Unofficial Parks Audio Puffin Phono Preamp thread..

Monad

puffinmain1-800x800-90-800x800.jpg
I really, really, really want one of these phono pre/ tone modulators. I'm just not sure where it sits on the 'IMOGIT list'.

What's a Puffin? (from the webs):

The Puffin is simply a next-generation phono preamp with a wide range of gain settings which allows easy system matching for all carts and sound systems. The wide selection of tone controls then make it a breeze to tweak the sound to perfection.

http://parksaudiollc.com/ - the videos on the home page are short but informative. I especially liked the 'answer questions' vid where he talks about new features (especially the snap, crackle, pop mod ala sugarcube) that could be made available, through future firmware updates.

Puffin Manual- http://parksaudiollc.com/manuals/english.pdf for a real explanation of the functionality.

So it's a phono pre, with a wide range of tone controls, for MM/MC carts, that you can use with a line output device like a CD player or PC/ Streamer..it takes the analog signal from the TT, converts it to digital, applies it's ministrations, then converts it back to analog.. has settings that can make it sound like a tube preamp and shift a warm sounding recording/ LP to bright, bright to warm.

Admittedly there's a lot of tech here I don't fully understand, though the manual seems to spell it out fairly clear, for those in the know. :D

Has anyone had experience with this phono preamp? If so, please share. Pure speculation and/or expression of feelings are ok too.

Nobody has one of these? I'm shocked. :banana: happy banana will keep dancing until someone posts a brief review.

I could help you out, make sure it's working properly and perform a high-level, exhaustive 3 year review, that we could then post here, in this unofficial thread.. PM inbound with my address.

First stop is a friend with an APx555 for some measurements. I went DSP for RIAA a few years ago, so this doesn't have the "new thing" motivation for me.

and then to me for the slightly less technical, long term, hope you forget about it after a while review?!? :D

I'm also shameless, self aggrandizing and dishonest but I try to come off as helpful, empathetic and sincere.

Back
Top Bottom