UPS Shipping Damage - MC2205.

I went through this with a Mac and a Marantz, the Mac was estimated by a local Mac dealer for repair costs, submitted it to Fedex and was reimbursed within a couple weeks. The Marantz claim was useless with UPS, they jerked me around forever, the store that shipped it paid the claimed even though the customer packed it, he told UPS to reimburse him the store or he's switching to Fedex. Not sure where that ever ended up? I got my refund for the price of the Marantz and moved on, remember, sometimes the shipping facility also has insurance, it's wise for the seller to check with whoever shipped it. Sorry to see this damage, Dave. :tears:

You shouldn't just hope - when buying top dollar items like MX132's and 134s on Ebay a prospective buyer needs to carefully check the seller's feedback, make sure the seller has successfully sold audio equipment, and find out how the seller intends to pack the units.

The ONLY acceptable method to package these guys is the factory double box system. You realize those pre-amps are as hefty as many amplifiers - they are not light units and they need to be just as carefully packaged as a Mac amp.

Thanks for the good advice Cleve. It was my assumption that the amp seller would take extra caution in the packaging to protect the product to keep the profit in his pocket - at least that is what I would do if I was the seller. My bad assumption I guess:thumbsdn:.

Both the pre-amps were professionally packaged and shipped by UPS per the seller. They are scheduled to arrive at my door sometime today:D. I am getting my digital camera charged up and ready to go. Thanks.

Paul

I went through this with a Mac and a Marantz, the Mac was estimated by a local Mac dealer for repair costs, submitted it to Fedex and was reimbursed within a couple weeks. The Marantz claim was useless with UPS, they jerked me around forever, the store that shipped it paid the claimed even though the customer packed it, he told UPS to reimburse him the store or he's switching to Fedex. Not sure where that ever ended up? I got my refund for the price of the Marantz and moved on, remember, sometimes the shipping facility also has insurance, it's wise for the seller to check with whoever shipped it. Sorry to see this damage, Dave. :tears:
Thanks for sharing your previous experience. I sent an email to the seller last night to inform him that I want the full refund ASAP so I can start looking for the replacement. He can deal with the UPS claim on his own and I will help out as needed. I just don't see how the case can be closed quickly due to slow response from the seller and holidays are just around the corner.

Can I contact Paypal or eBay directly for my full refund - after explaining the situation? How long does it usually take for Paypal or eBay to reimburse you on a case like this? Or will my case even qualify for such reimbursement?

I just want to start shopping for the amp replacement right away.

Paul

Your local 'UPS Store' can not pack a McIntosh unit with a glass faceplate so it will arrive undamaged. UPS is well aware of the proper packing for McIntosh so if you are not using a factory carton you will be looking at big repairs or scrappage of a unit.
Any packing, bubble pack or corn curls that touch the faceplate will break the glass in shipping. Factory packing is designed so nothing touches the glass which is why it works.

Thanks again,
Ron-C

Both the pre-amps were professionally packaged and shipped by UPS per the seller. They are scheduled to arrive at my door sometime today:D. I am getting my digital camera charged up and ready to go. Thanks.

Paul

Keep that camera handy. The only damage claim I've had to pursue with UPS was a turntable "professionally packaged and shipped by UPS per the seller".
They were pretty quick about settling the claim though. Perhaps because having done both the packing and shipping they couldn't deny responsibility.

Filing a claim with UPS is certain to result in a denied claim due to the grossly inadequate packing. In addition, the claim process will note that the packing included misused / misappropriated materials. Specifically, the seller utilized USPS Priority Mail tape (the blue tape with the eagle logo) on the internal packing. Use of this tape on other than USPS Priority Mail packages is a Federal offense. Keep that issue in your pocket for backup as you work with the seller.

Your next step should be to immediately open a "problem" case (select "resolve a problem" for this item in your items "won" list) with eBay for the following reason: "My item doesn't match the seller's description". This will start the clock with eBay and ultimately, with PayPal (which is owned by eBay). Do not attempt to resolve the issue solely via eBay messages or worse, via standard email. The problem needs to be addressed in an official and documented manner. Waiting for the seller to file a claim is only going to result in lost time for you. After the case is opened, you have two options: 1. Obtain a repair estimate yourself and ask for the seller to refund you the repair amount or 2. Return the amp for a full refund, including shipping costs, BOTH ways. If the seller is not willing to do either of the two, then you would pursue the issue with PayPal. Specifically, your payment is refunded in full and you may still be able to keep the item. Keeping the item after your payment has been refunded is not the honest thing to do, so, I would have the seller fund the return shipping costs and then return the amp to the seller.

