Unsurpassed Master Guitarist Playlist

Genius he was. I have at least 60 of his albums on vinyl and I'm willing to bet that that's a Gretch Country Gentleman he's holding. ;)

Thanks for the info. Was pretty sure it was not a Model 6120. Didn't Gretsch either manufacture from whole cloth, else rename the Country Gentleman model, the Chet Atkins model @ some point in the Seventies?

Having been a vintage geetar dealer/collector in the Eighties and Nineties I oughtta know, but (by far) the Gretsch-manufactured geetars I handled most often were Duo-Jets, Silver Jets, Round Ups, 6120s, a handfull of White Doves and one (1) White Penguin.

Thanks for the info. Was pretty sure it was not a Model 6120. Didn't Gretsch either manufacture from whole cloth, else rename the Country Gentleman model, the Chet Atkins model @ some point in the Seventies?

Having been a vintage geetar dealer/collector in the Eighties and Nineties I oughtta know, but most of the gretsch instruments I handled were the Duo-Jets, Silver Jets, Round Ups, 6120s, a handfull of White Doves and one (1) White Penguin.
I'm not sure what whole cloth means but I'm pretty sure the Country Gentleman was renamed the Chet Atkins model sometime in the 60's or 70's. I had the pleasure of playing one in about 1980 and damn was it smooth. Coulda picked it up for $450.00 and didn't because it didn't sound right for the rock I was playing at the time. One of those in nice shape now goes for how many thousands? I rank that miss right up there with the 70 Chevelle LS-6 SS454/4spd I didn't buy at that time for 5 G's because I didn't like the Olive green colour. Six figure car now. Yes I was a dumbass when I was younger. ;)

I rank that miss right up there with the 70 Chevelle LS-6 SS454/4spd I didn't buy at that time for 5 G's because I didn't like the Olive green colour.

That particular Olive Drab Green that Chevy used around that time looked pretty good on certain models, e.g., Camaro SS, but, like you, I did not like it even a little bit on the Chevelle SS. In fact about the only finish I liked @ the Chevelle SS was Red w/ the two large black stripes. Didn't even care for the Chevelle in (Laguna) Blue, another hue that worked well w/ the Camaro SS but not (IMO) the Chevelle. heck, I preferred all black to the blue and especially green varities. But the LS-6 motor w/ Muncie 4-speed (M-21 or M-22?) was a special combination. BTW, I owned briefly (3 years?) a '69 Nova SS 396 w/ the M-22 "rockcrusher" Muncie 4spd in Olive Drab Green and that color actually worked out nicely on the Nova. Talk about a car I should have kept. Oh well, I didn't.

Last edited:
That particular Olive Drab Green that Chevy used around that time looked pretty good on certain models, e.g., Camaro SS, but, like you, I did not like it even a little bit on the Chevelle SS. In fact about the only finish I liked @ the Chevelle SS was Red w/ the two large black stripes. Didn't even care for the Chevelle in (Laguna) Blue, another hue that worked well w/ the Camaro SS but not (IMO) the Chevelle. heck, I preferred all black to the blue and especially green varities. But the LS-6 motor w/ Muncie 4-speed (M-21 or M-22?) was a special combination. BTW, I owned briefly (3 years?) a '69 Nova SS 396 w/ the M-22 "rockcrusher" Muncie 4spd in Olive Drab Green and that color actually worked out nicely on the Nova. Talk about a car I should have kept. Oh well, I didn't.
It's probably best that I never bought it, that car was a beast and with the stock biased ply tires on it it was squirly in almost every gear. I test drove a 70 Z-28 4 spd (also in Olive green) after the LS-6 and it felt like I was driving a Pinto.

Sorry. It wasn't my intent to derail this thread topic.

It's probably best that I never bought it, that car was a beast and with the stock biased ply tires on it it was squirly in almost every gear. I test drove a 70 Z-28 4 spd (also in Olive green) after the LS-6 and it felt like I was driving a Pinto.

Sorry. It wasn't my intent to derail this thread topic.

We're ok, no harm. After all it's my thread I plunged right into the derailing w/ ya. I recall a particular Olive Green Z-28, also a '69 w/ M-22, that I "knew" during my youth. I thought it was gorgeous.

And in any event it's not 'derailing", but rather just two guys talkin' 'bout cool old cars in a Geetar thread. So what? I gotta say I get a bit annoyed by OPs who quote/demand chapter and verse "their original vision" for a thread when topics drift a bit. So what if they drift a bit here & there? Things come back into view eventually. @55Redneck you're alright, man. :thumbsup:

^^^ P.S. If you head @ NASCAR, Formula One, or Grand Prix I might need to draw the line, but if you head @ NHRA, well, I might just follow ya down that rabbit hole, too. ;)

And let us not forget that it was I who brought up the matter regarding "which model Gretsch was Chester holding" that got this topical deviation rolling in the first place.

You're alright too Mystic. I'm almost embarassed to admit this but after looking at and driving two of Chevys best ever muscle cars that day I ended up buying a 71 Buick Skylark with a 350 2 bbl auto with a bad tranny. A grand seemed like a good deal at the time and I had a nice T350 for it that I put in it.

That's an unusual "Strat" SRV be holding in the video "still". First, it appears that the body and headstock (!) are bound. Second, the top appears to be somewhat more "flat" than a normal Stratocaster, especially the older models (e.g., #1) SRV was accustomed to playing. I cannot make out the PUP scheme from the video "still", but they look to be a bit different than those usually installed on a (typical) Stratocaster. Do we know if this is a custom-manufactured "Strat" SRV pulled out occasionally? If it is such, this is the first time I've ever seen him, in person, video footage, or in a photo, using it.

BTW, nice of you to commerate @ this thread what would have been SRV's 64th year, @Champco.

Back
Top Bottom