UPS packages , a question of weight.

Ohighway

Wannabe Minimalist
Subscriber
So I'm stocking up on automotive maintenance supplies, and placed an online order from Walmart for 5 quart jugs of full synth Mobil 1 oil. I ordered qty 8 of these.

Pull up to the house and there's a big box sitting on the porch. All 8 jugs crammed into one box. For reference, each jug comes in at 9.6 lbs each, so for all intents and purposes, the big old box is hovering right around 80 lbs!

My poor UPS guy!! Are they expected to wrestle with boxes this heavy?

Last edited:
I thought UPS weight limit to be 70#. And yes they are expected to handle that type of freight.

Size is now the big hitter. I sent my Big Onk to blhagstrom from Florida to the MW. The box I used was oversized and it cost me $150. When he sent it back, he sent it in a smaller box and it only cost me $70.

When I was 19, I worked for UPS unloading the big trucks.
One after another. We were allotted 40 minutes per semi load. A crew of four.

Don't know if it's still the same, but at the time drivers didn't even load their own delivery vans.
Union job. Relatively nice pay.
Compared to what I did, a real plum of a job.

Once upon a time, maximum box size was 101 inches, measured around the largest circumference of a box (all check-in windows always had a length of what looked like window sash chain hanging there, clearly marked at the 101-inch point, which would get wrapped around any suspect packages), and maximum weight was 70 pounds. Nowadays, surcharges rule, and any packages exceeding a certain size or weight get a hefty surcharge applied. It`s all about the dough-ray-me.....

Once upon a time, maximum box size was 101 inches, ..... and maximum weight was 70 pounds. Nowadays, surcharges rule, and any packages exceeding a certain size or weight get a hefty surcharge applied. It`s all about the dough-ray-me.....

All the more reason I find this confusing. That 80# weight has to be surcharge worthy. Also, last time I ordered oil from them (qty 4 that time) it ended up arriving in two separate boxes with 2 jugs each. Much more manageable for the UPS guy ....and for me.

UPS limit is 150 pounds.

Retailers, like Amazon and Walmart got competitive deals from UPS and others.

UPS, FedEx and USPS whored out shipping to the big boys and are putting the screws to casual shippers like you and I.

I get 50 pounds of popcorn from Amazon for small money and free shipping. Bulk corn is cheap, but not that cheap. It’s still bagged, boxed, handled and delivered so I know the shipping cost has to be slave rate.

The FedEx rate to ship from Seattle to KY through Ebay global shipping program is dirt cheap and the labels always say overnight!
There is an old boy network deal there for sure.

Drop ship from a warehouse versus on the shelf retail price is quite a bit different. Most of retail price is overhead and not product cost.

Retail stores add a lot of overhead.

From my farm background, A $4 loaf of bread has like 10 cents of wheat in it.

The jugs the oil came in might cost as much to make as the oil they hold.

Point being, they still made money and that’s why online is killing brick and mortar.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom