Ugly but effective (so far) speaker treatment.

goodolpg

Just an old fart trying to help.
Subscriber
Looks terrible, but seems to be working. New kitty with claws, hoping to discourage her from using the speakers as scratching posts.AA Speaker preservative 9247.jpg

Last edited:
That is double sided carpet tape (glue on both sides of the tape).
I wonder if it is available in black as it would not look so shabby.

Here is the reason for my new "speaker preservative treatment"....
AA Biscuit in closet 9249.jpg

Just got a new furry friend last weekend from the local shelter.
My previous cats were declawed, this one is not and I signed papers saying I would not have her declawed and I am a man of my word.

Congrats on your new friend... she looks very at home with you. My cats have always had their claws too. We had a problem with one cat scratching furniture and talked to our vet about it. In the neighborhood he's referred to as the "cat whisperer". Great with medical issues but also good with behavior problems like scratching, not using the litterbox, etc. He pointed out that in the wild a cat will use a tree to scratch and sharpen their nails. If you don't give them something as sturdy as a tree they'll use your sofa, speakers, etc. Whatever won't move when they scratch. That made perfect sense to me. Bought a big cat condo that weighs a ton and I've never had any problems with cats scratching anything other than that. He also recommended an empty can with some coins in it (tape over the opening) and shake it if you do catch them doing something they shouldn't. All I have to do is reach for the can and my cat bolts... I can't remember the last time I had to use it though. I know it's been years.

You might try that and see if she uses it over the speakers... or not... I don't know that I would take the chance with those Infinitys either. Just wanted to offer up my experiences.

that stuff will pull the veneer and/or paint off your speakers, be warned.

Yes, I know, but nice of you to point it out in case someone else were to consider trying the same thing.
That was a prime concern when I "cat proofed" them, double back tape is VERY STICKY and can easily cause damage when pulled off some surfaces.

I put 1/4" X 1" trim around the grille frames of the RS II's (to keep them rigid, they were broke when I bought them last year) the tape is touching the grille frames and grille cloth. The double side tape is touching the woofer compartment top (and that is the only place the tape is actually touching the speakers cabs themselves), I put a strip there in case kitty thought that was a nice ledge to perch on...cabinets are oiled, the top coat is Howards Feed n wax, which has orange oil, the shelter people and Google both say cats do NOT like citrus scent so hopefully no harm will be done.
I'm most concerned about the two strips on top of the IL120s subwoofer, I have those very loosely attached.
New kitty doesn't like the stereo at all....old kitty would sit right next to the speakers or on my lap when I was rocking out.

Last edited:
Congrats on your new friend... she looks very at home with you. My cats have always had their claws too. We had a problem with one cat scratching furniture and talked to our vet about it. In the neighborhood he's referred to as the "cat whisperer". Great with medical issues but also good with behavior problems like scratching, not using the litterbox, etc. He pointed out that in the wild a cat will use a tree to scratch and sharpen their nails. If you don't give them something as sturdy as a tree they'll use your sofa, speakers, etc. Whatever won't move when they scratch. That made perfect sense to me. Bought a big cat condo that weighs a ton and I've never had any problems with cats scratching anything other than that. He also recommended an empty can with some coins in it (tape over the opening) and shake it if you do catch them doing something they shouldn't. All I have to do is reach for the can and my cat bolts... I can't remember the last time I had to use it though. I know it's been years.

You might try that and see if she uses it over the speakers... or not... I don't know that I would take the chance with those Infinitys either. Just wanted to offer up my experiences.

I told the shelter people 99% of my house is anything goes as far as the kitty...only things off limits are my speakers.
I would think those RS II's would be quite attractive for a kitty looking to scratch.

I did buy two cat scratchers last weekend. I also have lots of land so if need be I will go cut about a foot long piece of tree and screw it to a stand and put it where kitty can use it.
This cat (she's about 4 so not really a kitten) is used to having her claws trimmed, I had them show me how (hey, just do them all while your showing me...).
In 6 days I haven't really noticed her scratching anything at all, could be the trimmed claws, could be she's just not much of a scratcher...hoping to remove the ugly tape in the near future.

I don't know where to go with this... ruining a perfectly good pair of speakers due to an adopted "yard rat". I have a military bred GS dog that is now approaching 12 years old, and has never messed with any of my audio gear. I have several solutions, but you most likely won't like any of them.

What, specifically, is the problem that needs fixed? Vibrating grill or ?? You never stated in the OP.