Long story short, you did not receive the item in the condition described in the auction, and this was due entirely to the seller's gross negligence with packing. Good luck!

Another shipping damage in a week - MX132 this time...

Keep that camera handy. The only damage claim I've had to pursue with UPS was a turntable "professionally packaged and shipped by UPS per the seller".
They were pretty quick about settling the claim though. Perhaps because having done both the packing and shipping they couldn't deny responsibility.

I hate to report it but just received both pre-amps MX132 and MX134 in two separate boxes about an hour ago from UPS truck. I could not see any signs of the boxes being drop to the ground (took some photos). The first box I opened happened to be MX132 and found the front glass panel shattered (see photos) other than that every looks OK. For the MX134, no damages that I could see so this is good at least I can still hook it up to my system.

Both packages were "Professionally Packed & Shipped By Postal Annex" as shown in one of the photos. Hopefully the seller can get reimbursed quickly.

I sent an email to the seller that I want the full refund on the MX132 ASAP so I can start shopping for another Mcintosh...

Not a good week for me really. I think I will very likely only buy locally from now on. I don't mind driving a few hours for the pick up. It's sad and painful to see such damages on such lovely piece of Mcintosh equipments.

Paul

Attachments

• IMG_6931.jpg
    IMG_6931.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_6979.JPG
    IMG_6979.JPG
    141.3 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_6932.jpg
    IMG_6932.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_6943.jpg
    IMG_6943.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 138
Thanks FredVMI

Filing a claim with UPS is certain to result in a denied claim due to the grossly inadequate packing. In addition, the claim process will note that the packing included misused / misappropriated materials. Specifically, the seller utilized USPS Priority Mail tape (the blue tape with the eagle logo) on the internal packing. Use of this tape on other than USPS Priority Mail packages is a Federal offense. Keep that issue in your pocket for backup as you work with the seller.

Your next step should be to immediately open a "problem" case (select "resolve a problem" for this item in your items "won" list) with eBay for the following reason: "My item doesn't match the seller's description". This will start the clock with eBay and ultimately, with PayPal (which is owned by eBay). Do not attempt to resolve the issue solely via eBay messages or worse, via standard email. The problem needs to be addressed in an official and documented manner. Waiting for the seller to file a claim is only going to result in lost time for you. After the case is opened, you have two options: 1. Obtain a repair estimate yourself and ask for the seller to refund you the repair amount or 2. Return the amp for a full refund, including shipping costs, BOTH ways. If the seller is not willing to do either of the two, then you would pursue the issue with PayPal. Specifically, your payment is refunded in full and you may still be able to keep the item. Keeping the item after your payment has been refunded is not the honest thing to do, so, I would have the seller fund the return shipping costs and then return the amp to the seller.

Long story short, you did not receive the item in the condition described in the auction, and this was due entirely to the seller's gross negligence with packing. Good luck!

Thanks much FredVMI for such great advice as this is very helpful to me since this is ALL new to me. Your advice could not have come at a better time since I just got another shipping damage today on my MX132 (the MX134 make it in one piece though). I will go ahead an open a case with eBay per your advice and hopefully I can get my full refund quickly. I don't want to keep the amp nor I want to get it repaired - too much effort and time consuming. Just want the money back and start shopping for the replacement. This is exactly what I told the seller via standard email.

Thanks again.

Paul

Your local 'UPS Store' can not pack a McIntosh unit with a glass faceplate so it will arrive undamaged. UPS is well aware of the proper packing for McIntosh so if you are not using a factory carton you will be looking at big repairs or scrappage of a unit.
Any packing, bubble pack or corn curls that touch the faceplate will break the glass in shipping. Factory packing is designed so nothing touches the glass which is why it works.

Thanks again,
Ron-C
Thanks ron_c for sharing more details of proper packaging. I just don't feel comfortable any more with shipping so I will only buy locally from now on. I will keep your advice in mind in case I need to ship something out for repair.

