1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

ultrasonic record cleaning service. Would you try one?

Discussion in 'AK Polls' started by hiFi DAD, Jul 31, 2018.

?

Would you consider using a local ultrasonic record cleaning service

1. Yes

2. No

3. maybe

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. hiFi DAD

hiFi DAD AK Subscriber Subscriber

I was doing a bit of day dreaming about what I would have in my hifi shop if I owned one and I came up with the idea of a record cleaning service. The hifi shop certainly won’t happen in the near future but what about cleaning records?

If there was a shop local to you that offered to clean your records by way of cavitation would you consider trying it out? I have no idea what this would cost to actually do so these are just numbers off the top of my head. let’s say it cost $.50 per record to just clean with the ultrasonic machine and for $1.50 it would be cleaned and you would also get a plastic inner and outer sleeve. I picture it working similar to a dry cleaners. Drop off what you want cleaned, get a ticket and come back the next day to pick it up.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. dcmfan

dcmfan AK Subscriber Subscriber

I can ultrasonically clean, rinse and vacuum about 8 records per hour.

And I get bored with it after about two batches...

Not sure what rate I'd need to make it worth doing for others, but suspect it's more than folks would be willing to pay.

3. jcamero

jcamero Who are you people anyway? Subscriber

If I could be there in person. A little leery about shipping my albums to an unknown individual to clean, then repackage, and ship back to me. I would like to hear an ultrasonically cleaned album.

4. hiFi DAD

hiFi DAD AK Subscriber Subscriber

I would agree. I think I would only do it if it was local. Take one or two in, have them cleaned and check them out. If I liked it I would come back with more. Maybe if the service had been around for a while with I good reputation then I might think about shipping.

Thanks for the input.

5. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Super Member

I've tried both local and a mail away service that specializes in multi-step ultrasonic cleaning & archiving records.

Don't expect a magical miracle cure for noisy LPs. I did a before and after comparison by doing a careful pre-cleaning listening to note exactly where problem spots were on LPs for troublesome ticks and pops that I could not get rid of with repeated RCM/vacuuming passes on my home RCM.

Ticks and pops remained in the exact same spots for used LPs and newer special remastered LPs that had some annoying spots.

I *may* have noticed that the sonics could have possibly perhaps might have been improved, but surface noise? No difference from my experience with 8 different LPs all in different conditions.

mkane likes this.
  6. ETLS

ETLS metacarpophalangealcranium Subscriber

Ultrasonic cleaning will not repair damage. But it will clean the records. With the right cleaning solution, you'll have the cleanest record possible.

Please register to disable this ad.