"Universel" amplifier

Last 1

Guy told me it's from a club or something like that. He has 3 of 'em, and listed for $300 Cdn each. I think he'll come down. He tested;
2ohm=600 watts
4ohm=550 watts
8ohm=450 watts

Worth a look???

Greg

He told me it's a Universel 400. Did some searching and came up empty handed. Gonna call him back, see if he'll post a nude.

Hey Unican_Eric, Did you fire yours up? Imagine that, you find 1, and then I find 3 of 'em. It does look 99% identical to yours though doesn't it?

Greg

Mine sounds pretty good, I am using it in my room and it gives a nice warm sound. I
am going to have it cleaned up by my tech cause it has some rust on the transformer and i want to get it looking just right.
Now i don't know to much about it and cant find anything on the web for the name thats stamped on mine. Callipers M-300. I only paid a 100 bucks for it at the pawn shop. I thought i got a good deal cause i have never seen one before. But guess what??? Along comes 3 more.....lol.
Does yours work Greg?

I haven't went to the guys place yet, he just sent me a nude. U/E, what if any can other amp or reciever can you compare the sound of your amp to?

Well thats a good question, I only have Pioneer receivers and amps and an old Sanyo to compare it to, But i would say thats its a little softer than the Pioneer if thats any help. I am using a set of Paradigm Mini 3se that i have used on the Pioneers before so i get an idea using the same speakers. I see that the fellow has tested the amp to 450 at 8 ohms from your post, but i have to tell you that i think its allot lower than that. I have a Pioneer SA9100 that puts out 65 rms and it packs a mean wallop that this amp cant compare to in the lower bass levels. But just the fact that these amps seem to be mysterious it may be worth your time to get one. The nude pics are the same as my amp, it has to be the same one. Like i said i only paid $100.00 for it so dont give him $300.00 if you can get away with it. But i really need to hook it up to my Sound Dynamics SMT1000s and give it a good run to see exactly what it will do. Maybe i just need to open it up to see that much power. Let me know if you get it or not.
Did he give you any other information about it?

I don't know U/E

I think they might be closer to generic units that any shop could assemble. Just my WAG though! BTW I can read 1 of the o/p's on this one. A Sanken 2SC2922, other one looks like a 2SC2925. Not sure about number 2. Any one tell me if this is capable of 250wpc@ 8ohm?

Greg

Anyone care to comment as to possible quality...

of a unit like this? I noticed it uses a direct replacement transistor that my AU-D11 could use. But where are those humungous capacitors I equate with a quality piece?

Greg

I don't like the look of that tranny. It looks to have gotten damned hot at some point. I would want to hear that puppy before laying out any do-re-mi on it.

Why does this amp not have huge capacitors ?

Hot or damp, either way your right. I'm not gonna make an offer yet.

If you look at my transformer it looks the same as yours......but mine runs great, Don't let that stop you from getting a nice amp, try it out for sure. Ya know, Buy the time you decide to buy it or not he might not have any left. Just a thought....:dunno:

Back
Top Bottom