Upgrade to Bob Latino Stereo 120 for Yamaha NS-1000m's?

dneu201

For the past year, I have been using an upgraded Dynaco Stereo 70 (power supply, triode board, and recap) I bought on bartertown with my Yamaha NS-1000m speakers. I like the clarity and smoothness I get from the KT77 Gold Lions I have in it, but I think the speakers need more power at lower listening levels. I like how it sounds with Jazz, blues, folk, and with women voices, but it falls short with Metal and hard rock and I know these speakers can really kick!! I have considered SS options locally which are an Accuphase p-300 or a Yamaha B-2, but both units cost $900 and I will have to spend another $200--$500 for recap/service.

I have already built from Tubes4hifi.com a PH-16 phono and an SP-13 preamp. Can anyone comment on how big of a step up the Bob Latino ST-120 will be over a modded Dynakit Stereo-70 I currently have? I have seen many positive reviews on it and that it is a simple kit to build as long as you can follow directions and solder.

Thanks!!

Can't give you a head to head comparison, but I can say the ST120 gives me the same SPLs as the much higher watt rated McIntosh MC2205 it replaced, with plenty of room to spare. And that's driving a pair of McIntosh XR16 big box speakers that are rated at 89db - not exactly what you'd call efficient, but hey ... I like them!

The ST120 also has much stronger iron than the original Dynacos and will handle a quad of TungSol KT120's easily. You won't see the full rated output of the tubes, but they will give you another 8-10 watts per channel with no additional mods.

What is the difference between the Stereo 120 and the Mark III Octals? It looks like both are 60 watts per channel but its the difference in Mono-blocks versus a stereo amp. I understand Roy sells the Mark III's and Bob sells the Stereo 120. The 120 seems more appealing since I have a whole collection of 12au7's I can roll.

Mark III's without tubes - $1150
Stereo 120 without tubes - $950

Back
Top Bottom