tx-1000 tuner

I hate bringing up an old thread, but I just received a TX-1000 with the same exact issues as mentioned here. It has a few little scratches on the top, but other than that, it looks pretty good, and the guts look like new. I can't see any bulging caps or hot spots on the board anywhere which would indicate an issue.

Right now, I have a nice TX-540 connected to a simple folded dipole and it picks up about 15 station, nearly pegging out the meter, if not pegging it out. Clean, clear, and silent. I swapped it out last night with the TX-1000 and added the Rat Shack F-connector to the dipole, and nothing but static and really really REALLY weak signal on even the strongest stations, and that's only when I tune manually. If I used the "Auto Tune" feature, it simply flies through the entire FM band without grabbing anything.

This truly sucks. I remove the TX-1000 and reinstall the TX-540, and bam, all the stations back again, strong and clear.

p2164453162-5.jpg

p2164453164-5.jpg

Vs old faithful...
p2158363424-5.jpg

Then I will repeat myself. It is not a signal strength meter, it is signal quality. You only need 20 to have very listenable sound from this fine machine.

1) is the antenna attenuator off
2) have you selected the correct antenna
3) have you put signal amplifier in line with the antenna, this helped mine.

Have you read the manual and do you understand more than 40% of it? If not, you have a bunch to learn to be able to get the best out of this tuner. It is not one to reward the casual listener with a nice full scale reading on the signal quality meter without proper FM signal capture equipment used correctly. That means external antenna, a rotator, if needed, and a signal amplifier.

Don't take me as an idiot or talk down to me like I'm one. I've been dealing with stereo equipment for 35 of my 41 years. I know a lot more about this equipment than most of your "casual" listeners. That goes for the "critical" listener as well.

Not once did I mention anything about the meter reading signal strength. I know exactly what it reads.

Now moving on... I'm pretty sure what is causing the issues, at least with this tuner. At some point, it took a hit in the rear what the antenna connections are, and the plastic housing behind them is cracked. Also, I think part of a pin or wire is snapped off in those connectors. When I connect or remove the antenna, it makes nearly no difference. Then I looked at the adapter and noticed the pin was pushed back. So the adapter isn't making contact with the inner sleeve.

I reconnected the adapter with the rear cover off of it, then pushed the pin in as far as I could. Now I'm picking up a few stations. Not strong though as the pin is probably just barely touching the inner sleeve or the snapped off material inside. BUT, it's a move in the right direction.

p2164829546-5.jpg

p2164829545-5.jpg

Thanks for being arrogant and rude.
No problem.

From your initial post you didn't say you knew all that you say you knew in the later posts about the unit. You started the discussion with a review of the condition of the unit, "I hate bringing up an old thread, but I just received a TX-1000 with the same exact issues as mentioned here. It has a few little scratches on the top, but other than that, it looks pretty good, and the guts look like new. I can't see any bulging caps or hot spots on the board anywhere which would indicate an issue."

I see that you didn't mention signal strength for the meter and I wrongly inferred that from your comparison to the other tuner. You hated bringing up an old thread and I just reiterated old thread info based on that urging. I don't know you from adam so how am I to know you know everything you said you did after I posted. Maybe you didn't know that there were two antenna inputs. Geez touchy aren't you. "Don't take me as an idiot or talk down to me like I'm one. I've been dealing with stereo equipment for 35 of my 41 years. I know a lot more about this equipment than most of your "casual" listeners. That goes for the "critical" listener as well." With all that experience, you should do just fine getting this tuner working.

You're right. You don't know me from Adam, so why would you instantly assume I know nothing about the tuner?

Your average Joe-Schmoe wouldn't go for a tuner like this. They would be going for a $20 special. One thing you "could" assume is that someone that purchases a tuner like this may actually know a thing or two about it and tuners in general. Not to mention, if you have eyes, it's quite obvious that there's two antenna inputs. Some might even notice that they are labeled A and B. Again, picking out a tuner like this and buying it, you could assume that the purchaser already knows it has two antenna inputs, among knowing other things about it such as the meter. But anyway...

And yes, I did in fact get it working after pulling it apart.

Well.......... was going to add a bit of info, but think I'll let cube-tube do it on his own. He is obviously smarter than the rest of us. Especially since he's been doing it since he was 5 years old.

Well.......... was going to add a bit of info, but think I'll let cube-tube do it on his own. He is obviously smarter than the rest of us. Especially since he's been doing it since he was 5 years old.

I smell a padlock in this thread's future....

Well, if there's a "padlock" in this thread's future, is because you two are making something out of nothing. Blue Shadow and I already said what we had to say. It was a misunderstanding between the two of us and it's been done with for oh, I don't know... The past 10 days?... Stop trying to start trouble.

And for the record, I was 6 years old, not 5... You know, 41 minus 35 equals 6. So "obviously" I'm smarter than at least one of you.

I had a TX-900, in exceptional condition and it worked excellent. I am assuming that the TX-1000 should be a step up. When it does not pick up any stations, then it must be broken.
Cube-tube, I am glad you figured out what went wrong with yours. Happy listening!

I had a TX-900, in exceptional condition and it worked excellent. I am assuming that the TX-1000 should be a step up. When it does not pick up any stations, then it must be broken.
Cube-tube, I am glad you figured out what went wrong with yours. Happy listening!

Yeah, after opening up the TX-1000 and fixing the rear corner of the unit, it pulls in stations perfectly fine now. In fact, I'm amazed at how well it pulls in stations with just a C.Crane FM Reflect folded dipole. It does nearly as good as my Carver TX-11a with the Magnum Dynalab ST-2.

Thanks rottalpha!

Back
Top Bottom