Upgrading to newer receiver - worth it?

tibrocks

Hi All,

I currently have a Yamaha DSP-A2 which is connected to my turntable, cassette player, minidisc player and also a Bluray player..

The Bluray has FHD upscaling so I'm not using the video section of the A2 at all (as it's outdated), it's purely Audio and I think it does a great job!

Now I have the chance to get an Onkyo TX NR5009 receiver with loads of other features but not sure it's worth the change?
It's a massive receiver, power section seems strong and also has a Pure Audio mode which will work great with my older sources.
Not going to use its 4k upscaling for now as I haven't got a 4k TV..

What do you guys think?

Cheers

I don't think the Yamaha DSP-A2 was ever released in the States. At least, not under that part number, so it's hard to draw comparisons. That being said, while I'm a huge Yamaha fan, the DSP-A2 is definitely getting out dated. The Onkyo TX NR5009 should be a big upgrade for you. THX Ultra2 Plus certification, so it will be able to crank out clean high levels of sound. Over twenty five kilos in weight too, so it's well built. I'd go for it, if the price is right?

Last edited:
Thought so, the Yamaha A2 is also ~20 Kg so not far... Price for the Onkyo is good, which is why I'm considering it :)

However, since most of my sources are Audio and intending to use this mostly for music listening, are these new certifications going to count at all? (might sound dumb but won't I need THX-certified speakers as well?)

The reason I'm slightly reluctant is that I won't be using the Video section and the menu itself seems much more complicated than on the Yamaha (obviously due to extra features). I am however interested in the Audyssey room measurements.

Ultimately, will the newer Onkyo represent a big improvement in sound quality over Yamaha?

Thought so, the Yamaha A2 is also ~20 Kg so not far... Price for the Onkyo is good, which is why I'm considering it :)

A score is a score, even if it isn't our preferred brand(s).

However, since most of my sources are Audio and intending to use this mostly for music listening, are these new certifications going to count at all? (might sound dumb but won't I need THX-certified speakers as well?)

THX means different things, to different technologies. Mainly a set of control parameters to test by. THX amps are spec'd to produce XXX amount of watts at XXX volume level in a XXX sized space. So, the Ultra2 Plus certification shows the receiver can power large listening rooms without distortion. THX speakers aren't required. Though if your speakers are of a similar efficiency, you know you can reach those same peak levels too. Here's the Ultra2 Plus description:

"THX Certified Ultra products bring the cinematic experience to larger home theaters, 3,000 cubic feet in size, with a viewing distance of 12 feet or greater from the screen."

The reason I'm slightly reluctant is that I won't be using the Video section and the menu itself seems much more complicated than on the Yamaha (obviously due to extra features). I am however interested in the Audyssey room measurements.

Room correction is nice. Especially Audyssey. I like having DSP EQ tame my room a bit and balance frequency response. But, even though you're mainly interested in the AVR's audio features, don't discount using digital inputs from your mini-disc and Blu-Ray players. The Onkyo's BurrBrown DAC's should be an improvement for you.

Ultimately, will the newer Onkyo represent a big improvement in sound quality over Yamaha?

Only one way to truly find out??? :idea: But, I would think it would be an upgrade in sound. :cool:

Last edited:
I have to add a note of caution which that it's from the era of Onk's which are notorious for HDMI board failures. I'm not sure what the repair situation is since Onkyo stepped up on repairs whether this was or is still covered. I'd at least want to see some kind of solid warranty. I would also note that while it has XT32, it doesn't have SubEq which is helpful if you have dual subs.

Last edited:
Got the TX-NR5009 last evening..
I wish I saw @Putterman's note before though - did my research on HDMI failures now (ouch).

Anything I can do to prevent this? got 2 USB fans on top, have already noticed the video board gets fairly hot... >>>not something I had with the Yamaha :D

Thanks all

Definitely search Onkyo Support. It's different for different countries. But, you should be able to find a link to the Special Service Program page, that covers the Loss of Audio/Network Connection failure. That's the link to the HDMI repair program. Check it out. Enter your serial number, to see if your AVR is covered, if it ever fails?

Yes, I found the special service program in the UK, doesn't look great though - there's no repair option! just exchange for another Onkyo..

Anyway, just dialling in the settings on the new receiver and maybe I'm not familiar with the brand but got a strange one:

For Analogue sources, the tx nr5009 will send signal to the powered (active) subwoofer (onkyo sends line level) plus whichever speaker config I choose, so all good.
BUT if I play a Digital source (ie. Minidisc via Optical or Network Tuner) I don't get any sound from the subwoofer. So if the digital source is 2.0, it plays 2.0 even though I made sure Subwoofer is Enabled in settings and the SW icon lights up on the display.
If the digital source does include the x.1, the subwoofer works just fine..

The downside is that my Front speakers are small(ish) and for 2.0 sources I need the sub to kick in... Don't see why not?

If it's video issues, you might be better off taking your questions to VideoKarma ... all the video gurus hang there.

Every once in a while I very surprised with the audio quality on recent DVD's. Its so much cleaner and clearer than CD's. I wish now DVD-A had been accepted as a viable format. I have a few DVD-A recordings and they are all superb. Digital reproduction has really improved to from other sources. So stepping up would be a no brainer for me. Though I don't believe in Atmos.

I love combining a modern receiver for phone app control (much easier to use than the remote). volume control, and integrating movies, Pandora, PC HDD, etc into my vintage system. I find even some vinyl sounds really fun in surround with a subwoofer. Some, not so much, but it is nice to have options.

Anything I can do to prevent this? got 2 USB fans on top, have already noticed the video board gets fairly hot... >>>not something I had with the Yamaha :D

Thanks all
There are some YouTube videos that show attaching a heat sink to the suspect chip. It seems a reasonable thing to do to me. It's what I would do if I had purchased one of those Onkyos. The fans are a good start, but the heatsink will more directly deal with the specific offender.

Back
Top Bottom