Typical Newb Question Concerning Speakers

Audiovore

Hi everyone. Today I was very pleased to finally get my hands on a beautiful Pioneer SX-780.
I've searched through this forum a bit and it's been extremely helpful, though there are a few things I'm having trouble understanding. When it comes to speaker load and impedance and ohms, I am 100% lost.
I'm seeking recommendations on floor speakers that would work adequately with the 780.
I enjoy listening to my music quite loud, not on ear-bleeding levels, but I like for it to be... easily heard, to say the least.
If this accounts for anything, I mainly play older Heavy Metal and Rock and my current listening space is roughly 15 x 20.
Right now my budget is pretty low, being $300 at the most.
Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Well, the thing to remember is your amp is mid power, but capable of 4 ohm loads. Thus, I'd recommend you stay away from inefficient speakers. Look for units 88db sensitivity and higher. The high the rating the louder they'll sound at 1 watt of power.

Below is a link for new speakers you might consider. If you find one you like, post a new thread in the Speakers section and ask opinions...

https://www.parts-express.com/cat/floor-standing-tower-speakers/98

Regards,
Jerry

Thanks, Jerry. I've noted what you said about 88dB or higher sensitivity.
I came across a set of big old Cerwin Vega 380SE's, which according to the specs, come in at 126 dB.
Would you say the 780 would be good match for those?

Don't use that number as your sole determining factor. That has no bearing as to how they sound and whether or not you like it.

that would be like buying a car based solely on it's miles/gallon figure.

I came across a set of big old Cerwin Vega 380SE's, which according to the specs, come in at 126 dB.

The 380SE's sensitivity is listed as 102dB. Not sure where you saw 126, but that would be extraordinarily high. Still, at 102dB, they would be PLENTY loud with an SX-780. Just not sure how they would sound - you have to try them and let your ears decide. In my experience, speaker specifications are good to know and understand so you don't damage anything, but many times the uninitiated obsess too much about them. Outside extreme circumstances, most 8 Ohm speakers are safe with most amps/receivers. Find some to try and see if you like them.

I have a SX 680 (my avatar is the 680 meters) and it will drive just about any 8ohm speaker perfectly fine for your uses so your 780 will do the same if it is in good shape. Find some you can afford and if you can listen to them even better but your receiver will be fine with almost any.

You're right, I read wrong and confused it with the max output!
I've always liked how most of the C-Vs I've heard sounded, Infinity too. I just don't know what's safe or a good rule of thumb to go by when testing them out with the 780.

You're right, I read wrong and confused it with the max output!
I've always liked how most of the C-Vs I've heard sounded, Infinity too. I just don't know what's safe or a good rule of thumb to go by when testing them out with the 780.

I would avoid 4 ohm speakers. Even though a new 780 could easily drive them, a 40 year old 780 might be strained driving them at even moderately high volumes. There is such a huge selection of 8 ohm speakers out there that you wont have a hard time finding something great I am sure. Other than that, 40 watts a channel will drive most anything to very loud volumes.

Thanks Bodyblue. So when it comes to demoing, experimenting with 8 ohms would be safe?

Any 8 ohm speaker (in good condition) will be just fine for your 780. As long as everything is working the way it is supposed to, you wont have any problems hooking up any 8 ohm speaker. Dont worry and have some fun!

If you like Cerwin Vega, try some Klipsch if you get a chance. A pair of used models from the KG line might just float your boat. They don't require a lot of power to play loud, have rock-friendly bass output. KG4, or 4.2 or 5 or 5.2 or 5.5 are the models to watch for - I had a buddy with a 780 paired with KG4; he loved 'em. Not everybody does. Worth a listen if you see some listed.

Pioneer HPM 100's pair very nicely with the sx 780 and they can sometimes be found locally in that price range (ebay, not so much). A word of caution, don't post here that you bought them, unless you are thick skinned. :)

I'm one of those omnivores that likes what I've heard in a few different takes within a lot of different speaks? Having said that? What do I spend the most time with that "lets my ears relax better" at most listening levels is a big deal.
(....and with some patience, $300.00 is plenty to get them.)

ADS, KLH, KEF's vintage offerings are a good place to start there (and more modern speaks too....some gems there.)
Just a thought to take into account if you see yourself keeping what you find and settling in for quite awhile.....as much as I enjoy my more forward rockers? It can get to be a thing.

Well, now that we've sorted out the correct sensitivity 102db, my sense is if you like the CV sound, these should be a great fit.

You admitted you like to play loud and these speakers should give you plenty of SPL without stressing your new amp. Putting efficient speakers on a mid power amp is actually a very good idea.

I'm not a fan of CV, but then again I can't listen to Heavy Metal. I believe CV directed their products and marketing towards people who enjoy rock in all it's forms.

Regards,
Jerry

Last edited:
JBL's sound good connected to those older Pioneer receivers. Look for something like a L-100 or L-112. Typically, these cost more than 300 used, but looking in that direction can't hurt anything.

You'll find tons of good reading on 'which speakers?' in the Speakers forum. In fact you could put that phrase (with quotes) in the Search box in that forum and get tons of good discussion.

After you have an idea of specs - and you already do with this thread, stick to 8 ohms and mid to high sensitivity - after that, it mainly it comes down to listening to them to see what you like. Some will sound boomy, some will be harsh, some will be tinny, bloated, fat or skinny. Then you find one you like and buy them. Then you find a pair you like better, and then you have the disease. :rflmao:

Yeah, sounds perfect for your application. Try 'em out.

Back
Top Bottom