Upgrade from Rega Brio-R to Elicit-R with Harbeth or B&W

southp

Upgrading Rega Brio-R to Elicit-R with Harbeth or B&W

I spent a good 2 hours with the Elicit-R yesterday at the local dealer and I fell in love. We started with the Brio (because I already own one and I'm familiar with the sound) and then moved to the Elicit. I had two goals - to interpret the improvements when going from the Brio-R to the Elicit-R and also to see how Harbeth and B&W speakers matched with the Rega amplifiers.

The Brio-R came first, with the Harbeth C7ES-3 (Compact 7) and a couple of my own records spinning on a Rega RP8/Dynavector 10x5. I had just listened to Neil Young's Harvest (180g reissue) at home over the weekend, but with the opening notes of Old Man plucking away, it was clear that I was getting much more detail with the Harbeth's over my own B&W 602's. It was only once we got to the busier tracks like Alabama or Words did you feel there was something lacking from the little Brio, something that I've previously felt at home - it's a roundness or full-bodied depth that comes off as muddied. Overall the Brio-R with the Harbeth's was a fine match but if anything the 7's actually tone down some of that Brio liveliness which has become it's claim to fame.

After experiencing a slight let-down on a couple of Radiohead tracks from King of Limbs, we quickly switched from the Brio-R to the Elicit-R. On tracks like Lotus Flower, instantly the bottom-end came into focus and new subtleties began to emerge from the recording; the hand claps, the backing vocals. The little things that felt lost by the Brio-R in the busy electro-mix of these Radiohead songs all-of-a-sudden found their own space with the Elicit-R. You could choose to listen to the song holistically, or easily pinpoint the pluck of the bass or click of the hi-hat. If you're a musician (or hack like me), this is quite satisfying for those times when you ask "what are they playing or what are they doing to make that sound?" Then again, for someone who wants to get lost in the music, you might not like such a clinical approach. For me, the Brio was left in the dust and there was no turning back.

Staying with the Elicit/Harbeth combo, we moved back and forth from Vinyl to CDs played on the Apollo-R. On personal favourites like Pearl Jam's Vs I was captivated by the presence of Eddie Vedder's vocals on Daughter but disappointed that a driving rock song like Rearviewmirror didn't really snarl on the Harbeth's like I've come to expect with the B&W's at home. This also had me thinking "CD's suck", so one last song on the TT before a speaker switch was Peter Gabriel's Sledgehammer (from an original pressing of So). Damn it sounded fantastic. So big, so detailed. The Elicit-R hits the notes of the horn section with that perfect Rega liveliness, and Gabriel's voice sounding like he was in the room.

It was finally time to hear some B&W speakers with the Elicit-R, and it was the PM1 that were put to the task. We revisited the exact series of songs that were just played with the Harbeth 7's. My expectations were transparency and a more immediate attack with rock songs - mostly around the higher frequencies. And this is exactly what I got. The snare drum really locked into place on Rearviewmirror, and my initial reaction was that the speakers completely disappeared from the room and the music took on a new dimension. The magic only really took off however once the PM1's were being pushed, and you could get that beautiful Rega timing to shine. Where the Harbeth's seemed to smooth over some of the Elicit's natural tendencies of being more forward, the B&W PM1's played right into those traits. Vocals were as present between the two speakers, but electric guitars and bouncier bass were shinning through on the B&W. I'm possibly describing a sound that may be considered fatiguing, but the moment we dropped the needle the PM1's felt more engaging to me. S

Between the Brio-R and the Elicit-R it was clear that there's a drastic jump. Is it worth 3x the price? Probably not unless you have the speakers to tell it like it is, like the Harbeth C7's. That being said, my Brio-R is off to a new home, and I've already arranged a deal for a demo-unit Elicit-R for $2,100 CDN (which is around $1,900 USD). I couldn't resist :)

As for the comparison between Harbeth and B&W to the Rega amplifiers it's most certainly a question of personal taste but I'm leaning ever slightly towards the B&W sound. Possibly because I'm more familiar with it, or because they responded so well to rock songs. Keeping in mind, I'm only comparing two models here but the known traits of the two manufacturers really held true in my experience. Both have the imaging you'd expect, while the Harbeths are all-round performers at any volume, they seemed just slightly laid back on the highs while the B&W's delivered a lively pace that needed a bit more volume to make them sound their best. I'm not going to be moving quite as quickly with my speaker decision, so I'll start off with the Elicit-R and my older B&W 602's but I've requested a home audition with some Harbeth's at a future date and I'm going to be checking out some older B&W N805 which can be had used at a fair price.

