Ukulele-Banjo thoughts

3MJB

Hello, everybody!

I have a ukulele-banjo (Also called Banjo-Ukulele) and I would like to know if anybody has any experience with these, or any thoughts. It's in great condition.

Input is appreciated.

I've seen one, but haven't played one. I think they're cool.
It's amazing how many variations there used to be on banjos and mandolins. At the turn of the last century there were mandolin orchestras and they had huge bass mandos.

Used to have a 1913 Epiphone mando-banjo back in my collecting days. While there uses to be a lot of these instruments around, they have become more scarce as time goes by. Depends what your asking. Are you looking for playing info, value info or just general info on it's make, quality and age?

Know nothing about Banj-Ukes, but check out Jake Shimakabura on youtube for an awesome Bohemian Rhapsody rendition.

I had never heard of a banjo uke until a few weeks ago. We were watching Antiques Roadshow, and someone had brought in a banjo uke. I believe it was a Gibson, and worth a pretty penny.

I've seen one, but haven't played one. I think they're cool.
It's amazing how many variations there used to be on banjos and mandolins. At the turn of the last century there were mandolin orchestras and they had huge bass mandos.
I agree, they are very cool things. They have the resonation and ring of a banjo, but the sound of a ukulele. You should definitely play one, if possible.

[/QUOTE]It's amazing how many variations there used to be on banjos and mandolins. At the turn of the last century there were mandolin orchestras and they had huge bass mandos.[/QUOTE]
I know. I never have played any variations of the two (Except for my banjo-uke) but they are some interesting little instruments.

If any of you guys want to see some pictures of my ukulele-banjo, just let me know via this forum. I'll be more than happy to upload a few pics.

Earliest known banjolele built in 1917. The undisputed King of "banjolele" (as they are called with two or three different spellings) was George Formby. A massive star in the 20's an 30's with clever witty tongue in cheek - sexual inuendo lyrics. His songs were so racy he got banned from BBC. You might still be able to order him on CD I manage a copy a couple years ago. He is on Youtube. Hilarious tunes and an amazing player! The guy was lightning and they have Formby fan clubs in Britain to this day where 3 generations of fans - families get together in a hall and bring their ukes and play George's tunes. I don't play one myself - just a guitar an banjo man but I'm a huge fan of clever lyrics and skillful playing. Great stuff. To start with my personal favorite:

Here's a pic of his best work with 20 tracks on the CD:
Formby_8120837.jpg
Yes I'm a music freak and I get all excited about sharing stuff I love_:D

Last edited:
Know nothing about Banj-Ukes, but check out Jake Shimakabura on youtube for an awesome Bohemian Rhapsody rendition.
And his rendition of ‘While My Guitar Gently Weeps’ on Walking Up Raintree album … stunning. Think he was only 16 or 17 at the time.

It's great that you have a ukulele-banjo in such excellent condition. Ukulele-banjos, also known as Banjo-Ukuleles, can produce a distinctive and lively sound. If you're looking to expand your repertoire with new songs, here's website https://www.ukulele-tabs.com/uke-songs/album/dueling-banjos-3114.html, where you can find some tabs made specifically for these kinds of instruments. I'm sure many folks here would love to share their experiences and thoughts on these unique instruments

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom