Up Tone Audio USB REGEN

Oscar
Get to know the REGEN before making changes it takes a few weeks for it to settle in. You will notice differences in the sound before it does settle in, mine took about two weeks which for me is about fifty hrs. of music listening.

Good morning RH67,

Thanks for the tip, as you're the second person whom has told me to give it two weeks to settle, so I shall. My thing is trying to figure out what the best setting is?, as I can them try it on my cheap LPS before investing in a more upscale version, as I believe these devices really do enhance not only the Regen, but the iUSB 3.0 as well.

And since I'm looking to add something that allows me to mod my Mac Mini so that it and said devices can be power from one device, I'm merely trying to get my feet firmly planted on these settings and be done with it.

But as always.........., I'm all ears.

Guys.............., those of you whom have this device owe it to yourselves to hear it with the UpTone Audio highly recommended Supra USB cable, as like both John and Alex stated somewhere while some USB cables might offer a slightly different presentation............, I'd have to say that having installed it into my system like two minutes ago, all I can say is OMG!!!!!!!!!!, all this from a mere $47|1m USB cable.

I would've to say more then anything it comes back to " Synergy " as these two devices have an uncanny way of merely getting out of the signal path and allowing the musicians to crave out a space all their own, and while some have reported its a tad laid back to their ears.............., to " mine " it's more or less it's not adding any fake sense of top to midband energy and is in fact a much much much cleaner - clearer sound where everything is still there but presenting in a more at ease manner, if that makes sense?.

One thing that I know for certain..............., for the low cost, very very very very few USB cables are going to match it sonically without sounding more HiFi in nature............, it's definitely a keeper. I guess these guts have done their research on what works with the Regen, and it shows.............., you've been warned, so please don't sleep on this tandem unless of course you don't want to hear the Regen in its right light?.

Next stop........., Curious Cable USB a better LPS and then onto music and tubes in the new year.............., as these devices have once again proven it's not about how much one spend, but how well matched ones system is?, and in said case it always starts at ones source component, so Linn was right in this theory all along.

I agree with Ivor in theory on starting things with the quality of the source components. I might have to track down one of those Supra USB cables to put between the iUSB 3.0 and the Regen.

I agree with Ivor in theory on starting things with the quality of the source components. I might have to track down one of those Supra USB cables to put between the iUSB 3.0 and the Regen.

Yes.........., Ivor was indeed right on the money with the " Front End First " mindset, but what's so wonderful about all of this CA thing is it has proven it can be done at lower cost then an LP-12 ( to which I've owned two different vintages in the past ) but we can save that tale for another day.

But as I've an 0.7m one going from the Regen into the iDSD and a 1m length between the iUSB 3.0 and Mac mini, I've to say that every instrument and vocalist have taken on how do I put it?, a more grounded sense of realism that made the other USB cables sound artificial by comparison.

Anyways, here's a link for ya:

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/wire/cable/supra-high-speed-usb-2.0-a-b/

Happy Listening Lee Harvey, and by all means please let me know what you hear?, as it's always reassuring to know that it's not just in my head.

Regards,
o_O scar

OK an update from when I initially got the Regen. I did mention I ran Spotify through for 3 days. After a lot of listening now I removed it yesterday and put it immediately back in. Need I say anymore?

I will for specifics.

I'm using the hard connectors from the Regen to the Chord HD DAC, 3 meter Supra USB cable from the beginning and the PS you speak of at a little more setting of 7.20 volts. I did not try to bump it up should I? The Chinese PS is very good and I also replaced the umbilical DC cable. Using WyWires Juice PC's. I did this on my LPS (not the same one) to the HD DAC too. Better DC connectors and Cardas Litz 16.5 gauge cable. Sounds mighty fine here. I have no intention changing to a costlier LPS I think it would be barely negligible at best and things are pretty clean now.

I'm done, I think............

Oh, and I'm using the WE16ga speaker wire and all my constructed Belden 8402 interconnects if you have not read about them.
http://jeffsplace.me/wordpress/?p=7325

OK an update from when I initially got the Regen. I did mention I ran Spotify through for 3 days. After a lot of listening now I removed it yesterday and put it immediately back in. Need I say anymore?

I will for specifics.

I'm using the hard connectors from the Regen to the Chord HD DAC, 3 meter Supra USB cable from the beginning and the PS you speak of at a little more setting of 7.20 volts. I did not try to bump it up should I? The Chinese PS is very good and I also replaced the umbilical DC cable. Using WyWires Juice PC's. I did this on my LPS (not the same one) to the HD DAC too. Better DC connectors and Cardas Litz 16.5 gauge cable. Sounds mighty fine here. I have no intention changing to a costlier LPS I think it would be barely negligible at best and things are pretty clean now.

Oh, and I'm using the WE16ga speaker wire and all my constructed Belden 8402 interconnects if you have not read about them.

Hi there bacobits,

Thanks for sharing that, and trust me........., I got need you say anymore part big time.

Seeming that you're actually using the Supra USB cables and Chinese LPS as I mentioned something on both earlier, it's nice to see that you've found a nice setting that I can now add to my list of variants to play around with, and adjust these settings by ear 7.20V you say, okay notes saved. Yet might I ask you about your upgraded DC umbilical cord?, as I was just looking at the one over on Ted Pardo site, as well as the one availed via A&B Systems ( which lacks the 2 pin din connectors ) and am also very familiar with the Wywires products, and it seems you've done your homework on these matters very carefully, and well thought out I should add.

And even weirded is the fact that a friend of mine from Hong Kong has shipped me out a 3M length of said WE 16AG Speaker Cable that should arrive sometimes next week, so once again............, it seems as that saying about like minded souls finding one another stands true. If you don't want to mention your sources for the DC cable as well as connectors and the like?, please just send me a PM, as I'd be most grateful for said information as mentioned above, I've concluded that I can bypass said upscale LPS myself in favor of a better AC cord, and isolation platform.

Once again, thanks for sharing.

Regards,
o_Oh

Oscar, I will get the links together and pm you .
The WE wire I think you can still find on EBay if not 16 gauge there is 14 gauge from the exact seller. Same wire different size as all.
Those 2 pin Aviator Mike cable connections as they are called are hard to find stateside.
There are 2 sizes used on various power supplies. 12 mm and 16 mm. That Chinese PS we have uses the larger 16 mm 2 pins my other one uses the 12mm.

Oscar, I will get the links together and pm you .
The WE wire I think you can still find on EBay if not 16 gauge there is 14 gauge from the exact seller. Same wire different size as all.
Those 2 pin Aviator Mike cable connections as they are called are hard to find stateside.
There are 2 sizes used on various power supplies. 12 mm and 16 mm. That Chinese PS we have uses the larger 16 mm 2 pins my other one uses the 12mm.

Thanks bacobits,

Much appreciated and then some, as like most of you guys I'm merely trying to find a means to an end as far as this concept of CA goes, and after today's very rude awakening at what can be had for so little as we head into a future where downloads and steaming will become the norm, along with vinyl still kicking up dirt as to remind us..........., she's still capable of holding onto ones attention, however different it will be remains to be shown | heard.

The Chinese LPS I'm looking at it the TeraDak DC-30W Touch model or similar shown here:

http://www.teradak.com/products/74.html

that has a 55mm X 21mm DC Barrell or something to that effect, and in said case not being the technical type, I'd much rather pursue something that's already terminated for around $20 - $75 and be done with it, so whatever you can provide?, is once again welcomed.

Hi there bacobits,

Thanks for sharing that, and trust me........., I got need you say anymore part big time.

Seeming that you're actually using the Supra USB cables and Chinese LPS as I mentioned something on both earlier, it's nice to see that you've found a nice setting that I can now add to my list of variants to play around with, and adjust these settings by ear 7.20V you say, okay notes saved. Yet might I ask you about your upgraded DC umbilical cord?, as I was just looking at the one over on Ted Pardo site, as well as the one availed via A&B Systems ( which lacks the 2 pin din connectors ) and am also very familiar with the Wywires products, and it seems you've done your homework on these matters very carefully, and well thought out I should add.

And even weirded is the fact that a friend of mine from Hong Kong has shipped me out a 3M length of said WE 16AG Speaker Cable that should arrive sometimes next week, so once again............, it seems as that saying about like minded souls finding one another stands true. If you don't want to mention your sources for the DC cable as well as connectors and the like?, please just send me a PM, as I'd be most grateful for said information as mentioned above, I've concluded that I can bypass said upscale LPS myself in favor of a better AC cord, and isolation platform.

Once again, thanks for sharing.

Regards,
o_Oh
Oscar
I have used the WE wire for speaker cable for 30yrs. I think that it will surprise you as speaker cable also, if you have a chance to get enough length for your speakers do it. I had on loan to me some mega buck speaker wire from Europe that starts with an "A" and i said thanks but no thanks, the WE wire is that good, it just needs to season for about a week.

I will for specifics.

I have my LPS tuned to 8 volts for the Regen. That is in the recommended range by Alex at Uptone and helps give a good rich full tone to the sound that I have found.

Yes.........., Ivor was indeed right on the money with the " Front End First " mindset, but what's so wonderful about all of this CA thing is it has proven it can be done at lower cost then an LP-12 ( to which I've owned two different vintages in the past ) but we can save that tale for another day.

But as I've an 0.7m one going from the Regen into the iDSD and a 1m length between the iUSB 3.0 and Mac mini, I've to say that every instrument and vocalist have taken on how do I put it?, a more grounded sense of realism that made the other USB cables sound artificial by comparison.

Anyways, here's a link for ya:

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/wire/cable/supra-high-speed-usb-2.0-a-b/

Happy Listening Lee Harvey, and by all means please let me know what you hear?, as it's always reassuring to know that it's not just in my head.

