Upgrading system advice needed

C_Nash

I’m considering a few possible upgrade routes for my system and am looking for some input from fellow McIntosh enthusiasts. First off, let me tell you what my system currently consists of:
I’ve been using a C26 and MR73 for about the last 5 years. I purchased a MC2505 about 2 years ago to complete the set and have been quite happy listening to these pieces. For records, my main table is an Optonica RP-3636 with an Ortofon 2M Blue. I also, have a Dual 522 automatic table with an Ortofon OM10 for my Fiance’s use. My speakers are Micro Acoustics FRM-2’s which I meticulously refurbished 5 years ago (Most seem to dislike these speakers but I appreciate them). Much of my listening is with my turntables and I can’t help but think I could get more out of my records if I upgraded to a newer McIntosh preamp. By newer I mean newer than a C26…I’m looking to spend <$2K

Here are my thoughts on upgrading that I’ve been tossing around for the past few weeks…

1)Replace the C26/MR73 with either a C29, C32, or C33 and a MR74 or MR78

2)Replace the C26/MR73 with a MX117

3)Replace the C26/MR73/MC2505 with a MX117 and MC2155

If you have any experience with the gear I’m considering, I would greatly appreciate any information.

Thanks in advance!

Try a better pair speaker first before upgrade the electronic. Some specialty audio shop let you bring the speaker home and try out or borrow from your friend. With 2k you can buy a good used pair of speaker and will improve your system better than upgrade to another used equipment. Mcintosh used gear is expensive and 2k won't get you far

C33/34 and MR78 would be my move, but might be a stretch to get both for 2K, in which case I would choose to go for the C33/34

As the main area you're looking to improve is the phono, I agree with Kev and simply concentrate on upgrading the preamplifier for the time being.

C29, 30, 32, 33 and 34 - any of which would be excellent choices for increased flexibility and refinement.

There's a very fairly priced C100A on that auction site cuerrently. You want a great phono section? That may be the hot ticket. Compared to what C33s, C34Vs, and C40s sell for used the C100/C100A is a steal!

Yep. I'm biased.

Oh, as for the options you laid out, I prefer option 1 but agree to focus on the preamp. The MC2505 is a fine power amp even by today's standards.

While you would do ok stepping up your preamp choice, I feel you would be a happy camper with a cartridge change. I know it's hard for people to think about spending $800-$1500 for that little tinny part. But 2 grand will get you a very good arm and cartridge for your table as well as a stand alone stage.

For only phono I would take my C-29 back and give up the C-34 I have. I just prefer the more revealing sound of the 29/ But after having everything else the C-34 does, I couldn't go back. The electronic switching, the graphic tone controls, the access points for external processors, the list just goes on and on. The amps work well for electrostatic head phones, too. The 2155 is a great amp. But I would rather have a 7200 or 7150. More signal to noise lower distortion and if you have in efficient 4 ohm speakers the 7200 has ton more power.

The most basic would be to restore the preamp and amp. A C26 responds well to a phono board update to quieter mid 80's Toshiba (DOBs favorites back in the clinic days)transistors and a audio grade recapping.

I keep one around so locals to me can have an audition.

A restored C33 is a joy to use also. So many LPs are compromised by a radio station mix down, a C32 and then the follow up C33 were designed for the music lover who wanted to get the most out of all their LPs not just the few sonic spectaculars.

I try to keep a restored C32 or C33 around also, just to show off why these units are worth the expense of a 5-6 hour restoration.

The MC2505 and MR73 are exellent, and while benefitting from some restoration work, as all 40 year old units do, would be the last units I would change.

I went in reverse and am extremely happy I did. I went from newer, MX130 to a C28, to a MX114 then finally to an MX110, it's tube, which, IMO blows away all the SS preamps I had tried previously. Not by a little, by miles and miles..
To be fair, the SS units had not been restored or touched in any way though.
I don't know if the amp I was using made any difference, but I am using a 240.

I went in reverse and am extremely happy I did. I went from newer, MX130 to a C28, to a MX114 then finally to an MX110, it's tube, which, IMO blows away all the SS preamps I had tried previously. Not by a little, by miles and miles..
To be fair, the SS units had not been restored or touched in any way though.
I don't know if the amp I was using made any difference, but I am using a 240.
And I went the opposite direction, starting with an MX110 and an MC240 and then over the years (and numerous preamp and amp upgrades) arriving at the C100 / MC2600s. Although I enjoyed the MX110 for about ten years, I thought the C29 that replaced it was better in every regard.

That's one of the best things about this hobby - diversity.

Thanks for all the great input everyone, I really appreciate it! However, I’m surprised nobody had anything to say about the MX117…must not be a great unit? Or most haven’t heard one since McIntosh made so few?

