UPS crushes my day once again...

More packing ?

They can only add so much packing, maybe they should triple box it. oh wait maybe quadruple box it, maybe put padding between the boxes. Bottom line they really shouldn't be dropping throwing or running over anything. And if everyone that had an issue would start holding the shipper responsible and not just accept that its ok to do this, I get it would get way better than it is now. I didn't mention It but I got speakers a few weeks ago from the best seller I have dealt with, super informative super nice, we talked about shipping. He packed these things as good as you could possibly pack something, while not destroyed UPS managed to crush one corner and chip one corner, the box looked pretty good although your could see where they dropped it on that corner, we showed the rep, nothing, I can give them up and maybe get a refund on a claim but no adjustment for there crappy service.

I agree with the member than mentioned it seems worse than ever lately,

Flaps

So if you know all this abuse exists, and most sellers do too, why wouldn't you pack it better??? Or at least to meet their minimum standards??

The bottom line here is that a bit more padding may have prevented the damage and certainly wouldn't give the UPS or their insurance carrier an out.

Nobody here is saying that UPS didn't beat up the carton. Nobody is giving them a free pass on their handling. I am saying the seller should know that's what happens in transit and didn't package accordingly to protect the goods and ultimately himself.

If that's an eBay or Paypal item, their buyer Protection will cover it if the UPS doesn't and that will come back on the seller.

I purchased it from audiogon, they have some buyer protection. The seller has already offered to refund the money to me. However, this amp was on my very short list. So when it came up for only 1K vs 2400 retail I had to have it.

The crappy thing is even if UPS does approve the claim, it is only fixable, not replaceable. Unless someone else is willing to sell it to me cheap.

First off, sorry man, this sucks.

I can also claim to have had many, yes many UsPs and UPS packages come in very bad shape.
But, so far, no damaged items.
I have also had UPS leave packages on my porch in pouring down rain.

When i bought my Yamaha R-V1103, it was left in the rain. I was so happy to see the seller actually wrapped the receiver a couple times in plastic.
If he wouldn't have done that, i would have had a great boat anchor.

Hey, folks! For smaller less valuable stuff I'll continue to use UPS USPS and Federal Express. But my last big purchase (Speakers) I had them shipped via Greyhound. No conveyorbelts, or big bins to drop in. Although there is no tracking and only estimated arrival time, I still would do it again.

Man, that's some nice class A there. I wonder how hard it would be to replace the rear panel if you could get a new one? Sorry you are having to deal with this. I have been having great luck with USPS, but who knows, the next one could get run over.

It does seem to me that damaged items are on the increase. I have been leaning towards FedEx lately due to UPS damage and the incredible hassle to do a claim. They told me they don't insure against loss of value, just what it costs to fix an item. They stuck a forlist "fork" or something similar into the side of a Marantz 2500 face plate for me. Ugh!! :no:

Huge bummer, but that is one of my favorite pieces of equipment that I've ever owned! Hope you get everything straightened out and get to ENJOY it :D

I cant believe how many members constantly blame the seller and not the crap lousy job these shipping companies do. Like the one fella said, it made it thousands of miles , until UPS got there hands on it.

I think I'd have to agree that the shipping company has to be to blame. I don't have direct experience of UPS in the US, but I use domestic shipping companies in Japan all the time. They are cheap, fast, efficient, and the products arrive undamaged every time. In the audio field, I've bought turntables, open reel tape decks (which were always single-boxed), and amplifiers. Not one problem ever.

It does seem to me that the shipping company has a strong responsibility to try and ensure that the goods arrive undamaged - it's their business to do exactly that, and if it can be done in one country, why not another?

Last edited:
As someone whom has seen the inside of a busy UPS Hub, it is scary to see how some Package Handlers deal with UPS boxes. In their defense, they are paid close to minimum wage to handle thousands of boxes a night stacking them into tractor trailers or throwing them from the trailers onto belts. It's tedious and ball-busting work for very little money and their turnover is horrific in the Hubs. They handle millions of packages a day nationwide, and there are damages due to handling during shipment.

To guard against this, items such as our stereo rigs have to be VERY well packaged. If not, damage is bound to happen.

OP;
So sorry you had this damage. I know it's heart breaking.

First off, sorry man, this sucks.

I can also claim to have had many, yes many UsPs and UPS packages come in very bad shape.
But, so far, no damaged items.
I have also had UPS leave packages on my porch in pouring down rain.

When i bought my Yamaha R-V1103, it was left in the rain. I was so happy to see the seller actually wrapped the receiver a couple times in plastic.
If he wouldn't have done that, i would have had a great boat anchor.

