Unrestored Pioneer SX-1250 sells fro $2,567

I don't trust that outfit to get anything right so I can't see dropping that kind if lettuce on anything from them.
As is, no refunds/returns to boot. Someone is taking a big risk. Personally, I don't lust after this stuff enough to take that big a chance. $2600 plus shipping will get me a lot of audio around here with much less risk.

Pioneer receivers don't really appeal to me; so yes, to me the price seems high. But someone was willing to pay for it and THAT is what determines market values.

no problems - most folks buy things on looks and don't care about anything else.

put some veneer on the deck, plinth, receiver, amp, preamp, DAC, hell,
even cables, cartridges, headphones will add couple hundred.

those TOTL (or near) will go way past 10K in the near future. just look through the
threads here on AK. MINT, restored, NOS in a sealed box? 25K

That's a lot of fro.

I see what you did there.

Coincidentally, I was just reading some of the early AK posts (if you go to page two thousand something or other in General Audio Discussion you'll see what I mean - what a trip!). There was a user back then who I haven't seen for awhile whose handle was Fropiler. I don't know what he looked like but I always imagined him with a gigantic 'fro. :p

Someone probably did that thinking that they were donating to "charity"--not realizing that GoodWill is not actually a charity.

Goodwill actually is a charity. Problem is that fewer people can take advantage of charitable deductions because f the new tax laws.

I for one am glad to see the market value climb on these pieces. I remember back around 2004, when $350 was a lot for a clean, unmolested, cosmetically perfect example. :)

Last edited:
1. Stuff often goes crazy high on Goodwill auctions.
2. Sometimes people don't actually pay for it, though.
3. Goodwill doesn't always ship stuff properly, so it's a bit riskier than buying from an established eBay seller.

1. Stuff often goes crazy high on Goodwill auctions.
2. Sometimes people don't actually pay for it, though.
3. Goodwill doesn't always ship stuff properly, so it's a bit riskier than buying from an established eBay seller.

All good points, but 1 and 3 are why I don't bother buying there.

Looks like it is in excellent condition, and in a good market on the left coast, ... high perhaps but not ridiculous compared to the current market.

Units that nice are hard to find, and GW often gets very high prices for the desirable ones.

Goodwill is an hit and miss. I bought a couple of electronics from them. Some were great others did not work when I got it. They Alamo charge enormous amounts to ship. I keep reminding myself not to buy, but....

Shopgoodwill is like most of the auction sites, a few years ago when it was fairly unknown there were deals to be had, so the risk was worth it. As it matured, more bidding momentum from competing egos and the psychology of what makes over-bidding happen, and it has become just like ebay or craigslist or facebook marketplace or letgo or offerup or US Audio Mart ... many buyers trying to get that one item drives the prices up to a point where the risks often outweigh the deals.

Again like the other sites mentioned, local can lower the risks, and just letting the mediocre deals get away and waiting patiently for the remaining good deals makes the difference. On SGW there are many (surprised this wasn't) pick-up only sales, these are often the better deals because it attracts less bidders and you get the chance to actually see what you're buying. I haven't bought equipment from any of auction sites in years, if I can't see it before I buy it I probably am not interested. Bartertown here is a very small offering and small market, but since there's a forum here for feedback the "flippers" on BT are typically held to a higher standard and most if not all deals go well, just hard to find the right gear nearby (and nearby for me might be Detroit, Indianapolis, Toledo, ... within a few hours' round-trip).

From what I can see the SX-1250 on SGW was in very good to excellent cosmetic condition, worked, and since it was donated it is IMO likely that it was from someone who didn't understand enough about vintage audio to have muddled around inside. This is a premium buy for me, exactly what I look for, I would have paid top dollar. I think $2,500 is still high, would expect a box and manuals for that, but if that's the model I want then I know it might be a year or more until there's another one that nice (and what will the price be in a year or two?) so you pay what you have to.

I've bought a few things from SGW, but only one piece of stereo gear. It was a few years ago before the prices went through the roof, and I got a good deal on a very nice piece.

I've also bought some other, non-audio items from them like an Apple Airport Extreme router. For $25, I was happy.

What I don't get about that site is how essentially brand new items like iPhones show up on there. I'd assume they were stolen but sometimes they have all the original packing.

Also, I think SaturationPt has a very good point here. If you really want one and one in that condition shows up, what else do you do? BarterTown is great but if you have no idea it exists, it's hard to make a decision based on that.

While on the subject, a G9000 sold for $3K.
https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/63861894

Last edited:
I visited a record store in Manchester NH (Music Connection, very good selection) today and the place also sells vintage audio equipment. The place is a bit of a mess with turntables stacked on top of each other, but there on the floor in front of the LP bins was an SX-1250 sitting on it's side.

The overall condition was decent. The faceplate had only one scratch of any consequence and all the knobs were there. No broken heat sinks and the AM antenna was intact but the wood case was rough. I asked the price and the store owner said $2K. He did say it'd had some capacitors replaced but I think the one at Goodwill was worth the extra $500 over this.

Mine looks just as nice, and was picked up from a thrift store, for $39.99 a few years back already. Still going strong and listening to it now, as I type this reply.

Back
Top Bottom