Anyway, thanks to the fine folks on this forum I now have a clear upgrade path to take:
1. Upgrade the preamp
2. Upgrade the turntable cartridge
3. Upgrade the tuner

Maybe I’m wrong here but even though I like the idea of a C100 or C200, the lack of tone controls takes those out of the running. I like having the ability to adjust treble and bass, as well as the variable loudness. Since I have two turntables I’ll be on the lookout for a C33.

The C26 was my first Mac piece and as much as I would like to have the phono boards recapped, the thought of putting more money into this unit doesn’t make sense. I learned the hard way about “scoring” off that auction site only to have to invest quite a bit more to have it functioning at factory specs.

I’ll be sure to update this thread with pictures as the upgrades happen.

Thanks again everyone!

MX117 is an excellent unit & solid performer but the C3x models offer a number of features and refinements that do not attend the 117. Phono sections are likely to be a hair better on the preamplifer-only models as well as providing greater flexibility. Since phono performance ranks high on your priorities, hence the suggestion to concentrate on upgrading the component most likely to result in the greatest sonic improvement. None of this should be interpreted as a deficiency or slur upon the MX117 which is a very fine and highly regarded tuner preamplifier.

*Both C32 and C33 have inputs for two turntables.

Last edited:
I personally always thought the MX117 was the best bang for the buck in a McIntosh tuner / preamp - I've had several. I also equally admire the MA6200 and MAC4100 from that same family. All excellent performers that offer great value.

As far as tone controls go, the C100 and C200 both have listening (and record) processor loops. One could easily insert an octave equalizer from any high end brand in the loop and have tone controls. I've got a BBE 422A in the listening loop of mine and do occasionally use it for '60s and '70s vinyl that lacks a bit of the panache that current releases have in spades. I personally just don't see the need. C33, C34V, and C40 are all excellent preamps that do offer tone controls.

Don't overlook the C42 either. Heck, I shopped for a preamp for two years before settling on a C100 . . . the search is half the fun!

Status update*
I came across a C32 in great shape a few months back and purchased it. This goes without saying, but it's quite the improvement over my C26. I'm hearing more things in the music and the soundstage is wider. I understand this piece gets a bit of criticism because of the ribbon cable issues, but otherwise I feel like it's a stellar performer. I'm still using the MC2505 with it, but now I'm looking at upgrading my amplifier. What are your thoughts on the MC2205 vs the MC7270? Those are the two that appeal the most to me.
For speakers I'm using Harbeth P3ESR's or my MA FRM-2a's when I want to play it loud. Upgrading the MA's will come after the amplifier. Maybe some vintage McIntosh speakers? Opinions welcome, thanks!

My dear friend @damacman will say MC7270 or (possibly MC7300) but my vote would go to the MC2205 which is the (period correct) ideal compliment to the C32. Second to that, I would go with MC2255 which is slightly more refined but still a good match to the C32.

Recently a new ribbon cable kit has been manufactured for the C32 and I believe it has received McIntosh's stamp of approval, so the issue is relative. Installing it however is not a job for the amateur unfortunately but once done, it should never be an issue again.

The C32 was a significant new product at the time of its introduction in 1977 and is still a highly regarded preamplifier.

Congratulations and enjoy. :music:

I recapped my C32 a few weeks ago. I also replaced the ribbon cables myself. They were not in that bad of shape really, but when I went in to remove the boards I had to unhook them from their positions, and this caused them to crumble a bit. So, I replaced. It sounds beautiful!

My dear friend @damacman will say MC7270 or (possibly MC7300) but my vote would go to the MC2205 which is the (period correct) ideal compliment to the C32. Second to that, I would go with MC2255 which is slightly more refined but still a good match to the C32.

Recently a new ribbon cable kit has been manufactured for the C32 and I believe it has received McIntosh's stamp of approval, so the issue is relative. Installing it however is not a job for the amateur unfortunately but once done, it should never be an issue again.

The C32 was a significant new product at the time of its introduction in 1977 and is still a highly regarded preamplifier.

Congratulations and enjoy. :music:
The value proposition of the MC7270 just bests the MC2205. The MC2255 and MC7300, while both great amps, don't offer the same value proposition of the MC7270 as they command top market prices. I've never looked, but maybe Mc just made a bunch more MC7270s.

But what are we talking about here? He's got an MC2505 - iconic in every way. If it's not a power issue, I'd likely have it refreshed from top to bottom and enjoy it. http://vinylhive.com/mcintosh-mc2505-the-solid-state-amplifier-that-change-the-world/

Back
Top Bottom