Unsurpassed Master Guitarist Playlist

I'm pretty sure Anthony Iommi has been mentioned here already, but after giving Vol. 4 spin tonight I'm putting him up again.
Metal, rock, blues, country rock, pop, (pre)-grunge, hippy rock, it's all in this one.

Hell yes. After inventing Doom Metal @ LPs 1-3 and a lot of the other Metal sub-genres to follow, Iommi "spread out" a bit @ Vol IV. The man was (& probably still is, if he's @ all active "in his retirement" following Sabbath's "farewell performance in Feb 2017) the Master Of The Riff. Um, let's make that RIFF.

Hell, he had dozens of fantastic "sub" RIFFS (we'll call 'em "motifs" and be all musicologically fancy pants about it), gut-rippin' material buried within larger numbers, that he could have used to build whole "new numbers" from, but didn't. Just too many examples of these to list, particularly among the material included @ the first five LPs, among which Volume IV looms prominently.

Last edited:
From today's LP listening:

descendre3.jpg

Terje Rypdal - Descendre
ECM-1-1144

81R74LyD8AL._SS500_.jpg

Terje Rypdal & The Chasers - Blue
ECM 1346

R-2658674-1390905967-6915.jpeg.jpg

Terje Rypdal - What Comes After
ECM 1031

And thanks to pmsummer for getting Rypdal into this thread before I finally got around to it.

John Jorgenson
I first ran into this gentleman working on a show (I’m a camera operator) called Hot Country Nights” back in 1991.
He was part of the house band that would back up the acts coming in.
Since then he has done some pretty incredible stuff in quite a few different genres.
He was part of a rock style group called the Hellecasters that put out some great stuff. Has done a great album with Davey Johnstone (after touring with Elton John) called Crop Circles.
Has put out many different style albums and now has a bluegrass ensemble.
Has dabbled in many different expressions of guitar as well as being able to play every single instrument in the band.
On top of that he is one hell of a nice gent.
One of my top 5 of all time.

Last edited:

CTK @ the '91 and '96 (NY&CH) tours were among the finest. The "European Leg" of the 2016 tour CTK is also noteworthy. But those '91 & '96 tours were quite special, perhaps '96 in particular as the band would not only put out a fantastic CTK, but as well extended takes on "Powderfinger", "Big Time", and @ least a dozen (very) extended renditions of (the rarely performed) "Danger Bird". @ the '96 Sacramento show the lads pulled off a rendition of "Danger Bird" that nearly "out Cortezed" "CTK" re: the explosive conclusion w/ that "Cortez Sound", emanating like a storm, from Neil > The Red Box > The Whizzer > The Deluxe > etc. So much gain that you can hear Young's vocals not only via the mics but via the PUPs of the Black Lester. Incredible performance.

Oh, '91 & '96 also offered greatly-extended renditions of "....Hurricane" and/or "...Cowgirls", and several really nice "DBTRs", too.

CTK @ the '91 and '96 (NY&CH) tours were among the finest. The "European Leg" of the 2016 tour CTK is also noteworthy. But those '91 & '96 tours were quite special, perhaps '96 in particular as the band would not only put out a fantastic CTK, but as well extended takes on "Powderfinger", "Big Time", and @ least a dozen (very) extended renditions of (the rarely performed) "Danger Bird". @ the '96 Sacramento show the lads pulled off a rendition of "Danger Bird" that nearly "out Cortezed" "CTK" re: the explosive conclusion w/ that "Cortez Sound", emanating like a storm, from Neil > The Red Box > The Whizzer > The Deluxe > etc. So much gain that you can hear Young's vocals not only via the mics but via the PUPs of the Black Lester. Incredible performance.

Oh, '91 & '96 also offered greatly-extended renditions of "....Hurricane" and/or "...Cowgirls", and several really nice "DBTRs", too.
Which must be why Dave Mathews did CTK/Powderfinger on his Central Park live album as well. I think it bears mention here because Warren Haynes does an excellent job which is worthy of comparison.

Back
Top Bottom