at “35” and it’s like 20ish MPH.

Definitely KPH - at the start they’re rolling slow through the pits at “35” and it’s like 20ish MPH.

That was where I was getting my take from. It was the "slow" speeds that didn't seem slow enough for the indicator to be in MPH. It also accelerated a little too rapidly, even for a hellcat. :)

For those wondering 'lap time' - they didn't do a full lap like all the records are set with. They were waved off halfway down the Döttinger Höhe straight which is a long way from being a complete lap.

Back
Top Bottom