U-Turn Audio’s $150 Orbit turntable- pic

Picked up one from a local AKer today, got it hooked up and it sounds good. There are some obviously cheaply built pieces, but it's to be expected. It looks very nice, sounds good, and seems to be a good value. I'm happy.

Did you get a model with the newer motor mount/bearing/drive system?

Hows this thing compare to the MMF 2.2? I thought I already had the cheapest entry level audiophile grade TT available. Just bought the acri-plat though so that brings it to 575 invested hope it pans out.

OK, did some changes.

For speakers I raided my storage and pulled out my pair of Orb Audio orbs and paired them with an Outlaw sub.

Kept the Outlaw receiver.

Sent my TT to U-turn and they are VERY nice. They looked it over and found nothing wrong.

Changed cartridge to AT95SE.

Got Sony PS-LX5 on Ebay with AT95SE (got it because it was in great condition and I couldn't resist).

The U-turn still sounds muddy and lacks detail.

Last night compared the same album using the U-turn, the Sony and Spotify from the PC connected to that Outlaw receiver through USB.

Spotify was the clear winner with far superior detail. Sony was not too bad. U-turn was the clear loser of all three with much less pronounced highs and muddy midrange.

At this point I think the logical conclusion is that I have to get something significantly more high-end than the U-turn, so I'm gonna start my research. Marantz TT-15S1 looks good but I am not sure I want to spend this kind of money on a TT, at least not unless I cannot find something decent for under 1000.

Any pics? Would love to see the setup!

Probably not what you expected...:D

XBvL1EQ.jpg

9BHJi7V.jpg

t6pAm11.jpg

elnYfWH.jpg

iGaaOdH.jpg

Better 'detail' doesn't necessarily mean better sound quality, especially if Spotify is the reference. 'Greater detail' sounds more like upper frequency response aka the Spotify via PC was brighter, which I do not find surprising. That said the LX5 is an *excellent* turntable greatly overlooked as most Sony's are so I'm not surprised if it sounds better than a U-Turn.

The speaker placement doesn't give me a lot of confidence for audio evaluation. They look to be not only close to the TV but behind it as well with lots of other surfaces in front of them. And unless they are amazing drivers with a stellar crossover to a sub I have my doubts they are going to allow for an accurate comparison.

Edit: I thought they were Gallo but I see they are Orb speakers. So yeah, I'd bet they have especially poor FR, making for a difficult comparison.

Last edited:
Better 'detail' doesn't necessarily mean better sound quality, especially if Spotify is the reference. 'Greater detail' sounds more like upper frequency response aka the Spotify via PC was brighter, which I do not find surprising. That said the LX5 is an *excellent* turntable greatly overlooked as most Sony's are so I'm not surprised if it sounds better than a U-Turn.

The speaker placement doesn't give me a lot of confidence for audio evaluation. They look to be not only close to the TV but behind it as well with lots of other surfaces in front of them. And unless they are amazing drivers with a stellar crossover to a sub I have my doubts they are going to allow for an accurate comparison.

Edit: I thought they were Gallo but I see they are Orb speakers. So yeah, I'd bet they have especially poor FR, making for a difficult comparison.

Good points. Unfortunately I don't own anything that can be called a "music" speaker.

I have Energy Connoisseur for my HT setup, the two Orbs, two Athena S2-P2 combos and also a pair of Sound Dynamics bookshelves - none are particularly good for music.

Still, when you have several sources and of all of them one in particular sounds inferior every single time, I am not sure that pairing it up with a very good speaker will suddenly make it sound better.

To be honest, the U-Turn is an entry level TT. So there are better tables on the market. The Marantz is way up the ladder compared to the U-Turn, so should sound better.

Final update.

Decided to try out Pro-Ject RM1.3 w/Sumiko Pearl (well, Amazon Prime makes it easy to try stuff out and there was a white one available at that time).

Not sure if this is the cart or the TT but the resulting combo sounds substantially superior to the U-turn so I will be keeping the Pro-Ject.

I run that Pro-Ject table and really enjoy it. And the Sumiko is a very pleasant cart. Enjoy :)

Probably not what you expected...:D

XBvL1EQ.jpg

9BHJi7V.jpg

t6pAm11.jpg

elnYfWH.jpg

iGaaOdH.jpg

No, definitely not what I expected! But I have that SAME Windows startup screen on my Dell desktop PC! :thmbsp:

How do you like the Outlaw stereo receiver? You should move your stereo components to a separate room/area so you can have a dedicated two-channel rig powered by the Outlaw...just my two cents. :thmbsp:

Back
Top Bottom