Unfreaken believable

kvining

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
eBay ad for this SA-7100 says "PROTECTION ISSUES! All in caps, "power light does not come on" "no sound". I pick it up for $90 total. Free shipping. Put on the dim bulb it doesn't light up, protection light comes on a little longer than normal, then I hear the click, so I know there's power, so the bulb is burnt out. Put the headphones, yep, no sound. So I'm moving the CD cables to another set of inputs and lo and behold THERE ARE NO JUMPERS on the Pre Out -Main In! Plug in the jumpers and guess what! It works perfectly ! Jeez you do win one once and a while!

Attachments

• IMG_1476.JPG
    IMG_1476.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_1478.JPG
    IMG_1478.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_1480.JPG
    IMG_1480.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 232
instead of "Unfreaken believable" this is more likely, "Got lucky on this one, no jumpers" Many have done it. Glad it was an easy fix for you. Now to decide on a bulb or led. that is going to be the biggest issue for this unit.

I bought a Marantz 2270 with out the jumpers for cheap at a thrift....got home and installed jumpers.....works perfect!

You did good!

And a free wood cabinet! Nice grab.

It cleaned up beautifully, pictures coming!

I've learned something about dealing on eBay when it comes to buying vintage equipment, take a look at the seller's store to get an idea where their heads are at with hifi. If its being listed by an Estate Sale outfit (that was the case with this one) or some mom and pop antique store operation, the odds are they don't have a clue how to make an educated guess on what's wrong with it so grab it if it's cheap. If the seller's store is one vintage piece after another with part pulls, then when he says there is no sound, your going to get a piece of junk with blown output transistors and items made from unobtainum....

Did the same with an SX-950...saw in the pictures that there were no jumpers so BIN for $195. Threw some RCA cable across it for test and everything was perfect, well scratchy but easily restored. Trouble was, a week later I saw a 1050, same thing, and I felt so bad I messaged the seller. He responded back with "wow, it works, fantastic...how could I ever repay you"...I'm still trying to resolve that one in my head...

Look how beautiful it cleaned up. Faceplate had two scratches at the top, otherwise very nice.

In the third picture, I've never seen the veneer done in multiple pieces of different wood grain, but it looks quite beautiful.

I've given the Deoxit about 24 hours to evaporate, think it's enough time to wire this baby up? I hit it pretty heavy.

IMG_1485.JPG IMG_1486.JPG IMG_1487.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1488.JPG
    IMG_1488.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 6
I got my SA-9500II with the rare wood case for a C-note off of eBay, seller said it didn't power up. Put it on a DBT and it fired right up, the relay even clicked. Turns out it just needed a new power lamp and the controls cleaned. Always a good feeling when you get an easy fix. Nice score!

Some people should have never been allowed out of the shallow end of the Gene pool. And we're lucky they have been.

I've seen a couple non-working items where I thought I saw the problem and overthought it where the seller is putting a switch in the wrong position so you'll think they are stupid. You got darn lucky so congrats for sure. I assume if the seller has enough intel to list an item on feebay then they should also be able to do a little web research to figure out what's wrong with their item.

I got my SA-9500II with the rare wood case for a C-note off of eBay, seller said it didn't power up. Put it on a DBT and it fired right up, the relay even clicked. Turns out it just needed a new power lamp and the controls cleaned. Always a good feeling when you get an easy fix. Nice score!
Since I just paid $400 for a minty SA-9500ii I'd say you got a better score than me.

I've seen a couple non-working items where I thought I saw the problem and overthought it where the seller is putting a switch in the wrong position so you'll think they are stupid. You got darn lucky so congrats for sure. I assume if the seller has enough intel to list an item on feebay then they should also be able to do a little web research to figure out what's wrong with their item.

It was some estate sale operation selling mostly knick knacks and old china and stuff. As I said above, if you take a look at the seller's other items you can judge whether or not you could "reel it in"...

Spent most of the evening listening to this guy. It's rated at a supposed 25 watts a channel and it pushes my 170 watt rated Klipsch F-30 towers beautifully. I'm torn between selling it for a profit or putting it in my "keeper stack", it's a perfect match for my TX-8100 (soon to be on its way to Punker X). I bet a lot of people here have been faced with the same dilemma.

THERE ARE NO JUMPERS on the Pre Out -Main In!
Most guy's look at the photos that sellers say are not working to see if jumpers are there or not as the seller my not know. Sometimes you see buyers fight over these units when they see them missing. But some sellers know this and in fact have a dead unit but will pull the jumpers in hope of a bidding war.

Another one is the Sansui 9090, 8080, 7070 that the seller says it will not com out of Power Protection. A lot of buyers know a very simple fix on the PP board for about $3.00 that will get it working, so a bidding war starts.

Back
Top Bottom