Ubuntu 16.04 HTPC Issues

I'm going to fight with it this weekend, hopefully I can get something working. At first this week I was messing with hardware acceleration stuff in Google then it hit me, this also happens with dvd, not just streaming.

Well here's what I've done so far.

I started the other day by upgrading 14.04 to 16.04, that was a mess. Then I reloaded a fresh 14.04 and had tearing/humming, so I pulled out another disc and thought I was loading a fresh 16, instead it was 15 ! So I downloaded 16.04 it's loaded. That resulted in dvd with no no tearing, but youtube still tearing. Then I went to messing with google. In settings "use hardware acceleration when available" was already on, but look at the list I had in the first picture. Went into flags and enabled "Override software rendering list" and this I think has solved tearing. Still a slight hum sometimes when on the svga when theres brighter colors, nothing near what it was though ?

Started with this in google in chrome://gpu/

Screenshot from 2017-12-29 19-56-42.png

Now it's at this point and no tearing so far.

Screenshot from 2017-12-29 20-04-232.png

Screenshot from 2017-12-29 20-04-23.png

Graphics Feature Status
  • Canvas: Hardware accelerated
  • CheckerImaging: Disabled
  • Flash: Hardware accelerated
  • Flash Stage3D: Hardware accelerated
  • Flash Stage3D Baseline profile: Hardware accelerated
  • Compositing: Hardware accelerated
  • Multiple Raster Threads: Disabled
  • Native GpuMemoryBuffers: Software only. Hardware acceleration disabled
  • Rasterization: Software only. Hardware acceleration disabled
  • Video Decode: Hardware accelerated
  • Video Encode: Hardware accelerated
  • WebGL: Hardware accelerated
  • WebGL2: Hardware accelerated

Last edited:
Couple of weeks ago I hooked a digital tuner to the projector so I could watch tv on it if I wanted. When I disconnect the antenna coax from the tuner the hum is completely gone. Some kind of interference issue ? Looks like I'll be playing with cable routing to see if it's possible to have the tuner hooked up.

No hum no tearing !

Good video to check for tearing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom