Uh oh. I bought a stinker. SX-3900

STRAWS!!!!! at the panel end, big enough to go over the extension, small enough to fit through the front chassis hole the extension goes through.
If I remembered the MM size of the straws, I would have mentioned it.

Remove the extensions using a small screwdriver blade as a twisting lever at the junction.

to the OP, nice, very nice score. Oh, and LISTEN TO THE MAN I QUOTED.

Wow, what an absolutely simple answer to a stumper I have lived with through years of ass kicking. I think I have, pictured in my head, what you mean, but at this point it does not matter because I sold it to zebulon a short while back. He, of course, fixed the small damage I caused and is using it in his own house. It worked out for both of us. Spormo, I hope your adventures with the 3900 works out. It is a great piece and it has FLOUROSCAN!!!!

I started this thread and it grew into a little more work than first thought. It might be of help or confuse you more.
Gaining access to the needed boards is more difficult than most receivers but not if you take pictures and notes. A novice should only work one at a time checking the set in between boards. The procedure is to have the PS, tone control boards and the main amp board loose from the receiver. It's the only way to work on them. If cleaning is all you want? The tone board will come loose without removing any other boards and can be Deoxed and lubed without to much fanfare. The function switches are on the back upper board which also contains the EQ circuit. I remove this board to clean the switches. You can get better angles to the insides of the switches. The plastic switch extensions pull off from the short switch stems with some slight force. The ribbon connectors are marked so they can be reinstalled correctly and the board is unscrewed from the mount and back plate.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....e-sx-3900-and-rebuild-for-reliability.774024/

On second thought the set is difficult to work if you don't have the experience. There's many things to look out for when gaining access to the boards. I tend to forget what it was like when I started this hobby.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I am aware of these issues and truly concerned. At this point I have done all I can to access the switches, pots and lamps, so the black plate is now the only option for access.

I am new to the forum and would like to make a contribution, so I will do my best to document this task. :)

Mike

Haha...actually it is a back plate and it's black too...it is behind the face plate...

Attachments

• SX-3900 a.png
    SX-3900 a.png
    624.8 KB · Views: 28
Back
Top Bottom