Unbelievable!! Are these a good match?

So,my fiance coerced me to go to an auction Sat night. I previewed the pics and nothing there but she liked so stuff so what the heck right? We get there and i'm looking at the stuff and BAM- A Marantz Model Eighteen with all the original paperwork and Book! And get this, It was sitting on top of a pair of JBL c56 Dorian Speakers and they had all the warranty, paperwork etc in envelopes taped to the back of them! I almost fell out and couldn't understand why they were not advertised in auction pics? So the whole time Im thinking these are going to go for alot of money. I need to figure out how to leave to get more $ etc, then they come up for bid. I thought they were going to sell them individually but they were selling them together as a set. The auctioneer couldn't even pronounce the name-unreal! So long story short there was only one other person in the whole place bidding against me and he dropped out at $75. Yep, I Took the speakers AND the Receiver home for $75!!!! I was like a kid on Christmas driving home and am still geeked about it. I can't believe that the auction didn't due their due diligence and that noone in a packed house knew what they missed. Their loss my gain!!

So my question is this - Is this a good pairing of receiver and speakers? I currently run a sony str 5800sd with a set of stacked original Advent loudspeakers on bottom and Smaller Advent bullnose on top. If the Marantz Model eighteen and the JBL c56 dorians are indeed a good match would it be an upgrade to my already existing set up?

Last edited:
NOW you ask?:D

Just have fun setting up what you picked up and enjoy! I think you did great and it should sound real nice. I do,love that Marantz 18, it looks and sounds great.

Never having heard any of that gear, I cannot help you with a preference of this over that.

Cool story! Hook it all up and have a shootout to see what gear wins!

Back
Top Bottom