Union members step forward

Ah State workers I have some expierience with them, I worked for the small small state technical college I first attended when I went back to college, I even worked for them when I continued on for my BA at another college. In my job I dealt with the schools maintenance dept. extensively, state workers and unionized. Needless to say you couldn't get these guys to do anything and they would actually hide from their supervisor so that he couldn't find them to do work, I actually heard a maintenance guy tell another maintenance guy to go hide in the shop until 3:30pm, quitting time, it was like 12 noon at the time.

Another guy who worked for housekeeping also state job and union, worked the overnight shift cleaning, the president of the college walked into a computer lab one night and caught him using the internet. Suspicious, she had the IT director find out how much the internet had been accessed during the time this guy was supposed to be working, and he was the only one in the building at the time, it ended up he had been on a computer using the internet more than 300 hours for the past year during his shifts. Could they fire him? Noooooo he went to the union and they stepped in and all the guy ended up getting was a two week suspension without pay.

Noooooo he went to the union and they stepped in and all the guy ended up getting was a two week suspension without pay.

Without pay?? What kind of a woosy union is that? I can't recall the last time I saw a union member actually being docked pay. I wonder if he has to pay dues on the wages he doesn't earn?;)

Mike

The president of the college was so furious about it she tried everything she could to can his ass, after many meetings between her and the union I guess it was the best she could get.

Well Kim, I know food service can be a difficult and thankless job, at the mercy of trafficl flow and people's propensities to tip - or not. But no one is forcing anyone to limit themselves to that type of job, that's what education is for.

Imagine a boy or girl taking a paper route as a lifetime job. What would make more sense, for them to continue their education in order to move upward and onward OR for them to unionize and demand a living wage?
What would this do to the price of newspapers?

To quote an obnoxious prick from the Yahoo boards who I hate but nonetheless respect:
"There are slow gazelles and there are fast gazelles. The slow ones LEARN to run fast or they get eaten by the lions."

So if we want to coddle the slow gazelles let's just pay everyone the same, irrespective of talent and education.
Gee, this sounds familiar!
How many Marxist countries are thriving?

Back
Top Bottom