Last edited:
Congrats on the new Elicit-R. Great amp. BTW the PM1's you listened to are a very special B&W and one of my favorite from that brand in quite sometime.

Last edited:
Congrats on your Elicit-R. I enjoyed reading your evaluation. My Rega sounds wonderful tonight, as well as my B&W's.
Jeff

Well Jeff, it looks like I'm following in your footsteps as I just secured some B&W 805's but they are 805N, not 805S.

In the meantime the Elicit-R arrived the other day and I will be setting it up this weekend. I'm still going to start with my older B&W 602's and then move to the 805's so I don't catch a case of multi-upgrade-itis. I just can't wait to experience that ultra-transparency of the Elicit in my own living room!

I'll be sure to share more comments/pics soon, in the meantime here are a couple of un-boxing shots:

15330895604_496fccbbe2.jpg

15927386606_99430b8d17.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats on the new Rega! Yes the PM1's are going to be more dynamic and transparent compared to the Harbeth's. I was looking to purchase some C7's in the future but after my last trip to RMAF and listening to the new HL5's I have changed my mind. I am keeping my PM1's. Harbeth has just lost its magic with me.

Nice write up.

As much as I enjoyed my Brio-R with my LS50's I've wondered how good the Elicit-R would be with them. I think it would awesome, and your review isn't helping.

:)

- Woody

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sensational write up. I really enjoyed your reading your thoughts and observations.

Congrats on the new Rega! Yes the PM1's are going to be more dynamic and transparent compared to the Harbeth's. I was looking to purchase some C7's in the future but after my last trip to RMAF and listening to the new HL5's I have changed my mind. I am keeping my PM1's. Harbeth has just lost its magic with me.

The Super HL5's? Wow, that's a surprise. I heard great things about that model from people who owned them. Are Harbeths becoming overly-transparent or something? As in not engaging/musical enough? Just wondering.

I think Alan Shaw designs great speakers for Harbeth. However those PM1's of Kevin's are also a wonderful speaker. Transparent and very dynamic. B&W is doing some wonderful things. My least favorite of their present lineups is the CM's. Beautiful speakers but can be a bit strident in some setups. I should have a set of 685 S2's here in the next few days...the winner between those and the Wharfedales becomes my new HT speaker setup, complete with center and rears.

Well Jeff, it looks like I'm following in your footsteps as I just secured some B&W 805's but they are 805N, not 805S.

In the meantime the Elicit-R arrived the other day and I will be setting it up this weekend. I'm still going to start with my older B&W 602's and then move to the 805's so I don't catch a case of multi-upgrade-itis. I just can't wait to experience that ultra-transparency of the Elicit in my own living room!

I'll be sure to share more comments/pics soon, in the meantime here are a couple of un-boxing shots:

15330895604_496fccbbe2.jpg

15927386606_99430b8d17.jpg

Congrats on the B&W's, which will be a great compliment to the Rega. I look forward to your observations once you get everything hooked up!
Jeff

Last edited:
My early experience, with the 602's still in place, is that the Elicit is delivering everything I had heard at the dealer - incredible soundstage and beautiful clarity across all ranges. I went with some HD audio out of the box, and tracks like Everybody Hurts by REM were just jaw-dropping. I also played back some of the same material from the dealer demo and I was equally impressed with Neil Young's Harvest reissue when played back on my RP3 into the Elicit in my own living room...Neil was right there with me!

I'll share more as I continue to listen thru the weekend.

My early experience, with the 602's still in place, is that the Elicit is delivering everything I had heard at the dealer - incredible soundstage and beautiful clarity across all ranges. I went with some HD audio out of the box, and tracks like Everybody Hurts by REM were just jaw-dropping. I also played back some of the same material from the dealer demo and I was equally impressed with Neil Young's Harvest reissue when played back on my RP3 into the Elicit in my own living room...Neil was right there with me!

I'll share more as I continue to listen thru the weekend.

The clarity is something I find outstanding about the Elicit-R. It is the best amp I've owned, and I find it gives me more dimension to the music. It is an amp that does amplify what's up the chain: good sources sound great, lesser sources reveal their shortcomings.

It's been an interesting few months as I've introduced different interconnects, moving from Kimber Heros - a great cable...to the Silver Streak, which introduces even more detail. I've enjoyed how the Elicit has showcased the new Kimbers.

