Upgrade has been postponed

Wardsweb

Behind The Curtain
Staff member
Admin
As you see, we are back up and running with the original software. After upgrading to 5.1.5 there was an issue with the site layout that could not be fixed within the 48 hour window we planned. So rather than have the site offline for an unknown time, we just restored the site from a backup taken Saturday morning.

Our apologies for the inconvenience this may have caused. We just didn't want to return with a site that was not 100% like we wanted. We will continue to work in the background on an upgrade solution.

In the meantime, we may also work on updating the look around here.

Thank you Luther for not doing this buddy!!!

I value GOOD THINGS because all good things around me that I love are being removed and replaced with crap..... IM CRYING RIGHT NOW BECAUSE IM HAPPY NOT TO LOSE THIS SITE!!!!!!

I hope my loud comments didnt make you mad the other day,I was only speaking from my heart....

Peace and love to you Luther..

We're cool dude. I'm sure you are as passionate with Audiokarma, as you are about audio. For me, I'm a bit obsessive and meticulous and for the most part, don't take things personally.

Thanks for keeping us updated. I kind of figured there were issues when the same version came back today.

Thanks! Sorry you had a glitch with the upgrade, it'll get worked out, but I'm glad you were able to use the backup in the meantime. I really missed you guys over the weekend!

Thanks for all of the hard work and good luck dealing with the various issues as they come up.

Thanks for all you did - and thanks for the wisdom to back it down when hit with a bug like that.

Kudos for all the hard work, and best wishes next time at the wheel!

Thanks for the update. Still looking forward to the new and improved AK!

I got a peek at the future layout, it looks snazzy and clean! I can't wait. Can you give us some estimate for when it will be rolled out? (as in days or weeks here?)

Too bad, the new layout looked much better. 48 hours was a very ambitious window for an upgrade like this, though, so I don't blame you.

IM CRYING RIGHT NOW BECAUSE IM HAPPY NOT TO LOSE THIS SITE!!!!!!

Uh, I don't think it's staying this way.

We had two upgrades at work this weekend, the one on Saturday went well and was done well before a 5 PM deadline. :thmbsp:

Sunday ... wasn't so good. The last message I got from that team was from about 4:30AM Monday morning that they'd had to do a "Nuke from High Orbit" and reinstall from scratch. Not good, not good at all. :thumbsdn:

There are several Boards that I monitor which have upgraded VB in the past year, the newer version is nice and stable but they have all had complaints about style and functionality changes.

So it goes in the world of software. :D

Mark Gosdin

Thanks Luther, as one who has rolled out a number of software upgrades, I know it can be frustrating. I seem to have lost and incoming Private Message from someone, any idea where that might've gone?

Thanks Luther, as one who has rolled out a number of software upgrades, I know it can be frustrating. I seem to have lost and incoming Private Message from someone, any idea where that might've gone?

I'm guessing they restored from a recent backup. Looks like anything that was posted Saturday morning is missing. My guess is that the last backup was Friday night?

Regards,
Gordon.

Now that you have a known-good backup, maybe you could restore it to a separate server and iron out the kinks offline. Then when it's time to do the upgrade again, you can have a more detailed plan mapped out.

We have a huge database here at work for our ERP system. When I had to upgrade to the newest version, I built a whole second system that mirrored the first system to "practice" upgrading. I am glad I did, there were many things I would have never planned for had I just tried to wing it.

Just something to keep in mind.

Thanks for all your efforts. I can truly appreciate that the upgrade was a significant effort. The sacrifice of your weekend was not in vain.

I have always believed in the adage that "If it ain't broke don't fix it", and that "The nemesis of good enough is 'better'". Too many things go wrong during attempts to make things 'better'. However, I think that most of us know, and understand, that incremental improvements are necessary just to keep up with the mainstream so that systems do not require overwhelming changes.

Thanks - - -

I'm guessing they restored from a recent backup. Looks like anything that was posted Saturday morning is missing. My guess is that the last backup was Friday night?

Regards,
Gordon.

Yep my post stop at around 6 pm friday.

Now that you have a known-good backup, maybe you could restore it to a separate server and iron out the kinks offline. Then when it's time to do the upgrade again, you can have a more detailed plan mapped out.

We have a huge database here at work for our ERP system. When I had to upgrade to the newest version, I built a whole second system that mirrored the first system to "practice" upgrading. I am glad I did, there were many things I would have never planned for had I just tried to wing it.

Just something to keep in mind.

Yep, this is exactly how I progress with major upgrades because you're absolutely correct, you never think of every contingency. But in this case I doubt they have the resources to have a full blown sandbox to play with which makes it doubly difficult.

To all, remember that this upgrade isn't just for aesthetics. It's primarily for enhanced security, ease of administration and reliability. Yes, the interface will be different but it will be CLEANER and more efficient. Those of you complaining about liking this older interface need to keep in mind that there are guys (probably volunteers) keeping the rats running on the wheels in the background to keep this site that we all love alive and kicking. I'm wiling to bet that this upgrade will make their lives much easier.

This is a good solution, I've done this when I've been working on a new theme for a friend of mine's forum. :yes:

I am curious to how the new AK will look, either way! :thmbsp:

Back
Top Bottom