Updated my system.

Tekal

I decided to change things up a bit and wanted to post my updated setup. I have a nearfield setup and my Polk Audio 5jr+ speakers are remaining but that is about it. Let's talk about what I got. I know most of this is from the BPC era but I still like it and I think it sounds quite nice.

Here is a picture of the overall set up:
20180909_193408673_iOS.jpg

Amplifier: Technics SU-V96 Stereo Integrated Amplifier
I really am liking this integrated amp so far. It sounds pretty nice and despite not having a physical volume knob (has the separate up and down buttons instead) I do quite like the look and feel as well as the sound. I don't hear any unwanted noise and it drives these speakers quite nicely. I do believe it is around 125wpc into 6ohms. As for inputs, I have it set up as follows:
  1. Phono: None yet.
  2. Tuner: Runs to my PC.
  3. CD/Aux: Runs to a 3.5mm jack which I use for my phone.
  4. Tape 1: Runs to my Technics RS-T17 dual tape deck.
  5. Tape 2/EQ: Runs to my Technics SH-8046 EQ.
Photo:
20180910_003324967_iOS.jpg

Tape: Technics RS-T17 Stereo Double Cassette Deck
This tape deck works decently and is in overall 10/10 cosmetic condition but it does seem to struggle with fast forward and rewinding of tapes. The motors seem to turn fast and then slow and do this over and over again, taking quite a long time to rewind the tape. Some tapes also play like this and it results in the songs constantly changing tempo and speed. I am thinking it may be that some of these tapes are very old and it could just be the tapes have degraded.

Photo:
20180910_003328960_iOS.jpg

EQ: Technics SH-8046 Stereo Graphic Equalizer
This thing is awesome in just how 80's it truly is. It has these weird touch pads for the buttons and adjustments and has 7 bands that you can adjust and it allows you to adjust for each channel individually as well.

Photo:
20180910_003317097_iOS.jpg

Speakers: Polk Audio Monitor Series 2 5jr+
These are the only part that has stayed because they are truly awesome speakers that sound excellent. I have them on some modified speaker stands and they are at the perfect height and angle for listening while sitting at the desk.

Photo:
20180910_003348166_iOS.jpg

Overall, I know these are considered "black plastic crap" but I am impressed with the quality and sound quality and I am pretty happy. If anyone knows anything about these tape players and could point me in the right direction of figuring out the varying playback and ff/rewind speed issues, please do let me know. Thank you.

I had a technics system kinda like that one back in 2000 and it sounded really good in my apartment! Enjoy your set up it looks really good and I bet it sounds great! Enjoy! :beatnik:

Back
Top Bottom