I'm also changing my speakers: I demo'd the Vienna Beethoven Baby Grand SE and was so impressed I bought a pair, plus Kimber's Monocle XL loudspeaker cable. (Don't worry, southp, the wonderful 805S's are moving back to my HT setup with my Marantz amplifier; they've been there before, with excellent results.)

I will report my results; very interested in your journey with your Elicit-R, so keep your reports coming....
J

Thought I'd post an update as I integrated the B&W 805N's before the holidays and I've been in absolute bliss with the Elicit-R. The level of detail, clarity and just the right amount of punch is exactly what I was hoping for when I originally auditioned the PM1's back in November. I'll admit there were a few times when I wondered about how the Harbeth's would sound (and look :) ) in my house but I've been so satisfied with the Elicit/Nautilus combo.

The magic of the Brio-R really comes to a new level with the big brother. Where I found excitement and pace with the Brio, I find depth and detail with the Elicit-R. There is a general signature that can be found in that Rega sound, but I'm very happy to have the extra power.

16374754802_4cb6418338.jpg

16373917611_ee68bf0a5e.jpg

Great thread and discussion, and a lovely looking system.

Of particular interest to me, as

1) I am listening to a Mc C28 as I type this (see one in your sig).

2) I recently babysat a new Rega Elex-R for a week. It will be joining me permanently in another week or so. Long story. But that week I listened to it was the beginning of its break-in period. I did find the upper mids kind of harsh, or at least more forward than I'm accustomed to (see my sig below for details). It sounded a little better every day, but I don't know that it had settled down completely.

Once I have the Elex back for good, I could either run my C28 into it, just to soften the hard edges a bit. Conversely, I can use the Elex's pre outs to feed my tube power amp. Rega's US distributor confirmed that the Elex can be safely run with nothing hooked up to the speaker outs. Or maybe the Elex will settle in to the point where I don't find it fatiguing. The detail and slam are mind-boggling to me, coming from EL34-based tube power, but I am sensitive to fatigue.

I have no first-hand experience with either the Brio-R or the Elicit, but all reviewers seem to agree the Elex occupies the middle ground between the two. Just wondering if your Elicit has softened with use, and how you'd compare/contrast its sound with that of your C28. Or any other observations that might shed light here. Once all the gear is here in the same space, I can try all the combinations and form my own opinions. In the meantime, I'd love to draw from your experience.

Thanks in advance.

Thought I'd post an update as I integrated the B&W 805N's before the holidays and I've been in absolute bliss with the Elicit-R. The level of detail, clarity and just the right amount of punch is exactly what I was hoping for when I originally auditioned the PM1's back in November. I'll admit there were a few times when I wondered about how the Harbeth's would sound (and look :) ) in my house but I've been so satisfied with the Elicit/Nautilus combo.

The magic of the Brio-R really comes to a new level with the big brother. Where I found excitement and pace with the Brio, I find depth and detail with the Elicit-R. There is a general signature that can be found in that Rega sound, but I'm very happy to have the extra power.

16374754802_4cb6418338.jpg

16373917611_ee68bf0a5e.jpg

Southp,
Beautiful room; I'm glad you're enjoying the B&W's and the Elicit-R.
Jeff

Great thread and discussion, and a lovely looking system.

Of particular interest to me, as

1) I am listening to a Mc C28 as I type this (see one in your sig).

2) I recently babysat a new Rega Elex-R for a week. It will be joining me permanently in another week or so. Long story. But that week I listened to it was the beginning of its break-in period. I did find the upper mids kind of harsh, or at least more forward than I'm accustomed to (see my sig below for details). It sounded a little better every day, but I don't know that it had settled down completely.

Once I have the Elex back for good, I could either run my C28 into it, just to soften the hard edges a bit. Conversely, I can use the Elex's pre outs to feed my tube power amp. Rega's US distributor confirmed that the Elex can be safely run with nothing hooked up to the speaker outs. Or maybe the Elex will settle in to the point where I don't find it fatiguing. The detail and slam are mind-boggling to me, coming from EL34-based tube power, but I am sensitive to fatigue.

I have no first-hand experience with either the Brio-R or the Elicit, but all reviewers seem to agree the Elex occupies the middle ground between the two. Just wondering if your Elicit has softened with use, and how you'd compare/contrast its sound with that of your C28. Or any other observations that might shed light here. Once all the gear is here in the same space, I can try all the combinations and form my own opinions. In the meantime, I'd love to draw from your experience.

