Under the radar Amps

I guess Conrad Johnson must be way under the radar since I haven't seen any mention so far. I really like my MF 2300A. No pictures though - its currently at CJ getting its 16 year beauty makeover.

I had a CM Labs for a short while. Power supply died and I could not afford to fix it. I was young then. Nice integrated amp though.

Uhmmm Tromatic... you got me looking around and I found this on the HiFi-Wigwam Board.... Interesting stuff and credit to "Sentinel One"

"Here's a summary of what I know about Magnum and a couple of links to reviews of magnum amps.

A.C. Magnum company history?

A. C. Magnum Ltd was founded by Tony Relph who was also one of the co-founders of Rega. Rega is the abbreviation of the names RElph and Gandy. Tony Relph went on to found A. C. Magnum. Tony Relph has since retired and these amplifiers are no longer manufacturer. Magnum used Colin Wonfor circuit designs and there was definitely some collaboration between Colin Wonfor and Tony Relph at the beginning. Maybe the company name was actually stands for Anthony. Colin. Magnum (just guessing here but it would be plausible?).

Magnum amps that were manufactured?

Magnum A100, 400W 1982
Magnum A200
Magnum Pre-amp
Magnum Audio mc 250 pre & mf 250 power
Magnum Audio IA 150
Magnum Audio mp 150 pre & mf 150 power
Magnum Audio IA 125
Magnum Audio MF 125
Magnum Audio IA 120 (there was also an mf 120 power amp)
Magnum Audio IA 170
Magnum Audio mp 160 pre & mf 160 power
Magnum Audio Class A
Magnum Audio IA 200 (probably one of the best integrated amps ever!)
Magnum Audio mp 300 pre & mf 300 power

Reviews available on the net?

Reviews available of some of the earlier models:

Magnum MP150 / MF150 Pre - Power Amplifier from August 1990
http://www.kabrna.com/hifi/magnum_review.htm

Reviews available of some of the later models:

Magnum Audio IA 170 Integrated Amplifier
http://www.avrev.com/home-theater-po...amplifier.html

Magnum Audio MF 160 Stereo Power Amplifier
http://www.avrev.com/home-theater-po...amplifier.html

Magnum Audio Integrated IA 200
http://www.audioreview.com/cat/ampli...1_2717crx.aspx

http://home.arcor.de/gaaxoox/magnum/
"

Sorry No, this is wrong, Magnum was formed from my company MIH, which became Pro-Ac Magnum, then Tony Relph joined me as a business guru, then after 3 yrs managed after locking me out after a holiday stole the company and I was force to take legal action for use of some patents. and stealing my company. Meanwhile I started Inca Tech producing no electronics until the legal action was resolved but the world first Gold Plated Power Connectors for the audio world, now be warned never share a company 50/50 if you have started it you partner may not be so trustworthy as you. :thmbsp:

And for folk out there here is a rough list of other things I have designed.
In order:-
Pushpull 1 Germanium Amp 1971
V1 Tube amp 1972
12W Single Ended A Class 1974
MIH 100W 1975
MIH 400W
ProAc stereo 100w 1980
ProAc 3 Channel 100W
Magnum A100, 400W 1982
Magnum A200
Magnum Pre-amps
Inca Tech Sabre iss 1 1983
Inca Tech Prelude
Inca Tech Claymore 1 1983
Inca Tech Claymore Gold
Inca Tech Claymore S
Inca Tech Claymore 2
Inca Tech FMT Tuner
Inca Tech IT50,IT100,IT200
Inca Tech IT1P preamp
Inca Tech Sabre iss 2
Inca Tech Dirk
Inca Design ID25,ID50,ID75
Inca Tech MSB (a monster)
Inca Design Oberon Classic
Inca Design Oberon (standard)
Lescon
Oxford Acoustic's "Mystic"
TOCA SECA 20W,50W,100W,200W,300W single ended class A,s 1995
TOCA I75
TOCA Pre A
TOCA 75W
Tellurium Q Cables 2009
Tellurium Q, A Class 20W, 100W 2011
Tellurium Q Headphone/Phono Amp
Tellurium Q Pre-Amp

Products worked on Naim Nait 5i, other bits also for Naim and Cambridge Audio. 2008- 2010

Jvc a-x7, a-x9

These are great amps, not quite totally unappreciated. They deserve a whole lot more respect. I have an A-X5 with matching T-X5 tuner I bought new in 1980. The amp and the tuner easily eclipsed my Marantz 2270 (which I still have) at the time. How paradoxical it seems to me that the 2270 remains so popular while no-one knows about the JVC pieces. Marantz sold a ton of 2270s, but JVC sold relatively few of their separates. I still use the JVC pair in my garage system, while my 2270 seldom sees duty in rotation in the basement.

Sansui.

