U designation on Yamaha cassette deck model #

guitar1580

I just picked up a KX-500U tape deck, and it looks to be pretty sweet. When I look up info. for this model, I see it with the U and without. I notice just a couple of other decks that have the U at the end of the model number, and I'm wondering if anyone knows if it has a particular meaning.

Josh P

General model ie. USA and Canada

Last edited:
I have a KX-500U and I like it a lot. I've also had an RX-300U receiver and a TT-300U turntable, but while ok, those were not as nice as the cassette deck.

General model ie. USA and Canada

If it just was so simple; you are right about the "U", but there are usally several different models.

U = USA
C = Canada
A = Austrailian
G = European
B = British
R = Universal

Fore some reason only the americans need the letter printed on the front, the rest of the world is doing without the extra paint :)

About the European model; I belive that the G stands for German, sinse Yamaha's European headquarter is located in Germany. But the French would propperly not be to happy buying units made for Germany, so G = European :)

I also asume there is a code for the Japan/Asian market, witch would be in the japanese SM.

The SM for my M-80 lists them as:

U = USA
C = Canadian
A = Australian
E = European
R = Others

I'm not entirely convinced the "U" in the sales model name means only the intended market region, but I have no proof otherwise. If it in fact means the US model, then I respectfully submit it is probably for the benefit of the US consumer and Yamaha to try to deal with gray market goods up front, rather than pissed off Americans later on when they find out their gray market unit has no Yamaha warranty.

The SM for my M-80 lists them as:

U = USA
C = Canadian
A = Australian
E = European
R = Others

I'm not entirely convinced the "U" in the sales model name means only the intended market region, but I have no proof otherwise. If it in fact means the US model, then I respectfully submit it is probably for the benefit of the US consumer and Yamaha to try to deal with gray market goods up front, rather than pissed off Americans later on when they find out their gray market unit has no Yamaha warranty.

Thats what I was going by..:yes:

when they find out their gray market unit has no Yamaha warranty.

That would be an issue all over, so I don't buy that one. It is more likly that it's a simpel marketing thing. Americans have this thing about "made in the US", so if a unit is labled especially with a "U"- then it must be good. You even indicate it in you're post.
I'm not entirely convinced the "U" in the sales model name means only the intended market region, but I have no proof otherwise

The "U" units must be a little better than the rest...
Even that they share all the SM's, part numbers and so forth. Only the power supply and plug are different, hail to the marketing department :)

BTW: the list I posted was from the KX-200 manual, I did take the freedom to write "universal" instead of "others" (it's used in other manuals and the power supply is 110-240v, 50-60Hz).

Last edited:
I dont know about the regional suffix letter. Seems that I've seen plenty of KX-500's with no letter at all, and the majority of other model numbers that have no letter at the end. Only a few with the U.

JP

That would be an issue all over, so I don't buy that one. It is more likly that it's a simpel marketing thing. Americans have this thing about "made in the US", so if a unit is labled especially with a "U"- then it must be good. You even indicate it in you're post.

Really, how do I indicate a "U" model is superior to any other?

If the "U" in a product model name/number was/is an ingenious marketing ploy to cater to the vanity of the American consumer then logically it should be on all models intended for the US market, yes?

The "U" units must be a little better than the rest...

Even that they share all the SM's, part numbers and so forth. Only the power supply and plug are different, hail to the marketing department :)

I'm sure they are, to please the discerning American. ;)

One thing is for sure and that is electrical testing, regulatory, and product markings can and do vary depending on the intended region market. UL (Underwriters Laboratories) is the primary agency here in the US. There is no doubt in my mind that UL certification/approval is the mainstay of why there is a "USA" model and the same for a Canada model due to CSA, and no doubt CE and or perhaps TUV in Europe for the European model.

Last edited:
Really, how do I indicate a "U" model is superior to any other?

Well then, lets just say you indicate they are different. And if not identical, there must be some difference. Is it to the better or worse... You're call... :smoke:

One thing is for sure and that is electrical testing, regulatory, and product markings can and do vary depending on the intended region market.

I agree, but the govermential electrical testing and regulatory is for safty and not quality in general. Quality of consumer audio gear is more regulated by the DIN 45500 standard (known in the public as Hi-Fi) or AES/EBU (pro gear) standards.

Marketing is properly the one that differs the most.

Well then, lets just say you indicate they are different. And if not identical, there must be some difference. Is it to the better or worse... You're call... :smoke:

How would I logically make a call when the whole question is based on what the "U" actually means? Could be better, could be worse, could be nothing more than a "U" at the end of the model number.

I agree, but the govermential electrical testing and regulatory is for safty and not quality in general. Quality of consumer audio gear is more regulated by the DIN 45500 standard (known in the public as Hi-Fi) or AES/EBU (pro gear) standards.

Marketing is properly the one that differs the most.

Yes, I agree that UL, CSA, CE, etc. is generally for safety. But, I think it is likely mostly this aspect, regulatory and engineering, as the key drivers for different models when it comes to the service manual designations - A, U, C, E, R, etc.

Marketing can develop different literature for different regions without having a different (for lack of better terms) engineering/service model. For example, there is no M-80u sales model, just M-80. From a functional standpoint there are differences between the engineering models (A, U, C, E, R, etc) to facilitate the regional requirements of power cord styles, operating voltages, power consumption labling differences, manufacturing/bill of materials, parts catalog/list, etc.

From a sales/marketing standpoint, regardless of having different engineering model numbers, M-80 is essentially functionally equivalent around the world. One sales/marketing difference that comes to mind is the output power rating methodology - what the brand is selling and what the customer is buying. For the US, the rating typically would be per FTC guidelines, for Europe it may be per DIN or IEC power ratings. From an engineering standpoint, they're just different ways of stating capability of (essentially) the same amplifier.

Last edited:
I was going to ask Yamaha USA about the KX-500U vs. KX-500 just to see what they say, but either the US Yamaha website has been hijacked or they've done a poor job at providing a redirect alternate site during an update of some sort.

The "U" designation was applied to models destined for the US and Canada because grey market imports were such a huge problem at the time. We'd have unhappy customers with blown-up Japanese-market products (imported by Leo's Stereo, Crazy Eddie, etc.) bring or send them to us for warranty service, only to learn that YEC did not import them, and worse, did not warrant them.

This made for a tremendous amount of bad will, so we decided that since the US market was so large, we'd designate those models with a U to more easily differentiate legitimate models from grey-market ones.

Back
Top Bottom