UPDATED VERSION of my TEFLON TAPE on the ac prongs tweak .........

Status
Not open for further replies.
..just seems to me that the music sounds a bit better when there is less traffic on the grid, in the wee hours.
To me, this is a case of attributing a real experience to an unlikely cause when there are much more likely candidates. It is likely that there is less demand on the grid in the wee hours, but that's also the time you're more likely to be relaxed and focused. There's also probably a lot less environmental noise.

I work a decision tree from most probable to least probable and in this circumstance, I'd go through a lot of other factors before I'd get to power grid traffic as the reason my audio sounded better. Audio engineers are well acquainted with the vagaries of the power grid and any decent audio equipment has robust power supplies designed to handle a less than perfect power input.

To me, this is a case of attributing a real experience to an unlikely cause when there are much more likely candidates. It is likely that there is less demand on the grid in the wee hours, but that's also the time you're more likely to be relaxed and focused. There's also probably a lot less environmental noise.

I work a decision tree from most probable to least probable and in this circumstance, I'd go through a lot of other factors before I'd get to power grid traffic as the reason my audio sounded better. Audio engineers are well acquainted with the vagaries of the power grid and any decent audio equipment has robust power supplies designed to handle a less than perfect power input.

+1.

I think it's a combination of less background noise and our senses reacting differently at night. I wonder if our hearing becomes more acute at night as an evolutionary result for detecting danger when our sight is less able to do so.

Nothigainst Dr.Bose, but you do realize this goes totally against the intent of the original design, don't you?

That's kinda like giving a kid a nice gift only to find he enjoys the box it came in better.

FWIW, they do sell something like you are using as a commercial PA speaker, model 802 I believe.

Bose 801 - with only the 8 drivers on the front side.
Regards,
Jim

+1.

I think it's a combination of less background noise and our senses reacting differently at night. I wonder if our hearing becomes more acute at night as an evolutionary result for detecting danger when our sight is less able to do so.

Jon I think I have read about this somewhere and it's opposite. Our senses dull at night and this is why it's more enjoyable. You can just sit down and enjoy without your brain overfocusing or wandering. I tend to agree that music sounds better at night and I am pretty sure that the power grid has nothing to do with it. Maybe I will bake a cake at 2am and see if it tastes better from less traffic.

After a few weeks of using my > "updated version" of this tweak in my system my system now sounds more "organic" more tube:banana:like. Now I know some of you will find this very hard to believe BUT its true ! :music: :thmbsp:

Jon I think I have read about this somewhere and it's opposite. Our senses dull at night and this is why it's more enjoyable. You can just sit down and enjoy without your brain overfocusing or wandering. I tend to agree that music sounds better at night and I am pretty sure that the power grid has nothing to do with it. Maybe I will bake a cake at 2am and see if it tastes better from less traffic.

+1

In overly simple terms...

Our bodies increase the production of melatonin, our natural biological rhythm causes changes in preparation for sleep.

And in somewhat more scientific terms:

Certain groups of hypothalamic neurons and adjacent groups of basal forebrain neurons produce the neurotransmitter gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA). Projections of these GABA neurons inhibit the firing of cells involved in wakefulness.

Several groups of neurons have been shown to be inhibited by this action--including neurons containing histamine, norepinephrine, serotonin, hypocretin, and glutamate--and this inhibition promotes sleep.

OK, what does this have to do with music.

More often than not in describing the results of a change to an audio system, the results are spoken as if the human auditory system is an accurate, calibrated, and constant measuring device. It is not.

After a few weeks of using my > "updated version" of this tweak in my system my system now sounds more "organic" more tube:banana:like. Now I know some of you will find this very hard to believe BUT its true ! :music: :thmbsp:

Kudos to you ! Instead of just reading about something, somewhere..you tried a tweak that worked for you. :thmbsp:

Kudos to you ! Instead of just reading about something, somewhere..you tried a tweak that worked for you. :thmbsp:
Uh..., you DO realize this is the guy who "invented" this tweak in the first place, don't you? :rolleyes: Yeah, a truly unbiased opinion.

It seems we've come to the logical conclusion of this discussion, and I for one am tired of babysitting it. Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom