UPS crushed my Merrylander miracle

OMG! Its like viewing pictures from some kind of massacre. My sympathies.

I am blessed to live near Rob and was able to pick up my Merrylander 1020 in person.

+1 I was fortunate to be able to pick up my Merrylander CR2040 in person also.
Regards,
Jim

hmmm, happened to me ALL the time when I ordered from the States through ebay etc (I'm in vancouver Canada).

Thanks to customs messing with my purchases, losing them and finding them weeks later, and opening and repackaging them, I no longer do mail order from the US for anything valuable or one of a kind. It's a shame, I'm limited to Canadian purchases as a result, but I've never had another hickup without dealing with UPS and the border customs.

That's why I'm a craigslist troll now.

Cheers,
Don

Vancouver, BC might be the key word there. Your package must contain drugs--right?

This has happened to me as well. I won on ebay a qx 949a, it was sent to me from the west coast I was on a 3 day vacation and was not home when they delivered.They sent it back! on the third day! Because no one at home , instead of keeping it in the depot .The ebay sender reshiped it and a week later it was delivered again. The inside box was floating and they cracked the wood on the case two sides, also one board was free on the inside the the pegs were poped out. The 2 channel 4 channel box on the back was broken and 3 knobs were bent. I had a back up qx 949 that was non working, and made my new 949a work. No more ups for me. Merrylander you are to be commended.

Living on the border as I do has it's advantages. I've given up getting anything shipped from the US to Canada or vice versa. I have US purchases shipped to a friend's business in Detroit area, pick it up by hand and bring it through Customs myself. If I'm shipping to the US I take the item over, pack it and ship USPS. I didn't start doing things this way because items got opened or trashed (thank goodness), but because I got tired of getting $40 brokerage fees on $10 items. I always claim what I have with me and haven't been charged duty or tax in so long I can't remember. If anyone has need of some help in this way I do cross the border for work fairly often and could possibly be of some help sometimes.

With regard to Canada Post I have to say that I've had people ship me a couple of nice items (Revox B77 and a Scott receiver) with nothing but a single box and a few sheets of newspaper and they arrived fine. Yes, luck and a miracle, but I do think they're gentler on the parcels than most. My fave way of shipping is still Greyhound, but only if I know the person I'm shipping to.

So sorry for the Yammie, it's new owner and for Rob. I hope for a happy ending and many years or great listening to come in spite of the disaster.

Elwood what you saw was not the way I had it packed, there was about $20 of Great Stuff foam in plastic bags on all four corners and on bottom and top. I shoot it into plastic bags. It was also wrapped on about six layers of bubble wrap which also mysteriously disappeared. Whether it was Customs or UPS, someone went to no effort at all to re-wrap that 2020 the way I had it.

The boxes I use I buy from Uline, brand new 275 pound test, about $45 delivered for 15 boxes.

Last edited:
The USPS isn't any better. Around here they carry it around in the back of a pick up, no cover, bouncing around on dirt roads. And if it's raining, oh well!!!

God. What a mess. I cannot get over how they ruined this shipment and then can just skip off into the sunset. You have my full sympathy.

Just finished drawing the full size plans for the case and sent them to my plotter - nice having that big DesignJet. As soon as I get another case off the bench I will start on a new case for it, same African Mahogany. I should hear from UPS pretty soon, they know me well enough that I do not expect any arguments.

Last edited:
Not one to give UPS the benefit of the doubt, it appears from my reading that the main fault lies with Canada Customs Agency. They didn't properly repackage it, but then, they don't have to..do they? Its definitely a risk of sending items cross border. But then again, had UPS handled the box in a professional manner, it wouldn't have been broken even if there was no packing material.

someone said something about a sure way to get top flight shipping pay a fee and its almost a guarantee i cant remember but a search shoulf ferret it out...we should all start using it

wait, i don't get it.

can someone explain why UPS would open the box and repack it like that? and then throw it around to be trashed. i don't get it.... what would be a reason to open someone's package that they're supposed to deliver - they're not customs or police.

edit: i read the whole thing and it seems like it did cross the border, but still, isn't it the custom's job to repack it to the way it was? this really sucks and pisses me off as if it happened to me.

wait, i don't get it.

can someone explain why UPS would open the box and repack it like that? and then throw it around to be trashed. i don't get it.... what would be a reason to open someone's package that they're supposed to deliver - they're not customs or police.

edit: i read the whole thing and it seems like it did cross the border, but still, isn't it the custom's job to repack it to the way it was? this really sucks and pisses me off as if it happened to me.

+1 :yes:

Is UPS paying out anything for the damages?

Scott

There was two or three pages of customs paperwork, so I used one of the transparent pouches on the box and put the shipping label on the top of the papers. It seems that whoever took out the customs papers managed to lose the shipping label so it is quite possible that UPS opened the box and did not re-pack the way I had it packed. All I want at the moment is to get it back here, restore it and build a new case. Then get it safely to David again or if I can't restore it then send him a check.

Just finished drawing the full size plans for the case and sent them to my plotter - nice having that big DesignJet. As soon as I get another case off the bench I will start on a new case for it, same African Mahogany. I should hear from UPS pretty soon, they know me well enough that I do not expect any arguments.

There was two or three pages of customs paperwork, so I used one of the transparent pouches on the box and put the shipping label on the top of the papers. It seems that whoever took out the customs papers managed to lose the shipping label so it is quite possible that UPS opened the box and did not re-pack the way I had it packed. All I want at the moment is to get it back here, restore it and build a new case. Then get it safely to David again or if I can't restore it then send him a check.

Dang Rob,

A guy could do a whole lot worse than hang out with you for awhile - he might learn a thing or two about audio. I know this is a terrible topic and I wish it hadn't happened, but it sure is fun to watch you work.

Back
Top Bottom