Unable to play 5.1 content from Youtube

Discussion in 'Home Theater & Video' started by transmaster, Jun 29, 2018.

1. transmaster

transmaster AK Subscriber Subscriber

I was trying to play some demo 5.1 Surround Dolby on Youtube from my PC to my Yamaha RX-A770 via HDMI from a Sapphire Radeon NITRO R9 380 4GB GPU. The audio is coming in via the AMD True Audio from the GPU. Even though the source is Is Dolby DTS and my Yamaha can decode it all I get is 3.1 R/L, center, and Subwoofer. No surround R/L. Nothing 5.1 from Youtube via my Apple TV either. Is there a setting I am unaware of?

Purchased movies on Apple TV, and Amazon no problem.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Duane

Duane AK Member Subscriber

Can you point us to the demo material you were using ? Not sure that DD is output from Youtube. All I've ever experienced is basic stereo. With my McIntosh pre set to AUTO, it only shows stereo using either an Amazon Firestick or the OPPO 103 For Youtube.

3. transmaster

Here is one, just put 5.1 in Youtube’s search engine for more.

4. transmaster

Chrome can be hacked to do 5.1, or 7.1 I have tried these hacks without success. There are several Youtubes that show you how to do it. I is possible It cannot enable it because my sound originates from a GPU. But that would not effect YouTube on Apple TV.

5. transmaster

It is not yet supported on Windows 10 in a digital output. If you have a motherboard with a 5.1, or 7.1 audio output you are OK. It would seem the paranoid penny pinchers in Hollywood are afraid of any digital movie stream that is associated with a Computer, all that nasty piracy ya-know. I understand you have to go through a DRM enabled TV to get YouTube 5.1. ?????

To enable analog 5.1, or 7.1 in the task bar right click the speaker symbol, in the tile that open click speaker setup there you will see 5.1, 7.1, Atmos, and a couple of settings for headphones.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018