Ultra Rare Original 2270 Champange/Silver Chorsed

Your also making claims (only a 100 made and ran between 5,000 to 5,100) that is not true

Agree. Many people have a "rush to judgement" that ends up in error.

I got my first "g/e" 2270 almost 10 years ago. Within in a year 2 more sort of just fell into my lap. Still have 2. They certainly have appreciated a lot since then.

My research as to why the different faceplates during the 4? year run of the 2270 was that Marantz was experimenting with ways to cut costs during the 2270's production run. Anodizing and engraving were some of the ways. During that short(?) transition, they had gold faceplates that were silkscreened and some silver faces that were still engraved (stamped). They would be very few in numbers which would make them very rare, but worth more? Not in my opinion. Of course people vote with their wallet but my wallet stays shut for them. I do agree that it was somewhere around the sn's 3500 to 4500 where the transition began.

Like post #17 says, I like the look that engraving gives. The only thing that "might" tempt me would be an engraved silver one. Not for investment, just for the look. I already know how they sound.

Keep up the good work.

Thank you. Just trying to do some research on something I stumbled on since i became a collector and seller. The silver engraved units appear in the 2600, 3400, 4000, 4300-4400, 4600-4700, 4900+ range. Although it appears like there are a lot of silver engraved units many of these gaps are very small. All said and done the Silver engraved numbers are probably only between 12-20% of the total of 4,000 or 400-800 total units. The Champagne engraved units are def'n more numerous.

Most Audiophiles do not know much about the Silver engraved units. Many ask what the difference is, or think any 2270 with a Silver faceplate is an engraved unit and worth a mint. Other issues i have come across is finding regular 2270's with an engraved faceplate that is obviously not correct (chassis and other known ways to check are not correct). My other problem has been some owners have sent me photos that are so bad i cannot tell what they are and as a result i cannot use them in my survey. Fortunately, this site has been really good with providing information. E-Bay (love it or hate it..lol) has been my best source.

If i get bored maybe I'll research how many 2285B's have the Black European model faceplate (also own that one!). Any how thanks for the encouragement from all of you!

Back
Top Bottom