Up Tone Audio USB REGEN

Great follow up there Rich,

And knowing how much you're into isolating your components through the use of external PSU and LPS units, I can only imagine your attention to detail has enhanced your system tenfold. Let the games continue and my moment is coming..........., and I too shall be a Regen fanboy as well.

But truth be told.........., Folk Singer, much like Patricia Barber's Cafe Blue are the types of albums that were recorded so well, they'd make a boom box sound as if it cost well over $5.000.

Thanks again for taking the time to report your findings as well, as someone whom I've spoken with, and understand your taste and ear, this means a great deal coming from you.

:tears:_o scar

Thank you Oscar. Both you and Byron have inspired me with the Going Digital thread .Much of a SQ improvement in my digital front end and only
getting better .Much more to learn from each other . We all do things a little
different .The proof is in the listening who would have thought Red book cd
could sound this good .Having fun Thanks guys .

Thank you Oscar. Both you and Byron have inspired me with the Going Digital thread .Much of a SQ improvement in my digital front end and only

Your welcome Rich.

I had a reviewer friend whom owns a Lampi 7, and said iFi Micro iDSD DAC whom kept on recommending it for me, but I slept on it for months, having mentioned to Byron whom picked up the torch and ran several miles with it before I was able to blink an eye............., and then to see him put his findings into print was all it took for me to follow suit.

While I'd agree that some of us hear differently, yet there are a few grey areas where we hear much alive............, like Byron came to love a few brands of the tubes and cables or cords I've recommended for him over the months we've spoken to one another, so in some ways it's more universal then many would've us to believe, and certain brands merely made item which were more organic as well as mature in their development then others, and as a result are plainly put more seasoned.

Both of you do have me wanting to buy a few CDs and see what I'm missing by only up sampling regular downloads.........., as it seems I still have a few more miles ahead of me.........., where does this road end?, but regardless it's a path that I've found worth following blindly.

Rich, Thanks for the kind words!:thmbsp:

Last edited:
Your welcome Rich.

I had a reviewer friend whom owns a Lampi 7, and said iFi Micro iDSD DAC whom kept on recommending it for me, but I slept on it for months, having mentioned to Byron whom picked up the torch and ran several miles with it before I was able to blink an eye............., and then to see him put his findings into print was all it took for me to follow suit.

While I'd agree that some of us hear differently, yet there are a few grey areas where we hear much alive............, like Byron came to love a few brands of the tubes and cables or cords I've recommended for him over the months we've spoken to one another, so in some ways it's more universal then many would've us to believe, and certain brands merely made item which were more organic as well as mature in their development then others, and as a result are plainly put more seasoned.

Both of you do have me wanting to buy a few CDs and see what I'm missing by only up sampling regular downloads.........., as it seems I still have a few more miles ahead of me.........., where does this road end?, but regardless it's a path that I've found worth following blindly.

Mi Bro.....I buy CD's and convert because its cheaper...but as I've said before, I cant really hear a different between downloaded DSD 128 or ripped to 128.

Mi Bro.....I buy CD's and convert because its cheaper...but as I've said before, I cant really hear a different between downloaded DSD 128 or ripped to 128.

Thanks little Brotha,

I didn't get a notification stating that you had responded, so I'm sorry for the late rely, but as I've only purchased all of 6 DSD downloads and am generally just up sampling stuff I've gotten off of iTunes over the years, while mere MP4 downloads the sonic merit of converting them upwards of DSD 128 still allows for a sound that sounds more organic - spacious and textured if that makes sense?, in hindsight............, I can admit that I was quite taken with the sound of SA-CDs between 1998|2006 and bought as many jazz titles that I'd find at the time, so it seems fitting I'd enjoy DSD and its kin.

Anyways.........., back on topic.

Be well young Brotha.

I had a listen to the Uptone Regen last night on a $1k and $3.5k DAC, both of which have excellent USB stages. There was a tangible improvement in the sound quality of each.

