Two pairs of KEFs, not both of them belong to me...

leesonic

Captured on security camera...
Subscriber
I finally got my KEF 104aBs finished and back together. When I say finished, I still need to make some grills for them, and rub down the cabinets and either treat them with Howard's or Tung Oil.

Currently running them next to a pair of KEF 103.2s that belong to a fellow AKer, I just upgraded the crossovers on these. Also running another AKer's NAD 2700 power amp, I just restored this bad boy. Driving that is a NAD 1020 preamp, with a Marantz CD-63 CD player, and NAD 4020 tuner as the source.

Here is a link to the 104 restoration thread :

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/kef-104ab-recap-and-restoration.441578/

Lee.

KEF104aB-13.jpg

KEF104aB-14.jpg

Nice speakers and gear. How would describe the sound differences/similarities between the 104 and 103.2?

Nice speakers and gear. How would describe the sound differences/similarities between the 104 and 103.2?

Thank you.

I would say they sound very similar. The 103.2 seems to be more efficient compared to the 104aB. The 103.2 also has a distinctive upper bass hump, maybe they did that to give it the impression of a larger speaker, whereas the 104aB has a more extended and therefore flatter bass response. Both speakers are excellent at producing soundstage and imagery. I wonder how the 104aB would compare to the Carlton, which used the same woofer and tweeter as the 103.2, but with a BD139 passive radiator like the 104aB.

Either speaker makes me realize why I love this vintage gear. You spend time massaging them back into health, and are rewarded with such great results. I only hope Mike doesn't want his 103s back too soon... :naughty:

Lee.

Appreciate the comparison Lee. It makes sense given the passive radiator in the 104s. I was really curious because the guy who sold me the 103.2s was replacing them with the 104aB. I never had the chance to hear the two side by side. The 103.2s fill my small listening room with sound to my satisfaction, so I am not (yet) itching to change.

And good luck trying to keep your borrowed 103.2s around for a while.;)

Back
Top Bottom