Upcoming DVD Audio Releases

AudioLancelot

Omniscientist
Scheduled Releases:

Jan 14
Fleetwood Mac (w/Peter Green): Live at the BBC (Silverline)
Richard Strauss: Four Last Songs / Hero's Life (Silverline)
Utopia: Live KSAN ‘74’ (Silverline)
Various Artists: The British Are Coming (Silverline)
Various Artists: Reggae Pulse-The Heartbeat of Jamaica (Silverline)

Jan 28
Aaron Neville: Believe (Silverline)
Band, The: Music From Big Pink (Capitol/EMI) Date Change
Bob Marley: Soul Rebels (Silverline)
Blue Oyster Cult: A Long Day’s Night (Silverline)
Dizzy Gillespie: Matrix (Silverline)
Dokken: Then and Now (Silverline) Date Change
Fixx: 1011 Woodland (Silverline) Date Change
Jack Bruce: Shadows in the Air (Silverline)
Motorhead: Ace Of Spades (Silverline)
R.E.M.: Document (Capitol/EMI) NEW!
Todd Rundgren: Live at the Forum, London ‘94’ (Silverline) Date Change

Feb 11
Big Bill Broonzy: The 1955 London Sessions (Silverline)
Charlie Musselwhite: Up and Down The Highway (Silverline)
Jimmy Witherspoon: The Blues, The Whole Blues and Nothin But the Blues (Silverline)
John Lee Hooker & The Groundhogs: Hooker and the Hogs (Silverline)
T-Bone Walker: Back On the Scene (Silverline)

Feb 18
Ministry: Animositisomina (Silverline)

Feb 25
Beach Boys: Pet Sounds (Capitol/EMI)
Gary US Bonds: Live at the Stone Pony (Silverline)
Jerry Lee Lewis: The Jerry Lee Lewis Silver Eagle Show (Silverline)
Teddy Pendergrass: From Teddy With Love (Silverline)
King Biscuit Flower Hour Presents: Graham Parker (Silverline)
King Biscuit Flower Hour Presents: Iggy Pop (Silverline)

Mar 3
Pink Floyd: Dark Side Of The Moon (Capitol/EMI)

Mar 25
Tipper: Surrounded (Silverline)

Announced: (No Date)

(AIX)

Anita Chang: Chopin-The Four Ballades
Bach: Cello Suites No. 1 & 2
Dorian Michael and Friends: Acoustic Blues
Jim DeJulio: Jazz Quintet

(Divox)
Antonio Vivaldi: Giorno E Notte: 5 Concerti For Recorders & Bass Continuo
Bach & Chopin: Préludes Choisis
Francesco Foggia: Psalmodia Vespertina
Eddie "Lackjaw" Davis: Complete Recordings At The Old Widder Bar Zürich
Rainer Maria Rilke: Die Weise Von Liebe Und Tod des Cornets Christoph Rilke: Fortunat Frölich

(DTS)
Pacific Coast Highway: Memorize this Moment
Queen: The Game

(EMI Group)
Beach Boys: Surf's Up
Bonnie Raitt: Nick Of Time
Blue Man Group: POV
Heart: Dreamboat Annie

(5.1)
New York Dolls: Live In Concert-Paris '74

(Hodie)
Maximianno Cobra: Mozart-Don Giovanni/Cantus Opera Company
Richard Loewe: Bach-Complete Organ Works/Toccatas & Fugues in D Minor
Richard Loewe: Bach-Goldberg Variations BWV 988
William Shire: Beethoven-Complete Piano Sonatas No 8 and 14

(Surrounded By Entertainment)
Gerry Mulligan: Little Big Horn

(Surround Music)
Alexandr Jero: Space or Dream of Life

(Warner Group)
Alanis Morissette: Jagged Little Pill
Blues Brothers: Original Soundtrack
Cars: The Cars
Choir of New College: Journey Through The Renaissance
Crosby, Stills & Nash: CS&N
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young: Deja Vu
David Sanborn: Voyeur
Donald Fagen: Kamakiriad
Eric Clapton: Unplugged
Emmylou Harris: Producer's Cut
Flaming Lips: Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots
Fleetwood Mac: Fleetwood Mac
Fleetwood Mac: Tusk
Frank Sinatra: Sinatra At The Sands
Jackson Browne: Naked Ride Home
Jackson Browne: Running On Empty
Joni Mitchell: Blue
Kent Nagano: Mahler: Symphony No. 3 in D Minor
Lord Of The Rings: Original Soundtrack
Madonna: Music
Madonna: Greatest Hits Vol 2
Motley Crue: The Best Of
Neil Young: After The Gold Rush
Paul Simon: Graceland
Stevie Nicks: Trouble In Shangri-la
Tracey Chapman: Let It Rain
Van Morrison: Moondance
Yes: Close To The Edge

