Two runs of speaker wire to one speaker?

z-adamson

Addicted Member
Two sections of speaker wire from one amp output to one speaker input. Two runs of wire that terminate to a single end at each end.

Anyone do this?

I have lots of 14 gauge and my binding posts will easily accept TWO 14 gauge cables twisted together to a single termination point.

The two 14 gauge cables twisted together would be the equivalent of what, a single 10 gauge?

Anyhow, what are your thoughts?

Worthwhile? Pointless?

Hello,
I have a few Technics amp so i have a variety of speaker cables. I also bought silver plated copper in bulk 30metre (100ft) Alpha cable from Element14/Newark

in short , on my Technics SU-G50 - i have

twisted 14/16 gauge wire - not sure what gauge that is, sounds great to me

I havent tried 14/14 but i do have bi-wre cable on another speaker 13awg bass and 14awg mid/treble single end amp end and divded at speakers - on my Technics SB-6 - bass is great as is high end

I’ve done that before. Actually works out to 11 gauge.

Blend leads from both cables for each leg (positive/negative) to minimize inductance. Capacitance is doubled, but not critical for most applications except for electrostatics.

I have that arrangement in my Acoustic Zen Satori bi-wired cables. At the speaker end the conductor pairs split to feed the tweeter/mid & woofer circuits.

hinted at - this is biwiring. some speakers have two sets of posts for exactly this use.

Absolutely no reason to not try it, are you going to twist together each run? If you like the results you can sleeve them and pick you choice of termination show us a picture if you do it.

I gave this a shot and went back to s single 14ga.

At the speakers, it was an easy fit. At the amp, not so easy. It was a very difficult fit and I decided it was not worth it.

Last edited:
I have two runs of 12g except I'm using speaker a for the tweeters and b for the woofers.
I don't know that it sounded any different but I had the wire and the manufacturer actually recommends bi wiring so why not.

A and B are the same.

Yep, for sure. I was just mentioning that because trying to shove two 12g wires into a single speaker terminal could be a pain using bare wires or not possible with banana jacks unless you've got the pass through types. Using both A and B makes it easier either way.

Just wondering why you think it would not be ok to double them up? Is there something in your experience or what you have hard or learnt that it may not be ok?

14 gauge is 8 mili Ohms per foot . 2 would be 4 ohms per foot, the same as 11 gauge. But even 14 gauge is quite big. if your speakers are 10 feet from your amp it is still only adding 20 x 8m = 160 mili ohms. Very low still, compared to the 8 or so ohms of voice coil...

Two sections of speaker wire from one amp output to one speaker input. Two runs of wire that terminate to a single end at each end.

Anyone do this?

I have lots of 14 gauge and my binding posts will easily accept TWO 14 gauge cables twisted together to a single termination point.

The two 14 gauge cables twisted together would be the equivalent of what, a single 10 gauge?

Anyhow, what are your thoughts?

Worthwhile? Pointless?
Unnecessary. One pair of 14 ga. will easily do the job.

On a car-forum this would be like: "what if I run double sparkplugwires on my Daihatsu? Have a lot of cheap stuff.."

One can pigtail the doubled or larger gauge wire to short length lengths that fit the binding posts. IMO that's as good or better than using A+B, considering the extra switch or relay contact resistance and the additional tiny internal wire in most of this stuff.

Another in the pointless column.

yes correct, I was being sarcastic. My point was that with all the varied replies.. how does the OP know what to do? To someone with little or no technical background, fancy answers always sound better than simple answers... And if one gives a perfectly valid engineering "ohms law and superposition says it makes no difference" answer it is trumped by an emotional "but I heard a definite difference" reply. I just throw my hands up in the air and give up. :(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom