Unofficial features / wants in the new AK format 8-)

This is not a 'biggie', in the cosmic scheme of things; but [:D], fwiw, in our YGTLW [You Get The Last Word] game, in the General Off Topic Forums, we used to be able to see other people's ongoing [sometimes 'competitive' :D] posts, while generating our own 'efforts' [provides awareness of post 'time-stamps' and choice of last/first words]. If this is not possible to recreate ['in the fullness of time'], I will continue to employ my recent choice of opening up/'refreshing' a second copy of AK to keep my eye on posts that have arrived before I 'press the button'. Unless anyone can shed any light on a simpler ['trivial pursuit', I acknowledge] solution.

Cheers, og

Hi og - you may not have experienced it yet - but there is an indicator which comes onscreen when you are replying to a post which says something like - "there are new unread posts in this thread since you started your reply"

So, it's already fixed, and with more functionality than the old AK !

Thanks Hype! No haven't noticed that yet, so now [without criticising anyone or anything - just figuring out how to adapt :thumbsup:] I'm wondering if that facility shows you ['one'] any 'updated' last word; or tell you just how many minutes/seconds remain for you to get in with your post before the 3-minute time limit runs out [:biggrin:] :music:'just-like-we-used-to' :music: [:biggrin:]. Like I said above, if that kind of thing is no longer doable, the advantages are far outweighing the disadvantages; and we WILL adapt :thumbsup:.

Cheers, og

528: Return to the original functionality of being able to edit your posts without a time limit.

This one to me if I was in a paying customer mode (and in a way I am) is a show stopper.
I do not post often but when I do I try to make it valuable. So I post tech info a helpful tips
If I find an issue with a post I NEED to be able to correct it as it could cause someone harm to someone.

528 - second that. I just sold something and had to post at the end of the thread that the item was sold. Any updates to the item's condition/price, etc are also unavailable when editing is disabled. If there are a lot of replies to the post, you will have to scroll thru two or three pages to get most recent updates on the price.

529 - Ability to hide avatars, signatures, etc for those who like the plain looking text only forum.

530 - Minor issue but I would like to be able to use Enter key to run the search when entering i.e. member's name in the search box. Currently, it puts a comma at the end and waits for a second entry (name). You have to use mouse to click on the Search button.

Other than that, good job admins! The forum is speedy and I haven't encountered any problems yet.

528 - second that. I just sold something and had to post at the end of the thread that the item was sold. Any updates to the item's condition/price, etc are also unavailable when editing is disabled. If there are a lot of replies to the post, you will have to scroll thru two or three pages to get most recent updates on the price.

529 - Ability to hide avatars, signatures, etc for those who like the plain looking text only forum.

530 - Minor issue but I would like to be able to use Enter key to run the search when entering i.e. member's name in the search box. Currently, it puts a comma at the end and waits for a second entry (name). You have to use mouse to click on the Search button.

Other than that, good job admins! The forum is speedy and I haven't encountered any problems yet.

You can hide the signatures it is in the preferences

You can hide the signatures it is in the preferences
Thanks. I found that but I am mostly interested in hiding avatars. Most forums offer option to not show avatars, signatures and embedded images. With the low contrast page like the new forum is, the avatars are the main focus now. Plus I can't pretend I am looking at IT related website now when I browse AK at work. :)

New posts seem to be limited to 10 pages. I always enjoyed spending a nice pleasant long time on AK going through the new post. I even felt that the old new post did not give us enough time to read them all. I could easily spend a good portion of my evening going through the new posts. Now I am done too quickly.

probably the most usable workaround is to open the AK main forum page and then open each forum that you usually read in another tab, then run through or read through each of them to your heart's content. Or you could watch each forum, and get email or AK alerts for new threads or posts, your choice. Then your alert page becomes a personally selected watched thread AND watched forum (new threads, posts). I don't know if there is a limit to alerts or if they are only the "newest" to a certain dates though. For Example, I only have alerts going back 3 pages and 3 days currently.

Be careful though, you might find yourself addicted to more forums and threads than you realize.

+1 on #528. I gotta have editing forever or I can't post technical stuff. I've no fear of mistakes and make a lot of 'em, but I'm terrified of making mistakes I can't correct!

#530 When I click on my avatar (name at upper right) and look at my activity, and then a particular post, if I hit the back-arrow to get back, I get logged out of AK. Don't log me out!