Looks like I'm gonna have to get a dvd player just to check out Dark Side of the Moon.
....sigh!!
:p:

I'm confused.

Could someone who knows briefly explain what this means? Is DVD audio so you can buy music discs and play them on your ordinary DVD player and get superior audio to that of redbook CD, like the benefits provided by SACD format only a different format?

If so, which format is better, DVD audio or SACD? I've heard SACD and was so impressed I want to get one, but I already have a DVD player, so if I can get just as good sound as SACD without buying a new player, I'd like that.

Thanx,
Rob

I have wanted a DVD Audio player for 2 years. I am partial to Pioneer Elite. 2 Years ago a Pioneer Elite DVD audio player cost $2000 , 1 year ago $1000.

I have heard from my Quad buddies that DVD Audio is ...yes a very improved audio dimension. It is my opinion that DVD Audio will win over SACD in the end for audio music releases. More equipment manufactuers support DVD Audio and music companies will likely want to mitigate their risks. The DVD Audio releases are now coming significantly.

In Canada the Pioneer Elite unit I wanted is still $860 that plays both DVD Audio and SACD. As per my post I went for a Pioneer DVD Audio that cost me less than $300. Your unit if it not DVD Audio will not reproduce true 5.1 separation if it will play the DVD Audio Discs at all.

The Pioneer Elite model is now selling under $400 US in the US now

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_.../search=pioneer elite dvd/ut=98a3c94ab49e6df0

It plays both DVD / SACD as well as the other formats.

AudioLancelot,

Thanx for the information and link. When you get one of these perhaps you could let us know what you think of it?

Rob

BTW

Since you are Canadian and if you are a rock fan , Nickelback's "Live at Home" was just released on DVD Audio this week."

SACD vs DVD-A

I'm not going to make this a long response, because it really belongs on another forum, but I think it is premature to think DVD-A will win out in the format wars. With the new "Hybrid" SACD discs now available that feature a regular cd layer AS WELL AS an SACD layer, I think the future will be toward SACD. Beofre anyone jumps into buying a DVD-Audio player, read the pro/cons at Audioasylum. One last thing, I think vintage folks, in particular, would enjoy SACD more, because all releases are available in STEREO, too. No one will ever convince me five or six speakers is better.

Dave

Originally posted by AudioLancelot
I have wanted a DVD Audio player for 2 years. I am partial to Pioneer Elite. 2 Years ago a Pioneer Elite DVD audio player cost $2000 , 1 year ago $1000.

I have heard from my Quad buddies that DVD Audio is ...yes a very improved audio dimension. It is my opinion that DVD Audio will win over SACD in the end for audio music releases. More equipment manufactuers support DVD Audio and music companies will likely want to mitigate their risks. The DVD Audio releases are now coming significantly.

In Canada the Pioneer Elite unit I wanted is still $860 that plays both DVD Audio and SACD. As per my post I went for a Pioneer DVD Audio that cost me less than $300. Your unit if it not DVD Audio will not reproduce true 5.1 separation if it will play the DVD Audio Discs at all.

The Pioneer Elite model is now selling under $400 US in the US now

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_.../search=pioneer elite dvd/ut=98a3c94ab49e6df0

It plays both DVD / SACD as well as the other formats.

I agree Dave.
DVD-A is not a nice format. If you want to watch and listen to a concert type show, by all means.
SACD seems to be the premier two channel format.
md

AudioLancelot

This does not belong in the Vintage forum. Please use the appropriate forum next time.