I hear you there, I have issues with the FedEx driver in my neck of the woods. He left my Musical Fidelity SDAC behind my trash can, in two feet of wet grass that is on the dirt road a 100 yards from my house, then had the audacity to mark it as delivered to my porch! I've complained about this guy three times. Funny thing is the UPS guy does bring it right to my porch, I had the opposite problem in Washington - I think it really matters on who you get. My USPS gal is the best I've ever had experience with, personality and care.

Good Luck, but that's not 2" of padding on those terminals and that's on the seller. Don't be shocked if the UPS puts it back on him and rightfully so.

Seeing as your deflection is less than 1/2", proper padding may have prevented this.

I wish you well and am glad that as of right now only an invisible in use cosmetic issue is the flaw.

My opinion is that should be on ups. To me it doesn't matter the thickness of padding. If these shippers cared about the customers this wouldn't have happened even in just a cardboard box.

It's like the beginning of ace ventura. They don't care about the item all that matters is if the package is on time not the condition of the package. Size of the package matters in shipping cost and I think it's ridiculous you have to pay more to ship something just because it has to be padded so well. Once again if they truly cared about the customer and not their back pocket this wouldn't happen.

My opinion is that should be on ups. To me it doesn't matter the thickness of padding. If these shippers cared about the customers this wouldn't have happened...

No, it shouldn't be on UPS, and, yes, the thickness of the padding does matter, a lot, and, yes, they do care. It's the machines that don't care.

...this wouldn't have happened even in just a cardboard box.

That's simply ridiculous.

Let me wrap this up (no pun intended :D):

There are two, and only two, ways an item can be damaged in shipping:

1. The item is damaged due to an outside impact that crushes the outer box and inner packing deeply enough that damage occurs. In this case there is almost always visible damage on the outside of the box: crushed corners, boot prints, truck tire tracks, holes where the forklift spears went through, etc., etc..

2. The item is damaged due to an impact against the inside of the packaging when the item shifted back and forth, such as when the box is thrown, slammed against another box, falls off the conveyor belt, etc., etc.. In this case, there is usually no visible crushing or structural impairment to the outside of the box. Important note: Double boxing WILL NOT protect against damage if the item is not adequately separated from the inside box, or if the item can move AT ALL inside the box. That's what happened here.

In the case of 1. above, the damage is usually on the shipper, unless the item was inadequately packed.

In the case of 2. above, the damage is on the seller, always. If there is no crush or impact damage to the outside to the box, then the damage is due to what happened inside the box. Period.

A damaged item inside an undamaged box is positive proof of inadequate or inappropriate packing methods.

Last edited:
Seems like a perfect thread for the Packing & Shipping Forum. :D

(We can all help keep AK tidy and organized, thank you!)

Rob

Holy cow, I never even noticed. Done!:thmbsp:

And thank you for all you do! :thmbsp:

I just noticed the place is getting all jumbled up lately. I know it's Summer, but posters should help out and not always have someone pickup after them, no offense to OP.

Thanks again Fisherdude,

Rob

And thank you for all you do! :thmbsp:

I just noticed the place is getting all jumbled up lately. I know it's Summer, but posters should help out and not always have someone pickup after them, no offense to OP.

Thanks again Fisherdude,

Rob

Sorry i didn't even know that there was this section in AK. Thanks

No, it shouldn't be on UPS, and, yes, the thickness of the padding does matter, a lot, and, yes, they do care. It's the machines that don't care.

That's simply ridiculous.

Let me wrap this up (no pun intended :D):

There are two, and only two, ways an item can be damaged in shipping:

1. The item is damaged due to an outside impact that crushes the outer box and inner packing deeply enough that damage occurs. In this case there is almost always visible damage on the outside of the box: crushed corners, boot prints, truck tire tracks, holes where the forklift spears went through, etc., etc..

2. The item is damaged due to an impact against the inside of the packaging when the item shifted back and forth, such as when the box is thrown, slammed against another box, falls off the conveyor belt, etc., etc.. In this case, there is usually no visible crushing or structural impairment to the outside of the box. Important note: Double boxing WILL NOT protect against damage if the item is not adequately separated from the inside box, or if the item can move AT ALL inside the box. That's what happened here.

In the case of 1. above, the damage is usually on the shipper, unless the item was inadequately packed.

In the case of 2. above, the damage is on the seller, always. If there is no crush or impact damage to the outside to the box, then the damage is due to what happened inside the box. Period.

A damaged item inside an undamaged box is positive proof of inadequate or inappropriate packing methods.
Yes packing does matter. I stated it like I did because I am at ups quite.often when they are unloading trucks and can hear them toss packages around. And I know how they treat them when they bring them to me and slam them on the counter. That's way I say they don't care about the customer. Just my opinion, not starting a fight.

Back
Top Bottom