Regards,
o_O scar

Thanks for the link for the Supra. I went ahead and ordered a 1 meter cable this afternoon. It should show up sometime next week. According to the Madisound web site that cable is suppose to conform to the 90 ohm impedance spec that the USB standard demands.

Oscar
I have used the WE wire for speaker cable for 30yrs. I think that it will surprise you as speaker cable also, if you have a chance to get enough length for your speakers do it. I had on loan to me some mega buck speaker wire from Europe that starts with an "A" and i said thanks but no thanks, the WE wire is that good, it just needs to season for about a week.

Good evening RH67,

Thanks for sharing your tale as well, as I'm looking forward to sampling it, and have actually heard that cable from Germany that starts with " A " and found it rather sluggish in my system enough so to have moved onto something much much cheaper, yet it proved to be more of a synergistic match in my system as well as better suited to my ears that begin with the letters " CRL ", and I shall certainly check into the possibilities of obtaining an additional length.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the link for the Supra. I went ahead and ordered a 1 meter cable this afternoon. It should show up sometime next week. According to the Madisound web site that cable is suppose to conform to the 90 ohm impedance spec that the USB standard demands.

Lee Harvey,

You're more then welcome, as stated elsewhere............, we are all we've, and with that in mind as far as my upbringings " sharing is caring " and as should be so is knowledge, while attending school back in the date, I'd note while some would sit at the rear of the classroom daydreaming, I always sat within the front three rolls and would often raise my hands high, as I've always know to be good at somethings in life, one has to be resourceful.

I believe that your senses are in for a treat, especially in tandem with the Regen, enjoy.

Thanks bacobits,

Much appreciated and then some, as like most of you guys I'm merely trying to find a means to an end as far as this concept of CA goes, and after today's very rude awakening at what can be had for so little as we head into a future where downloads and steaming will become the norm, along with vinyl still kicking up dirt as to remind us..........., she's still capable of holding onto ones attention, however different it will be remains to be shown | heard.

The Chinese LPS I'm looking at it the TeraDak DC-30W Touch model or similar shown here:

http://www.teradak.com/products/74.html

that has a 55mm X 21mm DC Barrell or something to that effect, and in said case not being the technical type, I'd much rather pursue something that's already terminated for around $20 - $75 and be done with it, so whatever you can provide?, is once again welcomed.

Hi - I am using that same TeraDak with the Regen. The DC plug is 5.5mm x 2.1mm.. the LPS plugs in directly to the Regen - no need any cable modification.. this sounds great, but I have never tried with the standard MeanWell PS..

Hi - I am using that same TeraDak with the Regen. The DC plug is 5.5mm x 2.1mm.. the LPS plugs in directly to the Regen - no need any cable modification.. this sounds great, but I have never tried with the standard MeanWell PS..

Thanks for adding to this subject motberg,

It just reaffirmed my quest for seeking a slightly better LPS then I got last month, and I placed an order for one of these TeraDak this morning, and am now just awaiting the arrival of my digital multimeter that was meant to show up yesterday, but in having the ability to gauge the voltage setting adjustments on the one I've via its digital readout has made this a much easier task.

Now back to sampling these voltage ranges to dial into my system, and I'm set.

Mine showed up while I was home for lunch. DAC is an Emotiva Stealth DC-1 preamp/headphone amp/DAC combo. I am using a piece of Transparent usb cable, 0.5M I think. I plugged the usb cable into the Regen and the hard connector into the DAC. I am also breaking in a new set of headphones, so I was listening really hard last night to a couple of songs from a Greg Brown tribute album where Leandra Peak sings "Wash My Eyes." So I listened with the Regen and felt the difference even with no break in was remarkable. More bass, better timbre, more space in the recording. I think I am going to love this little box!

That Chinese LPS is pretty solid, I like it.
I bumped up the voltage to 8 volts now and checks out stable with the meter.
Well worth the $$

That Chinese LPS is pretty solid, I like it.
I bumped up the voltage to 8 volts now and checks out stable with the meter.
Well worth the $$

Thanks again,

But might I ask if you hear improvements with the setting @ 8V?, or do you still have to get a feel for it?.

It is getting very tough to hear differences very subtle if at best. It gets to be a placebo effect for sure. You think since you made a change there should be a change. So not too sure at this point probably NOT on such a small voltage change.
It takes a lot of time with familiar material to sort this stuff out. I am at the point of less messing around and more of just enjoying the music.
The qualities of the music is all over the place too.

I have read, and too much reading most of the time, that going higher on the voltage "warms things up a bit, tone in particular" no pun intended but jacking the voltage runs the chance of over tasking "heating" the Regen. Not going there. I feel no difference in temp now and there should not be since the original MeanWell SMPS supply runs at 7.5 volts. I'm more concerned that the LPS is stable reliable and stays at the setting I have it set at. It does!

I will say the LPS business is booming because of all this.

Back
Top Bottom