What, specifically, is the problem that needs fixed? Vibrating grill or ?? You never stated in the OP.

New cat with claws in the house.
I suspect those 4 foot tall things (speakers) with cloth coverings look mighty attractive to a cat with sharp claws.
It would not be difficult for a cat to be scratching on the grilles and rip the woofer surrounds.
Between the citrus scent and the sticky tape I am hoping the cat will find them unpleasant enough to avoid them.

My previous cats were declawed, and I had RSM's that were up on stands so this is a whole new situation to me.

I don't know where to go with this... ruining a perfectly good pair of speakers due to an adopted "yard rat". I have a military bred GS dog that is now approaching 12 years old, and has never messed with any of my audio gear. I have several solutions, but you most likely won't like any of them.

While it's currently "ugly" they are not ruined.
In fact, ruination is what I am trying to avoid.
In time the tape will come off.

I could tell you what to do with your GS dog but you probably wouldn't like it.

May I make a different suggestion? Why not make some metal mesh grilles, or have some made? That'll offer the best protection, and keep the cosmetics. See this page...

http://www.speakerworks.com/speaker_grills_s/34.htm

Good on you for giving an animal a home! She's very pretty.

G~

(the one in the middle on the top row is what I'm looking at, the black perforated steel)

Nice looking cat. There are just so many at the shelter aren't there... Don't have any ideas but the coffee can with pennies in it is a good one. We had a cat which love to sharpen his mitts on the spines of our album covers while on the shelf. Totally shredded many of them. Never could get him to not do that.
My dog will do anything for a piece of cheese the cat is a different story. I think they own us...love em though. Best of luck with her.

May I make a different suggestion? Why not make some metal mesh grilles, or have some made? That'll offer the best protection, and keep the cosmetics. See this page...

http://www.speakerworks.com/speaker_grills_s/34.htm

Good on you for giving an animal a home! She's very pretty.

G~

(the one in the middle on the top row is what I'm looking at, the black perforated steel)

The 12" by 24" sheets would be just about right...maybe I could secure them with bluetak on the corners, thanks for the link!

Nice looking cat. There are just so many at the shelter aren't there... Don't have any ideas but the coffee can with pennies in it is a good one. We had a cat which love to sharpen his mitts on the spines of our album covers while on the shelf. Totally shredded many of them. Never could get him to not do that.
My dog will do anything for a piece of cheese the cat is a different story. I think they own us...love em though. Best of luck with her.

It's a crappy picture but right near the right speaker, on the floor, there are two stacks of records...hoping kitty doesn't notice them.
A spray bottle with water is often recommended as a good deterrent for unwanted kitty behavior.
She isn't real fond of loud sounds so the can with coins might be just the trick.

****DANGER DANGER****

*****Boring new cat owner post ahead, please turn back now.*****

A couple nights ago I turned on the stereo for the first time with new kitty here, kitty did not like the 80 or so blinking lights on the EQ and she wasn't thrilled about the noise either.
Last night turned the volume up a little, kitty is used to the blinking lights now.
Tonight turned the volume up a little more...volume is set at just about 9:00 on the dial...when I'm gettin' down I haven't gone above 10:00 with my current setup (which is quite loud in my room) so getting close to back to normal.
She's sitting on the top of the couch, centered, in the sweet spot.

This might just work out ok.:music:

If those were my Infinity's ... The cat would have a new home.

Magnepan owner here with two cats...

I used a pet repellant and sprayed it on towels, not the speaker, and set the towels in front of the speakers. Also kept a close eye on the cats with an air can nearby, and put a scratching post in the room.

As they approached the speaker, I'd redirect them to the post. If they touched the speaker at all I'd give a quick blast on the air-not at the cat, the noise alone interrupted what they were doing.

And surprisingly, the repellant seemed to work to discourage them also.

Took a little time, but there are no snags in my speakers and the cats are still here.

This is the stuff I used:
10020_001_xl.jpg

Two nights ago kitty got to listen to Dark Side of the Moon at just about my normal, kinda loud levels.
Anymore 92 to 94 DB seems loud enough to me.
Last night was Disco Night, again at a pretty good volume.
While her tail wasn't flipping or her toes tapping, the loud-ish disco music didn't send her running from the room. Can't say that about some of my human friends.
Here's a picture where she is eyeing them, but so far no touching that I have seen or evidence of her having touched them.AA Biscuit and stereo 9274.jpg

Back
Top Bottom