BTW, overall, I'm pretty happy with the new site and love the ability to look at multiple images without having to deal with them individually.

528: Return to the original functionality of being able to edit your posts without a time limit.

This one to me if I was in a paying customer mode (and in a way I am) is a show stopper.
I do not post often but when I do I try to make it valuable. So I post tech info a helpful tips
If I find an issue with a post I NEED to be able to correct it as it could cause someone harm to someone.

Yep, exactly.
I'm not one to comment on the new format; I actually like it just fine, except this one thing.

524: have the ability to search an individual forum. For example be able to search bartertown and only bartertown for specific keyword like "tubes" or "pioneer".
Is anyone actually reading this that has the power to make these changes?

You can do that now, no? When you click in the search box and select more, it allows you to choose the forum to search.

Cool thanks guys!!

See, fixed it already! :thumbsup:

We'll number this one #531 one request from me bring back the emoti of the guy drinking a beer it got missed
I agree, and others did not make it either. There's another one at Lansing heritage of a little guy using a hammer on another guy, and also one of a little guy driving and shifting gears, like to see them too.

+1 on #528. I gotta have editing forever or I can't post technical stuff. I've no fear of mistakes and make a lot of 'em, but I'm terrified of making mistakes I can't correct!

#530 -->> to #532 When I click on my avatar (name at upper right) and look at my activity, and then a particular post, if I hit the back-arrow to get back, I get logged out of AK. Don't log me out!

BTW, overall, I'm pretty happy with the new site and love the ability to look at multiple images without having to deal with them individually.

530 was already taken so we'll call yours #532. i changed it in this reply.

533: I am missing being able to go and look at my prior threads; the list (in Recent Activity) is only a dumbed reverse-chron ordering of my posts. This is annoying because it is only showing posts- vB showed the threads. That's what I want. That's what I don't have.

As well, I see no distinction between the information in Recent Activity and in Postings.

While the new web interface is ok, there are two features I miss from Tapatalk and the old software:

534: Tapatalk would automatically log me into AK. The new system makes me log in every time, even if I check "remember me"

535: Under the old system, when I went to a forum only threads with new messages since the last time I visited the forum were highlighted. Now all threads are highlighted except ones where I've already seen all the messages. So the threads I ignored last time are now highlighted, even where there's nothing new in them. That's not very useful.

Thanks!

We have them!! click on anyones avatar or user name including yours and you'll see a bunch of info.
Well thanks for that but i think it was more useful to have it on open display.

It is generally presumed that a member is in the US. Am I going to have to have an avatar photo of a Kangaroo or something equally banal? Got Buddha heads on my gateposts as avatar cos it goes with the 'Karma' concept.
Got a feeling I'm going to get tired having to tell people there is no 'media mail' or any number of other US things here.
Comments like "just buy one from Amazon'. We don't have Amazon here.

Additionally it helps to know if someone's first language is not English to take account of that.

To expand on #521 - Watched Thread Organization

I'm not getting email notification for the many hundreds of threads I subscribed to under the old format. When I come upon those threads in my Alerts, it says I'm watching them - BUT...I can't change the watch preferences to receive emails for them. I'm guessing that by default, the old watched threads don't send email notification - just as the default setting for watching threads under the new format is to NOT receive emails. You have to change the default setting to receive email notifications.

Will there be a way to "resubscribe" to all my old threads so that I start getting email notifications again? Or will the emails start coming again after more details get ironed out?

Just a concern of mine. I feel like I've lost track of nearly two thousand threads - I'd hate to have to start over.

When I come upon those threads in my Alerts, it says I'm watching them - BUT...I can't change the watch preferences to receive emails for them.
Email notifications may or may not re-spawn into the new system.

So just as an experiment and possible workaround solution, try un-watching a thread. Then re-watch it. This should give you the option to receive email notification. [untried..just an educated guess]

Email notifications may or may not re-spawn into the new system.

So just as an experiment and possible workaround solution, try un-watching a thread. Then re-watch it. This should give you the option to receive email notification. [untried..just an educated guess]
^^ This ^^

For access to your watched thread list, in the "Watched Thread" page, only such threads with unread posts in them are revealed. However, you can see them all, by selecting "Show all watched threads," in the bottom of the listing pane.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Back
Top Bottom