Upgrade capacitor in Boston Acoustics HD5

JMiP

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I have a pair of Boston Acoustics HD5 bookshelf speakers that I am using as a guinea pig of sorts. I refoamed the woofer over the weekend and much to my surprise, it worked. Hooray! And now, just for the heck of it, I want to upgrade the capacitor in the crossover. Refer to the photo attached to this post to see how it is in the speaker as stock (not my photo).

Am I reading this correctly? 4uf 50v bipolar (meaning it has no polarity, right?). Can anyone recommend a big quality upgrade for this? I'm guessing an upgrade would cost something like...what?...$20? I don't know, I'm new at this.

Many thanks for any guidance on this.

View media item 13489

Last edited:
Well they start at a couple bucks and you can spend 20 or more.

Get a couple Clarity ESA from Partconnexion, they seem to be a step above the Dayton and not bright like the Solens that Parts Express has. Don't know if all will have a 4.0 but if they don't they will have a 3.9 which should be close enough.

Does the voltage matter? What if all I could find was a 4uf 300v bipolar cap? Does that matter?

You won't hurt anything by trying out better capacitors in them. However this might actually result in downgraded performance. The HD5 was at the bottom of Boston's HD line and had a very tight cost of goods. However, that does not mean that the acoustician who designed them did not try to get the best performance possible. In other words, the electrolytic capacitors are very much part of how those sound. Better capacitors (films w/ lower ESR) might make them bright and imbalanced whereas new electrolytic ones will keep them the same.

Back
Top Bottom