Underrated turntables....Share Your Knowledge !!!!!

Victrola
Victrola2_zpsgvyps6oe.jpg

Ya know I think you can also find these turntables with the Fisher label on them, and since most people run for the hills when they see modern Fisher stuff you can usually pick them up for peanuts.
Made by Micro Seiki and widely rebranded. Excellent tables.

I always do the "pickup test". If it's heavy, I take a second look. If it's feather-light, it stays in the store.

When I picked up this cool looking Optonica (Sharps high end line) I looked into the line and they seem to have some intriguing tables. This one after my cleaning and new belt sounds very good.
0520172106_resized.jpg

When I picked up this cool looking Optonica (Sharps high end line) I looked into the line and they seem to have some intriguing tables. This one after my cleaning and new belt sounds very good.
View attachment 948572
Got mine for free in the mid 90's from a coworker and her husband who were getting out of vinyl. Still plays lovely music daily. All I've done in the years I've owned it is replace the belt when required. Hope you enjoy yours.
I should add that it was stored away for about 7 years or so.

Last edited:
Holimar T4 (belt drive, mid 70's, made in Argentina). I believe this one has a Jelco tonearm, but may be wrong.

bandeja-holimar-t4-D_NQ_NP_16276-MLA20116618141_062014-F.jpg

IMG_3051.JPG The Sanyo plus q50. Started hearing a lot about it from you guys on here so when I saw it on craigslist I went and pick it up yesterday sounds awesome. Thanks people.

My first dedicated table was a Realistic LAB 450. Nothing to look at, but it kept good speed, had a decent low mass tone arm with basic controls, and was cheap as dirt.

I "upgraded" to a low end Technics SL-B3 table, which costed double the price of the LAB. Huge mistake. That table could not hold pitch, and the auto return mechanism was buggy. It was a constant headache. My pride wouldn't let me backtrack to the LAB table, so I gave it to my cousin and spent well over a year trying to fix the Technics with no success. Finally I got a line on a cheap SL-1200 MK2 (when such a thing could be had) and just replaced it outright.

My point: Don't overlook Radio Shack brand 'tables. They're solid performers.

Im just getting into vinyl and I bought a very nice looking SL-1500... I thought that TTs were all the same, well close enough. Come to find out, this is a DJ turntable, should I opt for something else ? Asking because well, I dont DJ... This is going ot be used in the living room.

Im just getting into vinyl and I bought a very nice looking SL-1500... I thought that TTs were all the same, well close enough. Come to find out, this is a DJ turntable, should I opt for something else ? Asking because well, I dont DJ... This is going ot be used in the living room.

That's a great turntable to start with, don't set it up with DJ cartridge and it won't be a DJ table. ;)

the only thing that really matters is if you like the way it sounds.

While true, I dont have anything else to go off of... :)

Yeah but still, it's a good turntable and with the right cart, and setup it will be great. I have the cart you bought on a Sony PS-X5, which was made specifically to compete with the SL series (Sony had the X5,6 and 7 and 9... don't know what happened to the 8 lol) all made to challenge the SL 1200, 1500 and SP-10. Set that cart up right and listen to music. If you get lost in the music, who cares if there's a "better" one out there? Save your money for software and a cleaning setup.

EDIT...sorry... similar cart.

Yeah luckily my only issue with stuff is just looking and wanting to collect more. Just for the sake of old things, I like vintage anything. From tools, to DE razors and so on.

Yeah luckily my only issue with stuff is just looking and wanting to collect more. Just for the sake of old things, I like vintage anything. From tools, to DE razors and so on.

That's a common malady here. I have collections of DE and straight razors in drawers and use a DE every morning while the straight is reserved for Sunday mornings or whenever i have time. Only one DE is new and the straight is easily 80 years old.

Only one DE is new and the straight is easily 80 years old.

Yeah I have about 20 DEs and a Dbl Duck perl from my Grandfather. My most coveted De is the infamous Gillette Toggle. Near perfect condition, of course like many things in life, I spent too much on it for it to just sit lol. I wont ever use it.

Back
Top Bottom