unbalanced to balanced conversion?

Discussion in 'General Audio Discussion' started by HiFiThor, Mar 5, 2017.

1. bimasta

bimasta Super Member

Old thread, may be irrelevant now, but...

I agree with Whoaru, but would say "decent RCA cables", on a 30-ft run, should be at least double-shielded and one of the shields should be continuous foil. Gaps in the normal braid let RFI leak in, like holes in a ship's hull — not an issue with the normal 3-ft run, but very loud when multiplied times 10. I used Mogami's best-quality interconnect cable for 26-ft runs and the hum was intolerable. Switched to cable with a foil shield under the braid and it was silent.

TV / Internet cable companies install miles of cable, highly susceptible to outside interference: such a length is an antenna. They use cable with continuous foil shielding, plus an additional four layers of braided shield around it.

sdw54 likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. KentTeffeteller

KentTeffeteller Gimpus Stereophilus!

And they also have distribution amplifiers so they can run that cable those distances.

3. N8Nagel

N8Nagel AK Subscriber Subscriber

And actually some RG6 quad shield with some F-connector to RCA adapters would make a good inexpensive long run interconnect, if flexibility is not an issue.

Even better would be if you could find some RCA ends for RG6, I've never looked for same. But a quick google says they exist, although if you don't have cable tools the investment might be too much.

4. grey

grey AK Subscriber Subscriber

5. RhythmGJ

RhythmGJ AK Subscriber Subscriber