So many different models:

1. some sound nice
2. some sound fine
3. some sound like live concerts
4. some absolute Power muscle machine 'beasts'
5. some 'super quality' audiophile sounding Alpha and MOS amps

Last edited:
For under the radar, I would humbly suggest my own Pioneer A-88X. :D

It routinely goes for under $200 on epay. Virtually the same amp as the A-91D which commands well over twice that. Also the earlier A-80 seems to attract more attention. The A-88X really is a stellar performer and a steal at 200.:yes:

:music:Will

I was just thinking about another that's under the radar for sure - not vintage really, and not the highest of hi-fi perhaps, but I have heard a lot of good things about Audiosource and I saw one recently at a thrift for $15 (didn't buy, I was broke at the time).

Sorry No, this is wrong, Magnum was formed from my company MIH, which became Pro-Ac Magnum....

Colin, thanks so much for setting the record straight. I obtained that information from this HiFi-Wigwam Post. You might want to set the record straight there as well.

So sorry about the falling out with Tony. Your designs are very impressive and I look forward to some day having one of your amps in my system.

Thanks,

Doug

Mitsubishi DA-A10 & A15

Might as well throw this in there... I found an A10 Local I might check out.

picture.php

Dear Doug,

That not a problem just a shame, as to Hifi Sillytent no thank far to bloody rude.
Much better and warmer forums with people and humour I prefer.

All the best

Col:music:

I really like Japanese integrated amps. Currently running an Onkyo Integra A-8087 in main 2-channel rig.

Previously got a lot of audible satisfaction from various NAD pieces and occasionally a modded Dynaco ST70 tube amp.

EB

B&K all the way, prices are dropping and they are very sweet power amps and the preamps match up wonderfully. Black backgrounds, plenty of oomph and a non abrasive character with nice build quality on the power amps. The 80s preamp switches are a bit fragile however.

These are great amps, not quite totally unappreciated. They deserve a whole lot more respect. I have an A-X5 with matching T-X5 tuner I bought new in 1980. The amp and the tuner easily eclipsed my Marantz 2270 (which I still have) at the time. How paradoxical it seems to me that the 2270 remains so popular while no-one knows about the JVC pieces. Marantz sold a ton of 2270s, but JVC sold relatively few of their separates. I still use the JVC pair in my garage system, while my 2270 seldom sees duty in rotation in the basement.

I agree! I have the a-X5 with T-X6 tuner and it's an amazing amp. One day I'll have the A-X9, which in my opinion is not under the radar when you see the prices they command.

It's no secret I'm a Technics fan but a few series stand out of their middle lines over the years.

First...late 70s to 1980:
Technics SU-80xx amps. Nothing really fancy is going on in the circuit topology, but the designs are very solid class AB implementations. You won't see any fancy proprietary biasing tricks, just current mirrors, differential inputs, complementary outputs, direct coupling and a good power supply. They're textbook good electrical engineering and easy to work on. The 8077 and up have a discrete output stage with TO-3 transistors and a good bit of headroom. The hybrid units are nothing to sneeze at either....don't knock the STK module until you've heard an 8055. THD is under 0.05% on all models and they're drop dead gorgeous....the designer was obviously a fan of Dieter Rams. All models have fluorescent meters except the LED meter equipped 8011 and meter less 8022 and 8080. It's most similar to the later Pioneer SA-8000 series and 6000 series.

Early 80s:
The Technics SU-Vx series is good. THD is below 0.01% on most models. It's a lot like the JVC Super-A but even easier on the eyes. Most models have a fluorescent meter. SU-V2 and SU-V4 use hybrid ICs, the thinner SU-V3 and SU-V5 are discrete. There are no computers; it uses an analog sliding bias circuit in conjunction with the goodies from the 80xx series. Many units have problems with dirty selectors and bad caps and are a good way for a hobbyist to get a decent amp circuit for cheap. The big ones like the V9 have MT-200 package transistors.

Early-Mid 80s:
Then there are the Computer Drive amps...the SU-VxX series. These have computer controlled bias, avoid the STK module equipped ones as the discrete models are plentiful and much more beefy. The discrete implementation is bulletproof. Nearly unmeasurable THD in some models. (0.0015% on the V7X, circa 1985). To my knowledge, none have meters but a few have large numbers of diagnostic LEDs if you like your rack to light up like Vegas at night. Most have a minimal set indicators. Similar to nothing, they're unique animals. To my knowledge nobody else bothered going with the kind of complexity they did. Luckily the microcontroller is reliable.

Last edited:
Seca kiss

Hi All,

I have been away for bit so I have not played here for a while.:boring:
This is just note letting you have info on a new SECA KIT amp I am writing about badly on Hi-fi Answers.

Lets have you opinions please.:thmbsp:

I agree! I have the a-X5 with T-X6 tuner and it's an amazing amp. One day I'll have the A-X9, which in my opinion is not under the radar when you see the prices they command.

The AX-Z1010TN is no slouch either ;)

One of the few amps with a superb phono stage AND built-in DAC.

Regards,
Nick

i like my 1594b, its mono so im looking for a mate to it. Never actually owned the other two but ive only heard good things

The early big ones not so much.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I decided not to refurb a pair of Altec 1590C for a domestic setup running into Bozak B301A Tempos after checking the net for refs. Replaced them with an Adcom GFA-535.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom