Unusual Sony EL-7 behavior

CheeseofBorg

User Serviceable Parts
I received a Sony EL-7 in the mail today that was advertised to me as "optically and mechanically perfect". It has an unusual behavior of its take-up real motor however. When it switch the unit on, the take up reel activates for between two and five seconds, advancing the tape beyond where it was last stopped (and skipping the first few seconds of playback). Also when I press stop, the tape speeds up and advances for a similar amount of time before stopping, skipping several seconds of tape. Has anyone encountered similar behavior on this deck before?

Yep.

The mechanism needs cleaning, new lube and new felt brake pads. Suede works great for the pads.

These mechanisms are otherwise bullet proof.

Should you not feel comfortable dissecting the deck, I also rebuild and service these.

Yep.

The mechanism needs cleaning, new lube and new felt brake pads. Suede works great for the pads.

These mechanisms are otherwise bullet proof.

Should you not feel comfortable dissecting the deck, I also rebuild and service these.

I am a little skeptical of this explanation, the take-up reel activates for between 2 and 5 seconds when the unit is turned on regardless of there being a tape in the unit. It also does not turn off for about a second or two after the stop button is pressed even if there is no tape in the unit. In both cases there is no mechanical connection between the take-up motor and the capstan.

Back
Top Bottom