Paul

Sorry to hear about your troubles, I commend you for taking the higher path and accepting the cards dealt. We can only live and learn.
A few things that may have not been spelled out: technically, no carrier is better than the other. The workers who schelp the boxes do not get paid for their kid glove skills, it's about productivity.
Heavy gear, is a lose/lose, unless the seller specifies two boxes and a wood frame. In that event and proper insurance, things get expensive.

Not a good week for me really. I think I will very likely only buy locally from now on. I don't mind driving a few hours for the pick up. It's sad and painful to see such damages on such lovely piece of Mcintosh equipments.

Paul

Arrrgh, as an owner of an MX-132, I'm very sorry to see that. I was afraid something like that would happen when I read your post. As Ron C explained, glass-faced Mac equipment has to be shipped in such a way so that the glass doesn't make contact with the box during transit. The factory double boxes are designed to prevent the glass from touching the box - and there is sturdy 'air space' between glass and carton.

You were VERY lucky the MX-134 didn't suffer the same fate. I think with the high volume of packages shipped at Christmas, it also increases the likelihood of shipping damage.

If you are EVER planning to ship any of your Mac equipment, order the double box shipping cartons from the McIntosh factory. I believe you can order them for equipment as old as the Mc2205.

...If you are EVER planning to ship any of your Mac equipment, order the double box shipping cartons from the McIntosh factory. I believe you can order them for equipment as old as the Mc2205.

I will order shipping cartons from the Mac factory after the holidays. I am still shopping for another amplifier (will be one of these three: MC2205, 2255 or 7270) and this will determine the type of carton to buy.

Update:
The seller responded to my email promptly (so nice of him/her) then later the packer/shipper company also called me on my cell phone. So tomorrow the UPS will pickup the damaged item for an inspection at their facility. I will see if the inspection can be done at my house. Just want to close this issue ASAP and also don't want further damage to the unit during shipping back.

About my MC2205, I just opened a case with eBay today but not really sure what is the next action. The eBay system states that I should wait for the seller to respond by Dec 29. So not sure if there is anything else I can do to expedite the refund. The seller promised to call me today (after he contacted the UPS about the claim) but did not hear from him. Will ring him tomorrow for the update.

Thanks all and hope someone can learn something from here.

Paul

Paul

When you get this resolved, you can't go wrong with any of those 3 amps? I love my Mc2205 - it's also historically significant in that it was McIntosh's first amplifier to offer Power Guard AND the now famous McIntosh blue meters.

Good thing you asked...

:scratch2:So have we a response? Inquiring minds want to know. Nosey sort ain't we.

Yes I have update.

On MC2205:
1. UPS denied the claim due to improper packing by the seller and now the seller is getting a lawyer to help fight this with the UPS.
2. In the mean time I still have gotten my refund yet and very frustrated.
3. I have escalated the case to the eBay customer support and doesn't seems like it is going anywhere either. Finally this week they told me they have reviewed my case and decided in my favor and asked me to go ahead and return the item to the seller and once received they would release the fund back to me.
4. I dropped off the package at a UPS store today.
5. All I can do now is wait...

On MX132:
1. The UPS denied the claim at first and after providing more photos of the damage and other info they reversed their decision but need to provide a letter from a third service party stating the unit is not repairable in a timely manner. The seller got that done and has sent that to the UPS.
2. UPS will pick up the damaged unit soon.
3. Check should be in the mail in the next few days (x'ing my fingers).

This is the main reason I no longer buy McIntosh product online.

Thanks. Paul

Seller of the 2205 is an idiot. He's not going to get anywhere. Did you pay via Paypal with your credit card? If so, dispute the charge with your credit card company & be done with it. The seller seems like the type who will jerk you around for a while.

-Dave

Last edited:
Sounds like all is well, except for all the time and hassle. Payment in first case is promised by eBay when he shows he returned it (tracking number linked to delivery notice, I suppose), and the check is more or less in the mail in the second case.

I get sick everytime I see beautiful Mac equipment like this get destroyed.

I would truly wonder just how many pieces of Mac gear they have ruined over the years? Of course, sometimes it isn't their fault in a way, due to poor packing, but I would bet the number is in the multiple 1000's. Mark

McNewbie, you can buy online, just choose well from whom you buy. Audio Classics, banner below, for example, sells their used pieces online, and they pack properly, with factory materials.

Buying Mac gear online can be done safely, but the shipping must be done neither cheaply nor lazily.

Back
Top Bottom