Thanks in advance.

Well I can only comment on what I have experienced, but it sounds like you're on a similar journey as me. Moving from my vintage Mac combo (C28/MC2505) to the Rega was quite eye (ear?) opening. Obviously Mcintosh has a well-documented sound which I found to be warm with a nice soundstage. What made me fall in love with the Brio-R and then the Elicit-R is the progressive amount of detail and pace. It's not that my vintage Mcintosh system was a push-over, but it could feel slightly sluggish or muddied and this was more noticeable when using the Phono section. I once did a little test and ran my turntable through the Brio-R phono stage, and then into the MC2505. It was instantly more lively, with a taste of that tube-y sound from the Mac. But ultimately you're taking the strength of the Rega and diluting it. You should try it for yourself - it could end up being the best of both worlds!

There is no fatigue with my current setup and it hasn't changed since the day I got it. Keep in mind that it was a demo unit so it had seen ~50 hours of use before I got it. This is why I got it at such a steal (around $1900 US). I listen to a lot of Rock, acoustic, alternative (from Dylan to Radiohead) and there hasn't been a genre that has let me down. I do have a spattering of jazz records that I'd like to try on the Elicit-R but haven't done so yet.

Oddly enough, I bought the Elicit-R because the phono stage was so good, but since I've had it at home I've listened to more digital music (HD-Audio) than ever before. I have an M-Audio Soundcard DAC and the clarity and detail is just stunning. I would say however that a poorly recorded song in Mp3 format will show it's true weakness on the Elicit-R, whereas the Mcintosh would sometimes make it sound a bit better.

I look forward to hearing about your experience with the Elex. If it's as much like the Elicit as they say, then I'm sure you're going to have a lot of fun with it!

southp, thanks for taking the time to provide such a comprehensive and well thought-out response.

The Elex-R will be moving in this coming Saturday, along with a VPI HW-19 turntable. Super exciting, yet changing a bunch of stuff at once is also stressful for me. I've just about got new power tubes and recapped crossovers burned in, and now this.

I will first try the Elex by itself (meaning fed by turntable, tuner and CD player directly to KEF 103.2's. It'd be wonderful if the resulting sound is smooth and non-fatiguing enough for my ears. The experiments after that will be using my C28 as a preamp feeding one of the line inputs on the Elex-R. I know it's adding more stuff into the chain, but if there result smooths off the sharp edges just a bit then it's a compromise I'm willing to make. Next will be the Elex preamp outs feeding my TAD-60 power amp.

If I were a betting man, I'd put my chips on this last combination. But only listening will really tell the answer.

One thing's for sure - it'll be fun to try all three combinations. I'm sure I'll learn something. The C28 and TAD-60 are playing now, and anything more pleasing to my ears than this will be wonderful indeed. :D

Thanks again. I'll post my own results in a week or two.

Update.

When we got the VPI set up, the Elex-R was plugged in and sounded edgy to me right off the bat. I know there's an endless thread here on AK about the Brio-R needing to be powered on for several days (and stay on!) to sound right. I'm now a firm believer that this is true of the Elex-R as well.

Now bear in mind, I had a new cartridge breaking in, cables in new contexts, and the Rega amp had been in a cold car and not powered on for two days at the point where I was first listening. Plus the Rega has less than 200 hours on it. Didn't take long at all to put my TAD-60 back in place as a power amp, using the Elex-R as a preamp. After an hour or so, this combination was sounding really good. I assumed I'd found the magic combo.

But then this morning, I got a wild hare (or maybe it was a wild hair) and went back to using just the Elex-R. It is now sounding much more settled in and less fatiguing than it did on Saturday. It has been powered on continuously since then, I should add.

Compared to my tube amp, the Rega is definitely more forward sounding. But the solid-state Rega is delivering 95% of the depth and holography of my tube amp, and the soundstage has actually become wider than that of the TAD-60.

At this point I think the only sane thing to do is just keep listening to music and continue to follow the progress as this system continues to settle in. I'd be thrilled to reach the conclusion that a simple, low-maintenance solid-state integrated can give me all the juicy musical enjoyment of tubes. It just could happen. But I'm not ready to make such a bold proclamation yet.

As for the leaner, more forward sound of the Rega vs. the TAD-60, I definitely have the TAD-60 leaning to the warm/gooey end of its performance spectrum: EL34s, a vintage Mullard 12AX7 in the first slot, and it's switched to pentode mode rather than ultra linear.

Back
Top Bottom