Ugly cars Pre-1990

That is what was known in America as a "Rumble seat", Chris. We had a 1931 Model A Ford coupe that had one. Pretty impractical, you had to climb over the rear fender, open it up, then step on the seat, somehow lowering yrself into it..If yr feet/shoes were dirty, you ended up w/mud/dogshit/whatever all over everything/everywhere. They were small, & uncomfortable except for one adult, or maybe 2 kids...You were completely exposed to the elements, getting in/out of them was tricky, if not downright dangerous, & they were mostly gone by the end of the Thirties.

Sandy what I tried to express - does that car on the picture refer to your post #237? This Jacalac is 1974 Duesenberg style ugliness.

SPLdb you are right, from a somehow comic book point of view the Nash it at least funny.

One of the ugliest toyotas, IMO; the 2nd gen Celica (1978-1981). Specifically the hatchback models with the rectangular headlights.

One of the ugliest toyotas, IMO; the 2nd gen Celica (1978-1981). Specifically the hatchback models with the rectangular headlights.

lol i owned a 78 GT coupe,and you're right nobody likes that body style of celica,it was larger than the previous model and a complete redesign,the body was actually a complete mishmash of borrowed styling from other cars...some jaguar in the front end,bmw in the roofline[on the better looking coupe]and likely some other highend euro designs as well,the more you look at one the more you notice how much of it was "inspired" by or just plain lifted from other cars...it really didn't work well in the hatchback,the whole backend was just horrible IMO,but they sold a ton of them...far more than the rare coupe

the 2nd gen celica was not a true sports car but it did drive well,was comfortable and did have some sportiness to it...most of all it was typical toyota,you just couldn't kill it...personally i loved mine,it was a great car and i'd buy another one in a heartbeat.i can't say it about many of the cars i owned when i was younger,but i've missed it since the day i sold it 20 some years ago[it was gone by noon the day the ad went in the paper]

Last edited:
I would put the Celica as more GT 2 plus 2 type car than sports car, even the first series. I am a Celica fan, the hatchback 1978-1981 was owned by several in my family. That said, they are getting scarce now.

Oh it's a great car, NO DOUBT. The time period when the 2nd gens were made was an especially notable time for reliable toyota engines (not that any other time wasn't ;)). You had the 20/22R from the Celica, Corona, and Pickup, and the 2TC/3TC engines from the Starlet which were probably their two most reliable engines ever made.

The Celicas were all great cars... nimble and reliable. But damn was the 2nd gen hatchback with rectangular headlights HIDEOUS. I make that distinction because the coupes with round headlights didn't look too bad, if not a bit plain.

Last edited:
Well, technically, "the Corvette" debuted in 1953, but I don't think it's really pertinent, like your comment.

At ease, Dudley.

Considering the discussion was about the C4, no it didn't.

And if you're gonna make stupid comments, at least get your Mounties right.

Your comment served only to correct something completely trivial and irrelevant to the discussion, and did not contribute to the topic at hand, sir.
Thus was my point.

Anyone remember the Nissan Pulsar EXA wagon?

2776.jpg

For those baffled by what exactly this car is - it's a Spohn.
More details can be found here:

http://inventory.dezercollection.com/1957-spohn-cruiser-1-of-1-built-c-49.htm

I was "turned on" to this car through a (free) subscription to the Motorsports Marketing Resources Newsletter - take a loo here and subscribe if you so desire:

http://www.motorsportsmarketingresources.com/

The 80's were awful for auto design... across the board for US models! I present to you the high selling and company-saving, but butt-ugly to me Chrysler K car.

2686d1359484050-your-dream-car-chrysler-k-car.jpg

Theres a guy in my area with a woody K-Car Wagon that runs bottom 10s in the 1/4 mile, and yes, its still FWD :yes:. It has a beastly 2.5L Turbo II under the hood with a 3 speed automatic.

Looks pretty much like the Volvo 7 series (1982 - 1990). I had once a Volvo 740GLE because I thought it's a sturdy car but it was a nightmare. This one was defenitely no representative for the Volvo reputation which stands for cars as sturdy as tanks.

Last edited:
I always thought these little pieces of shit were pretty ugly on top of being pretty shitty. 80's compacts were pretty nasty IMO
Ford_Festiva_front_--_10-24-2009.jpg

Back
Top Bottom