ug, scratches

peripatetic

I'm posting this on other forums, but since you're all DIYers, thought I'd ask here. I got some light-but-very-ugly-and-noticeable scratches on a Marantz CD player. It's black, brushed metal (Al?), and the scratches are lighter in color--a couple of them are down to the shiny metal underneath.

Anyone have any quick suggestions to help me restore the finish and not muck it up more? Touch-up paint? It's not painted, though, is it?

Thanks,

max

It's probably black anodize and impossible to replace it unless you have it reanodized and you will lose all letterings.

The best thing I can recommend is spray paint by covering rest of system with newspaper and masking tape. Color matching is not easy though.

let me know what you decide to do..

wsjoe

dang. thought that might be the answer. I personally don't care, but I want to sell the thing, and the scratch it's got is really ugly. maybe i'll try the spray paint--the scratch isn't deep in the front, and it doesn't go over any lettering, it's just ... ugly.

thanks for the input, anyway.

Before you start spraying anything, why not try a black magic marker first? Nothing to lose, and spray painting can easily get out of hand...

As Aage said, try the black marker. There is also another product that I use, although I haven't tried it on anodized finish. It's a lacquer pen, which contains black lacquer paint. They are typically sold at hobby stores. These things are great for small jobs like that. Black is a VERY hard color to match though. It's amazing how many textures and finishes black paint has.

Mark

Wow, alright. Thanks for the new suggestions. Marker sounds good, as does the laquer pen. Think maybe I'll try the flat marker, pen, and then try and build up the shine, slowly.

Just to ease anyone's mind, I'm not doing this up to totally overprice it and sell it. I'm just trying to sell it because I bought it used, but then realized that it couldn't accomodate normal RCA jacks. Somewhere in the process of a move, it got this scratch in it, and I just don't want the scratch to actually bring down the value of the player, as I'm only trying to recover my initial cost on an unused device.

I know that was fairly long-winded, but hopefully, you got the point.

Thanks again for the suggestions,

max

That's a solution I have tried before. Though they are all black, there are
coloration differences and matching is also a challenge but alot easier to test
than spraying. I have noticed that most markers such as sharpie tends to be on
the red side of black. Ask your wife and she can tell you how different one is
to another. They have better eyes for these kinds of things.

Back
Top Bottom