UPS no longer honors claims on vintage items .

diamondsouled

Recycle belly button lint!
Just got a letter back from UPS claims:

We are unable to honor your claim because Vintage One of A Kind Items Are Accepted For Carriage By UPS At The Shipper's Own Risk Therefore No Claims Shall Be Processed For Lass Or Damage.

F_ ckers are never getting my business again.

Not sure if they're even going to return the Deuce they destroyed.

Am I ever angry. UPS :thumbsdn:

People who ship vintage stuff through them must be giving them a lot of trouble.

More trouble than the market share is worth.

I'm sure they can get away with this as vintage one-of-a-kind items aren't anywhere near the majority of their business.

I always viewed shipping stuff like this as at-your-own-risk anyway because if destroyed all they can do is give you money, not replace the item.

Someone told me that UPS is self-insured rather than with an external independant company and thats a large part of why they are so reluctant to honor claims. I do not know if there is truth to that but it would make sense.

We are unable to honor your claim because Vintage One of A Kind Items Are Accepted For Carriage By UPS At The Shipper's Own Risk Therefore No Claims Shall Be Processed For Lass Or Damage.

I would challenge them on this. From their website:
"Declared Value

Gain peace of mind when shipping your domestic and international packages
Description UPS's liability is limited to US$100.00 on packages with no declared value. If the value of your goods exceeds US$100.00, you can declare a higher value, up to US$50,000.00 per package, by entering the declared value in the UPS shipping system used and paying an additional charge. Declared Value charges for freight collect and third-party shipments may be billed to your shipper account. For more information, refer to ups.com/terms. "

If they don't post that disclaimer on their website I don't think they can weasel out of paying.

Here's a link to UPS' Terms Of Service. I saw nothing in here about Vintage One Of A Kind Equipment. If it wasn't in the agreement when you shipped it, and they didn't advise you of it, my guess is they can't get out of paying you for damages. I'm no lawyer, but I'm sure someone here will be happy to weigh in on this.
http://www.ups.com/media/en/terms_service_us.pdf

Ups

That's "Jacked-Up" big time! :thumbsdn:

What a lame excuse to weasel themselve's out of paying for damage's or loss on their account! :no:

Wow - this REALLY sucks. Maybe all the more reason to ship by USPS, and insist (and pay extra for) bomb proof packing? I've done that with some sellers on ebay. Before I bid, I sent them a question about packing. If I were to pay X amount of money on top of their shipping charge, would they be willing to follow my specific packing instructions? Most sellers are happy to oblige, and (so far) nothing has been damaged - even over a dozen turntables. It shouldn't have to be this way, but I do it for a little extra piece of mind.

I've always disliked them. I'm a moderator on a vintage bamboo fly rod forum and someone there had a similar experience with an irreplaceable item. One member volunteered that his wife was a claims adjuster for UPS. Someone requested that he ask her "whats the quickest and best way to get a claim paid?" Her reply - "I can't say, I've never paid one".

That's "Jacked-Up" big time! :thumbsdn:

What a lame excuse to weasel themselve's out of paying for damage's or loss on their account! :no:

:no: makes not wanna use them! :thumbsdn: not cool..

UPS "what can brown do for you?"

ME "Brown can go to Hell!"

If they won't pay the claim, they don't own the damaged piece, so they should send it back to you and then you'll have to deal with the seller/shipper. "Should" is the operative word, no telling what they're gonna do.

Looks like UPS is no longer gonna deal with our stuff. :thumbsdn:

Someone once suggested that one not use the terms "vintage" and "antique" as they flag for trouble due to a suggestion of increased value. Simply ship an item as what it is and file accordingly.

Preamp will get paid a lot easier than "vintage preamp"

Last edited:
Somelne once suggested that one not use the terms "vintage" and "antique" as they flag for trouble due to a suggestion of increased value. Simply ship an item as shat it is and fild accordingly.

Preamp will get paid a lot easier than "vintage preamp"

+1!! :yes:

Also check if the place you shipped it from has insurance, I once had a printing shop pay a claim and they took it up with UPS, they can at least threaten to switch to Fedex. :sigh:

I tried to insure a pair of large tar filled Altec horns that the buyer insisted be shipped UPS.
I used 2" high density foam on all sides,and used bags of cushion foam scraps to fill the voids and keep the horns from shifting in the boxes.
" Did you use bubble wrap ? "....." no,I used 2'' high density foam "....
"sorry,they need to be wrapped in bubble wrap,or we can't insure them "
:wtf:...at over 75lbs each,what good would bubble wrap do ? ...:scratch2:

At this point, you would need to work with UPS to come to a an agreement to get insurance.

I would ask what bubble wrap they recommend in combination with your 2" density foam if you think your foam would still be safer and required. You already filled some voids with foam scraps - maybe there is some room for bubble wrap instead. Maybe the bubble wrap can add some flexible cushion to reduce the impact when they fall off the truck racks or toss it to the porch from their minimum 5 ft approach requirement.

:no: makes not wanna use them! :thumbsdn: not cool..

UPS "what can brown do for you?"

ME "Brown can go to Hell!"

haha nice :thmbsp: I have never used ups to ship any of my items. i use fedex for the really heavy stuff and USPS for the "normal" stuff.

I'm increasingly coming to the conclusion that no shipper is good. Given any 2 week period I can probably find a thread about UPS, USPS or FedEx problems. Maybe I'll just stick to buying local.

Back
Top Bottom