UPS crushes my day once again...

There are two pieces of advice that I can give that I feel are vital for a decent chance for safe delivery.

1. First and foremost never ship anything UPS doing so is only asking for your item to be destroyed. I flat out refuse to ship with them period.

2. If you want it packed correctly pack it yourself this is the only way you can be sure that is packed as it should be.

There is always the risk that no matter how well you pack and no matter what service you use that your item will be damaged but if you follow the above 2 steps your chances are greatly improved.

REGARDS SNOW

You nailed it! UPS sucks and they surely don't know how to pack either. And forget about claims being paid for damage items unless they pack them. And if they do pack them, they will get damaged anyway. They are a ridiculous company that would be better off going bankrupt in my opinion.

Last edited:
You nailed it! UPS sucks and they surely don't know how to pack either. And forget about claims being paid for damage items unless they pack them. And if they do pack them, they will get damaged anyway. They are a ridiculous company that would be better off going bankrupt in my opinion.
The single biggest problem with UPS packing up your item then shipping it other than how the item is mishandled during shipping is that the stores are independent franchises and even though one local store may actually have someone who knows how to pack there is no guarantee that the next one will. There is no standard procedures from store to store that all must follow, you can go to a fast food chain burger joint or the like and 98% of the time the food will be of the same quality and have very little difference in taste from store to store not so with UPS.

I shipped a Denon DP-62L TT once to a fellow in California that literally had been around the world without being damaged it made safely to Europe Asia and the Middle East without so much as a scratch but one trip to California in the loving care of UPS is all it took to destroy it.

This TT was packed in it's original double box with all it's original packing materials then re packed in a second larger double wall box with 2" inches of solid foam sheets on all sides and it still got damaged.

I am not sure how they managed it to be honest but it had to be sheer abuse, never again no matter how much someone insists will I ever ship anything with UPS.

As you stated earlier who cares whether they pay the claim or not if your item gets damaged it is an exercise in frustration and loss.

REGARDS SNOW

Last edited:
Simple question, but when something is referred to as being "double-boxed", that means it is packed within a box, and that box is then packed within another box, with padding inside the first box as well as between each of the two boxes, correct?

I've seen a number of people claim an item is "double-boxed" yet they clearly only used one box. Some seem to think "double-boxed" simply refers to the amount of padding inside the first box, or something along those lines, which really boggles my mind :scratch2:

Probably mixing up double-corrugated with double-boxed. The # of corrugations used makes the box stronger. You can put a ton of weight into a triple-corrugated box if the inner packing holds it firmly in place and prevents stress being concentrated in small areas - which applies both directions, meaning you want to prevent the heavy item from chewing its way OUT of the packing, just as you want to prevent external impact from focusing the energy of the impact on small areas of what's inside the box.

I am going to go out on a limb here and suggest that a particular kind of comment prevalent in this thread be considered by the moderators for inclusion on the list of "Topics that have been beaten to death, and we're done with them". Specifically, the statement that "X freight carrier or Y mail service or Z freight carrier is the worst". Literally EVERY thread that speaks about shipping damage will contain one or more such assertions, always based on that particular member's personal experience (at least, the experiences they remember now or that hurt the most).

And, virtually every one of these threads also has such assertions that name every one of the commonly available domestic services i.e. UPS, USPS, Fedex. Then, almost invariably someone else (presumably that understands the logical futility of those collected statements) points out that it isn't who you ship with, but how you pack the item in question, that mostly determines whether it gets delivered in one piece. I happen to believe that personally but it has become so repetitive and so widely ignored by the UPS haters, the USPS haters, and the Fedex haters here on AK that it's also become a waste of time posting it.

Just a suggestion, ymmv.

John

Back
Top Bottom