Colour me impressed! I think I will be adding one to my rig at some stage in the very near future.

I have an interesting update on my experience. I typically use a very short (12") quality USB cable between my netbook server and my DAC in my main system. Anything much longer than that I've always felt had a detrimental effect. This can make it difficult to access the keyboard.

I was thinking maybe the use of the Regen would allow me to use a longer USB cable and put the netbook where it could be accessed easier. Using a 4' HP USB 3.0 cable, and the Regen, I was floored. It sounded every bit as good as the 12" cable. When I A/B test there is a huge difference with the 4' cable with and without the Regen.

This is with the Audio-gd Master 7. Maybe I could get the same results with an audio grade (very expensive) USB cable but I doubt even then it would be good at 4'?

I am now a believer...

I had a listen to the Uptone Regen last night on a $1k and $3.5k DAC, both of which have excellent USB stages. There was a tangible improvement in the sound quality of each.

Colour me impressed! I think I will be adding one to my rig at some stage in the very near future.

Hi pete_mac,

And having heard it for yourself, is in fact the best way of knowing what works, or does not..........., colored impressed indeed.

I have an interesting update on my experience. I typically use a very short (12") quality USB cable between my netbook server and my DAC in my main system. Anything much longer than that I've always felt had a detrimental effect. This can make it difficult to access the keyboard.

I was thinking maybe the use of the Regen would allow me to use a longer USB cable and put the netbook where it could be accessed easier. Using a 4' HP USB 3.0 cable, and the Regen, I was floored. It sounded every bit as good as the 12" cable. When I A/B test there is a huge difference with the 4' cable with and without the Regen.

This is with the Audio-gd Master 7. Maybe I could get the same results with an audio grade (very expensive) USB cable but I doubt even then it would be good at 4'?

I am now a believer...

Stoutblock,

Pleased do yourself a favor and do consider looking into the Netural Cable ( standard blue version ) USB cable out of Italy as a very very musical option that should tick all the right boxes, and was one of the lowest prices cables I've heard of the 12 I borrowed, but in fact is the one that has remained in the system to this date, and here it cost $150 shipped, and compared to the likes of other USB cables upwards of $1.200 which came across as more forced or pinched throughout their entire sonic spectrum if you will.

Yet this cable offers a very delicate sound with what I hear as having the right mixture of detailing, resolution, and beautifully rendered texture and an uncanny means of unraveling even the most demanding musical passages with ease.

As always, while not affiliated with this company, yet I do believe in endorsing those companies to which I've come across that value both sonics which can be obtained by mere mortals. And truth be told..............., I've always felt in order to know what's what, only requires one to listen with an open-mind, as hearing is believing.

If you need something other then the blue sleeving?, be certain to ask in advance, here's said USB cabling link in question:

http://www.neutralcable.it/en/digital-cables#ad-image-5

And you can thank me later.
:D_o scar

Last edited:
This has to be one of the first audio items I have run across that 99%+ the reviews are always positive and at worst just neutral. WTG Uptone.

thanks for the tip KT77. Seems like a reasonable investment and I will check it out.

thanks for the tip KT77. Seems like a reasonable investment and I will check it out.

You're more then welcome stoutblock.

In my world knowledge has always been power, but is also something I'm aware of needs to be shared with others freely, and having been divert in doing the legwork on said USB cables as well as most items as they relate to isolation devices and the likes not only covering items available here..........., but from European and Asia shorelines as well, after all most of the tweaks started elsewhere and like people, merely migrated to the states.

Imported audio ware has been here since the mid 40s, and shall continue to offer outwards thinking and value per dollar as it relates to sound versus greed, and truth be told................, I actually have always preferred audio components from abroad as opposed to domestically.

o_Oh well, let me get back on form and not get beyond the scope of things as I often do. But trust me............., it's mentioned earlier on, and is an extremely wonderful sounding cable - period.

Be well.......

I use that same cable with my DAC. Its a great USB cable at a great price as well. Took about 3 weeks to get here from the time he made it till it got to my door. Its worth the wait...and he sticks to the USB standard as well....that what Fabio told me when I asked him.

Encounter with Alex

I just ordered one of these. I've been reading about this and the Schiit Wyrd on Computer Audio, and noticed that Alex with Uptone actually chimed in to say some nice things about the competing product! Nice touch, I thought.

So I filled out the forms, pressed the order button, and about 5 minutes later I got a call from Alex himself. I had mis-entered my email address and he couldn't send a verification email.

So we straightened that out, he thanked me for buying it, and we talked for a while about his parts sources, his operation, my DAC, how to use the Regen, etc. I thought that was super nice of him, and I am doubly excited to start using his product. He also said they are starting to catch up on back orders.

I use that same cable with my DAC. Its a great USB cable at a great price as well. Took about 3 weeks to get here from the time he made it till it got to my door. Its worth the wait...and he sticks to the USB standard as well....that what Fabio told me when I asked him.

OK, OK, You guys have convinced me. My next audio investment cycle I will order.

OK, OK, You guys have convinced me. My next audio investment cycle I will order.

Good deal, as you'll certainly find this cable to have a very very beautifully balanced sound even compared to more expensive ones should someday you feel the need?, I'm stopping with the Curious Cable and CAD USB cables myself.

2nd impressions are that the biggest effect so far for me (with not nearly enough hours on the Regen) has been on the bass on hi-Rez content,

Very nice tightening of older recordings whose bass line were not so pronounced, on newer recordings, Holly Cole's Temptation for example (dsd64) an already tight bass line played through the Regen will make you snap your head up to attention with the difference! Mine anyway. The vocals already brilliant on CSN's CSN (24/96) seem even more intimate and yearning. Detail is finespun across the board but the bass, oh the bass.

Ottmar Liebert's acoustic version of Fireopal (24/96) more of the same, an outstanding effect.

On the Beatles white album (44.1) the effect, while there seems not nearly as pronounced.

Many hours to go...

Detail is finespun across the board but the bass, oh the bass.

My observations as well. The better the recording/resolution....the more the Regen shines. Not that it doesn't on lesser recordings, just that it is much more profound on the better ones.

Hi Guys,

Well my Regen finally made it in yesterday, and all I can say is that I'm delighted with its overall performance and added something over on Byron's thread about how I hear the differences between it and the iFi iUSB 3.0 Power, but I can say that both have bought my listening pleasure to a whole other level as far as refinement and resolution are concerned, yet I'd like to ask those of you whom have got on to add a better quality LPS, then what came in the box.

I'm trying to dial in the voltage settings and so far on my inexpensive Chinese made unit, have tried 7.5 and now 8V ( thanks Lee Harvey ) but am curiuos as to whether anyone has has played around with these devices enough to state what you might consider its sweet spot setting?, as I'd like to know before pursuing either the Keces DC-116 or HDPlex LPS's as the respective companies set them accordingly before hand, so I'm trying to get a feel for what you guys hear as the very best settings that don't cause the Regen to overheat, yet allows the notes to ring truer.

As mentioned elsewhere, I'm keeping both as they've enough variants between them sonically as to draw my interest in having tonal shadings that are different, yet just as vital to mind as allowing me to sit back and enjoy music equally as well on either............, much like the olde days where I'd rotate flavor a between say a Dynavector DV-20x2 and an EMT TSD-15S within minutes and never miss a beat, but instead of vinyl these days................, I've to rely upon this concept of CA, and in all honesty..............., I'm loving it.

TIA, to those of you willing to share said details.

Regards,
o_O scar

Oscar
Get to know the REGEN before making changes it takes a few weeks for it to settle in. You will notice differences in the sound before it does settle in, mine took about two weeks which for me is about fifty hrs. of music listening.

Back
Top Bottom