Two Turntables, Mixer, Receiver - Set Up Check

mr_soju

I'm wanting to confirm what I've researched and have currently as my setup. Everything that I've read suggests this is the proper way to have this kind of setup without blowing anything up or put too much load on the components. But, I still want to check and this thread can be good for posterity.

Turntables: Technics 1200 MK5 & AT-LP1240
Mixer: Numark M101 2-Channel - (2x Phone/Line inputs, Master Out). It gets the job done.
Receiver: Realistic STA-2280 (Phono, 2x Aux inputs, etc.)
Speakers: Advent 5002

1) The decks get routed to the phono inputs on the mixer (Phono 1 // Phono 2). I switched the AT LP1240 to "phono" on the back.
2) Mixer Master Out to the receiver's AUX. I know - Never use the phono inputs on the receiver for this scenario.
3) Check levels on the mixer (avoid being bumped into the red). Raise volume on the receiver to appropriate jamming level.

The only think I have noticed over the past few years of doing this is the sound is a bit quieter if I run it through the above. There's probably some fidelity loss of course, but nothing concerning or even noticeable. I just have to monitor the mixer and turn the volume up on the receiver a tiny bit more. If I plug either turntable directly into the receiver (how it should be), then yes, it does sound better and I barely have to turn the volume past 25% on the receiver to annoy my neighbors. However, that's a simply unplug/plug fix.

I do this mainly because I'm a hopeless bedroom DJ, the occasional party, and the lady enjoys me getting lost doing my thing as I fade from Azimuth to Leroy Hutson - Hutson 1.

Is this setup as correct as it can be?

I do not want to use an AV switch. That's why there's the mixer.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom