Unspooled

Almost brings a tear to the eye don't it?

I don't feel bad for the loss of the cassette as I've never had a TOTL cassette deck and the rest kinda sound like poop but it is sad to see something I grew up with slowly die. Hope my reel to reel never dies on me!!

Good article. I figure the floppy discs days are numbered too. Most PC's and Apple's don't even come with 3.5" drives anymore. I've done alot of creative editing over the years with R2R's and cassettes. Not so easy to do in the digital domain.

What a great piece...

Just read the article while playing a selection of Bach organ works on my Nakamichi DR-1 three-head deck (the tape was recorded in '86 in Dolby C on a TDK MA90 cassette through my Nakamichi DRAGON, and it still sounds as good as the day I recorded it). I admit I hardly listen to my vast cassette collection anymore, but every now and then I still get the urge to listen to a recording I don't have on CD, and I still enjoy its sound. With a little head and pinch roller cleaning, my tapes have withstood the test of time and still produce a good, clean copy of the original source, whether it was LP or CD, or even live! My entire family gave up on the medium years ago, but I just refuse to let it go. If my DR-1 gives up the ghost someday, I'll look for another Nakamichi to replace it. What can I say...I'm a cassette junkie!:thmbsp:

CELT said:
I've done alot of creative editing over the years with R2R's and cassettes. Not so easy to do in the digital domain.
Are you kidding? I think that editing with something like Sound Forge is much easier than doing it with tape. Zoom in, play selection a few times until it is just right, copy and paste, listen again, cool!

Don C said:
Are you kidding? I think that editing with something like Sound Forge is much easier than doing it with tape. Zoom in, play selection a few times until it is just right, copy and paste, listen again, cool!
You are probably right. I haven't messed around much with the newer wave editing programs. However, I was a whizz with a tape splicer! :D

Back
Top Bottom