Grumpy

No Rob, you can't play DVDAudio disks in your DVD player - different format requiring a new player although the new player will also be able to play standard DVDs. SACD players are also available that will play DVDs but there isn't any universal players yet. As far as which is better (DVDA or SACD), this is a hotly debated subject with extremely strong opinions on both sides of the fence. Check out the Audioasylum archives under high res for a taste of where these formats are right now and to get a feel for the unbelievable controversy and friction there is between these 2 camps.

My opinion for what its worth - SACD is a high resolution AUDIO format aimed squarely at the "high-end" (I hate that term) AUDIO crowd and DVDA is aimed at the home theatre crowd. I love what I hear with SACD (as you know) and feel it is a major leap forward in digital hell, even though I still feel vinyl wins in the end. I have major reservations with DVDA though. The home theatre focus bothers me - its seems to be all about surround sound and I believe most of the players even require a TV to negotiate the play and setup menus. The main reason I personally would never consider DVDA is audible watermarking. This anti-copying coding is supposedly always present in the signal and is so intrusive that it apparently can be detected even on low-res junk formats like MP3. Audible watermarking sure tells me why one of the mega-company music machines backs this format.

I don't want to get into the SACD/DVDA debate - there is plenty of bandwidth wasted on the other forum on this topic. I don't like digital but have to admit SACD sounds pretty damn good. I have no interest in DVDA for the reasons mentioned above. As far audiolancelot's opinion that DVDA will win - I beg to differ. SACD has something like 1000 titles available now and has been embraced by almost all the labels with many more releases planned for the future. SACD was dual layer format from the beginning (most include a conventional CD layer) so once more production facilities come online, releasing something with an SACD layer for the high-res crowd and a CD layer for the masses, will be easily doable. Even if the mass market doesn't take to SACD, the specialty audio market already has - it sounds good and there is lots of material available and coming - I don't think it's going anywhere.

If you can get by the watermarking thing and surround sound/HT focus (I can't), it should come down to the sound. I like what I hear with SACD and am happy a digital format has finally come along that lets me enjoy the music.

Billf

Thanx muchly for that detailed info Bill! Audible watermarking. Yuch! :puke: It is bad enough you watch TV these days and there is this station ID that won't go away in the corner of the screen. Now someone puts their logo right there somewhere in the soundstage? That is STUPID. I wouldn't pay money for that.

Rob

Did we forget to take our medication?

In no way did I intend to strike up conflict between DVD Audio/SACD camps. The post simply was a report on upcoming DVD Audio releases. If certain individuals can't handle that emotionally , I am sorry and question the objectiveness.

Audiolancelot,

I'm going to have to do better job hiding my honest first impressions I guess. The news of an audio version of a company logo being mixed with the music you paid for kinda caught me off guard. I'm not hip to this new stuff 'member, I still play with tubes and hi-efficiency speakers.

My needs are simple to describe, if not to satisfy. All I want is a very good source alternative of 2 channel music to vinyl (and vinyl is good) with which to enjoy my reproduction system. I don't really care what it is called. Your original post piqued my interest. I'm not in a position to support either 'camp' just now.

BTW, your post is appreciated and was helpful to me. Perhaps also to others too?

Now let's see, where did I put my medication? ;)

Rob

Last edited:
audiolancelot,
sorry, I didn't mean to make this a debate either. Took me awhile to find this thread:)
The differences between the two mediums are interesting though.
How do you like DVD-A?
md

Glad to see some good releases coming out on dvd-a. I would like to post what dvd-a is to me. I went the dvd-a route 4 months ago, reason for dvd-a was titles and titles only at that time. I am more into classic rock then classical/jazz. I do know that there are going to be more classic rock titles coming out on sacd and somewhere down the road I might have to get a combo player. But back on to dvd-a. To get the most out of a dvd-a disk you do need a dvd-a player. By having one you can access the Advanced Resolution 2 channel and surround tracks. Most of my dvd-a's have 192/24 2 channel and 96/24 surround the exception being "Another Stoney Evening" by David Crosby and Graham Nash which has no 2 channel adv res but has surround at 96/24. It does have DTS and PCM 2.0 but to access those tracks I have to set dvd-a player to video mode. Now all dvd-a's can be played on a dvd player but you will only be able to use the DD and DTS tracks and if it has it a PCM 2.0 but they can be enjoyed by everyone at this time.

Back
Top Bottom