U-Turn Audio’s $150 Orbit turntable- pic

No, definitely not what I expected! But I have that SAME Windows startup screen on my Dell desktop PC! :thmbsp:

How do you like the Outlaw stereo receiver? You should move your stereo components to a separate room/area so you can have a dedicated two-channel rig powered by the Outlaw...just my two cents. :thmbsp:

I like the Outlaw but I bought it a long time ago when they first came out - in 2006 or so. It does have good bass management and sounds very neutral (the way amps and receivers should sound imho). Does not matter to me but for those with very high end turntables, it does have a MM/MC selector on the phono input. Also Outlaw is a local company so me wanting to support a local business did play a part in my puchasing decision.

As far as separate room - not feasible because in my case WAF pertains not to equipment (wife does not care unless I buy something completely outrageous) but to music itself (we have very different tastes) - thus listening has to be done in the basement, which already has a HT setup in a separate room, so the only area available for 2 channel stereo is the play area, thus the bizarre video game/vinyl setup :)

Not really HTPC, more like gaming PC.
Too loud at full power to be a HTPC :)

Okay; either way, I never personally understood the "HTPC" thing -- as an enthusiast of home theater, I run my Blu-ray player directly into an A/V receiver, which powers my speakers, with the video being passed off to my display (all via HDMI) and THAT'S how I watch film...:thmbsp:

I like the Outlaw but I bought it a long time ago when they first came out - in 2006 or so. It does have good bass management and sounds very neutral (the way amps and receivers should sound imho). Does not matter to me but for those with very high end turntables, it does have a MM/MC selector on the phono input. Also Outlaw is a local company so me wanting to support a local business did play a part in my puchasing decision.

I considered this receiver when I was shopping for one for a dedicated two-channel room but I couldn't justify the cost and didn't care for its "art deco throwback" looks...

As far as separate room - not feasible because in my case WAF pertains not to equipment (wife does not care unless I buy something completely outrageous) but to music itself (we have very different tastes) - thus listening has to be done in the basement, which already has a HT setup in a separate room, so the only area available for 2 channel stereo is the play area, thus the bizarre video game/vinyl setup :)

That's too bad that you can't make a dedicated room work; my wife and I set up a listening system in an upstairs loft where we relax with a 60 gallon fish tank, along with our music system -- I like it better than having everything in one system (home theater and music) but sometimes rooms just have to suffice...

Okay; either way, I never personally understood the "HTPC" thing -- as an enthusiast of home theater, I run my Blu-ray player directly into an A/V receiver, which powers my speakers, with the video being passed off to my display (all via HDMI) and THAT'S how I watch film...:thmbsp:

BluRay is a digital format and can be ripped to a hard drive with no loss in quality, HTPC's have customizable front-ends and media solutions for home theaters and other uses that makes the content instantly accessible without the need for using (and potentially damaging) expensive discs. An HTPC can also get around tricky little hassles like region-encoded foreign films.

Decided to try out Pro-Ject RM1.3 w/Sumiko Pearl (well, Amazon Prime makes it easy to try stuff out and there was a white one available at that time).

The ProJect is a nice turntable.

I have it installed at my desk at work, listening to headphones while concentrating on other things. In my situation, I can't tell the difference. :)

At least it should cut down on the dust, if it doesn't affect the sound, that's a plus! Glad you're enjoying it. Folks here would appreciate a review!

Run your audio collection in full quality Flac through a high end soundcard. Rip Blu-rays. Play video games (including emulating N64 etc). Go on the web properly stream content (many of which there is no app for), Listen to Belgian radio stations if you want... etc.

My HTPC vs my PS4.. There's no contest. The PS4 can't do half of what I can do on the HTPC. A computer hooked to the TV is awesome.

I got my U Turn Orbit Plus with an AT95E, I ordered it the 15th, it arrived the 16th, nice. As far as initial impressions, I am more then pleased, obviously the 95E needs a bit of break in, but the bass is full and tight, instruments appear correctly in the soundstage. Subtle strings during songs sound lush and real, really, I think it sounds far better then expected. I am happy to have it, oh, and I got the Green one, decided to stay away from Black or White. If anyone is looking for a first table or an extra, I'd have no issue suggesting the Orbit Plus.

I just ordered one of these with a Grado Black installed. AC motor, Grado -- I hope it doesn't hummmmmmmmmm.

Anyone else have this combo?

I just ordered one of these with a Grado Black installed. AC motor, Grado -- I hope it doesn't hummmmmmmmmm.

Anyone else have this combo?

I do. I love it. The motor is mounted on the side, not underneath, so it isnt close enough to pick up the hum; that happened to tables where the motor was underneath and the cart traveled over it.

Does anyone have experience with the version 2 tonearm? It started shipping back in October but I haven't seen many new impressions that might include the new tonearm.

Does anyone have experience with the version 2 tonearm? It started shipping back in October but I haven't seen many new impressions that might include the new tonearm.

Considering even the father of one of U-Turn's founders got chased off the forum, I wouldn't expect much feedback on any new developments.

My memory is that he spoke highly of the table without first stating that he was related to a founder, and there were some posters who thought this wasn't quite on the up and up. I don't think that he was 'chased off' - it seems to me that we are pretty welcoming bunch when people are upfront about their situation - but there were some strong feelings on the part of those who supported the table and its crowdfunding, and those who were more skeptical about the difficulties of getting a table to market, and the challenges of staying in business, so I guess some see it that way.

it seems to me that we are pretty welcoming bunch when people are upfront about their situation

Unfortunately I can't agree, for as long as i have been around I've found a deep seated mistrust of most every potential or actual vendor posting in open forums, yes its a fine line to walk between self promotion and being helpful, but when I think back to U -Turn, Phoenix Engineering and others
I shake my head.
Perhaps its been the vendors fault at times but others not so much.
The notable exemption being Rothwell a great help to members.

It seems reasonable, not mistrustful, to ask that posters disclose their involvement before offering what is purported to be an unbiased evaluation. If you want to sell something, we have forums for that. If you want to praise or pan something on it's own merits, we have forums for that.
I don't see it as much nowadays, but it used to be expected, and it may have been required, that if you posted a link to a sale, you had to include a statement that you were not involved in it in any way. Similarly, condemnation of companies and products, especially thrift shop type places and shipping companies, are pretty tightly controlled by moderators. No site is immune to hyping, manipulation and trolling, but one of the reasons I like AK is that it's relatively free of such stuff.

Fluance has warped platters, and poor speed specs. By the time you put a few things on the U-Turn you are paying $400+ For that price you could have an automatic Technics, that will out perform it. You will have $200 left over for a cart.

My memory is that he spoke highly of the table without first stating that he was related to a founder, and there were some posters who thought this wasn't quite on the up and up. I don't think that he was 'chased off' - it seems to me that we are pretty welcoming bunch when people are upfront about their situation - but there were some strong feelings on the part of those who supported the table and its crowdfunding, and those who were more skeptical about the difficulties of getting a table to market, and the challenges of staying in business, so I guess some see it that way.

I found his original post on like the 10th page of this thread, and he states right off the bat that he's Rob (Bob) Hertig's father. He wrote the post Nov 27, 2012 and last edited it Nov 27, 2012 so he didn't go back later and add that he's related or anything.

Here's the relative quote:

I happen to be the father of Rob (Bob) Hertig, main inventor of the Orbit U-Turn TT and am very close to his years of work...

Back
Top Bottom