Umm. A "friend" of mine sprayed cleaner on tuner while power was on

DUALityOFman

Yes. I did it. After letting it dry, I notice the scratchy tuning and extra noise is gone, but so are many of the stations I was getting before. What did I do to it? It's still working but not getting the reception it did before. Other functions seem to be unchanged. I know the power should have been off, but it's too late now. Did I damage capacitors? Don't judge me.

I've done it too...

But it might be an I F transformer... it is hard to say. Turn it off, let it set for a day, after the cleaner evaporates it might be ok. What cleaner were you using?

^what he said. If any of the slugs are wet they'll need to dry completely.

Did you spray the tuning cap as well?

Second question, same as biscuithead, you should be using a completely "clean" cleaner like QD on tuner stuff and you won't know if you hurt anything until it evaporates completely. If you got any Deoxit on the tuning cap you probably need to clean it again.

Ok...all very gentle and non-judgmental responses...thanks. I used Deoxit, and it has gotten better with time already, but it appears I may need to clean it again to clean my earlier cleaning. I did get it on the tuning cap. And QD is the cleaner of choice?

Don't know if it's the best choice, but it is "A" choice that works. If it's just the tuning cap it should still work but the scale would be wrong. If you flush with QD, isopropanol, etc. you might want to drip some light oil on the tuning cap's bearings when it's dry again, being careful not to get any on the fins.

I've had a few that were sprayed with WD40. Blowing it out with compress air and realigning worked a few times. Sometimes took cleaning with IPA. But still required re-alignment.

Getting most stations again, it seems, and the alignment seems good. 95.9 is within a tenth, I'd say, which is close enough for Rock and Roll....right?

Back
Top Bottom